Camplite 16DB vs Escape 19 Trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Like the dry bath in the camplite, as well as the slide option. The sizing would be a sweet spot for those lamenting the loss of the escape 15/13 too.

Escape is local and has some amazing options available.

If you can make it to the Osoyoos rally, so much the better from a shopping perspective.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Like the dry bath in the camplite, as well as the slide option.
Slide? If you mean the optional street-side bed, that's a "tip out" (or fold-out): the upper part of the wall folds down to become a bed platform, covered by a tent section like one end of a tent trailer (or "pop-up"). This make it "hybrid" in common travel trailer terminology.

True, none of the moulded fiberglass travel trailer manufacturers have any kind of extension (slide or fold-out), in part because the shell is the structure so large openings are structural problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
The sizing would be a sweet spot for those lamenting the loss of the escape 15/13 too.
A smaller model might be, but the 16DB is the same size as an Escape 19-foot. Like most RV manufacturers, Camplite designates their trailers by body length, rather than by overall length.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I like the floorplan on the camplite, but I don't see any upper cabinets?
The cabinets are better shown in the gallery. Similarly, the Escape interior is better seen with the pictures on the ETI website than in just the floorplan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Yeah the gallery is where it looked like there was maybe 1/10th of the overhead cupboard space in the camplite vs the escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The cabinets are better shown in the gallery. Similarly, the Escape interior is better seen with the pictures on the ETI website than in just the floorplan.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Would not want to use canvas in bear country. Also don't want to deal with wet canvas.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I shopped the Camplite 16BHB. I like the interior layout, and the materials were appealing. Not a real home feeling, but nice. If you can find a used one priced right, might be worth the investment. After seeing an Escape 19, it is hard for me to look at anything besides the Airstreams that I can't afford.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:15 PM   #17

Trailer: '21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Like many others, we looked at Camplite all aluminum trailers. What sealed the deal, since we intend to camp in shoulder seasons (down to 20F), was the availability of winter options from ETI, such as spray foam underbody, extra insulation in walls, thermal windows, etc. A close second was the absence of visible interior aluminum which my wife thought was tacky. Another Escape bonus was the inherent sound deadening properties of fiberglass vs. aluminum. And finally, as many others have mentioned, the willingness of Escape to modify the trailer options to suit our "tastes" (or quirks, to some). Since I am the chief dishwasher in the family, I really, really, wanted an oversize sink. And I got it!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 17b
Also, be sure to remember the loonie is at about 80% of the US dollar right now, so you'll get a good discount on the advertised Escape price.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19' 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
I have narrowed my list down to two possible trailers, the Escape 19 and the Camplite 16DB...... A little bit about myself: 56yr old retired widowed male(so would be travelling alone), about 6'3" tall(lots of low trailer roofs out there- darn it!). I plane to spend 4 months wintering in southern parts of US and would split campgrounds and boondocking. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DBL Cab 6cyl with the 6' bed. Last trailer I owned was 15yrs ago. Advice would be welcome! Thanks, Mark...
As others have said, the Camplite seems to have less overhead (handy) storage. It's hard to believe, but I think it also has less kitchen counter space than the Escape 19. The larger tanks on the Camplite would be nice. For long term camping and boondocking I'd recommend a solar panel. Escape has this option where I don't see it for the Camplite. Overall the Camplite has a good number of options, but not nearly what Escape offers.

If I were travelling alone I'd get an Escape 17. For you the head room may be a concern though. You'll have to get a tour to see. I second the suggestion of going to the Osoyoos rally, chance to see lots of Escapes and options.

Best of luck with your decision.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #20

Trailer: Trying to decide on a trailer!
Thanks to all for all the replies and advice! Only concerns I have with the Escape 19- not a dry bathroom and ceiling height in there is only 6 feet / awning seems very dated and not in line with such a nice trailer. Price wise the Escape would be close or slightly more.

MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote