Camplite 16DB vs Escape 19 Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Trying to decide on a trailer!
Camplite 16DB vs Escape 19 Trailer

Have been reading the Escape forum for about a month now(and joined up yesterday) and researching for a new trailer the past six. I have narrowed my list down to two possible trailers, the Escape 19 and the Camplite 16DB. Both are around 19 feet and close in weight. I am looking for as much feedback that you all can give me. Any pros and cons that you can see with my choices would be very welcome and helpful. A little bit about myself: 56yr old retired widowed male(so would be travelling alone), about 6'3" tall(lots of low trailer roofs out there- darn it!). I plane to spend 4 months wintering in southern parts of US and would split campgrounds and boondocking. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DBL Cab 6cyl with the 6' bed. Last trailer I owned was 15yrs ago. Advice would be welcome! Thanks, Mark...
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Mark.

You do know all opinions here will be biased towards the Escape, but with good reason. I am sure if you have been snooping around here for a month now, you realize how much everyone loves the product. They are a well built unit, that will last a very long time.

I have looked at the Camplite trailers before, and they definitely are very well made too, they just lack the continuous fiberglass shell with no seams. Have you compared pricing of the two, and how does that look?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Hi Mark. I'm new to Camplite but they seem quite well made. Very versatile floor plans and lots of choices. They are heavier but your Tacoma should handle that ok, I don't think I'd go any heavier, tho. I traded from a Casita to a Lazy Daze RV then to Escape. I was mucho impressed with aluminum construction of the LD. Built like a tank!

Like Jim said, you'll find an Escape bias here but most of us have traded from something else so we probably aren't like the "Kool aid drinkers" you'll find on some brands forums.

Me? After a bunch of years with 17 to 19'ers, I find that a 19' lightweight trailer like our Escape 19 is optimal, just wish there was a little different seating option like the swivel chairs in the Casita.

Good luck.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 17b
If you're looking at resale value, go for the Escape. And there's a reason for that...
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
As Jim said, we are probably biased toward Escape trailers. I quickly looked up Camplite trailers and they look pretty well built. Camplite has larger tanks for liquids while Escape has 15 inch wheels verses 13 in on the Camplite. When we were trailer shopping, we only compared fiberglass to fiberglass and Escape came out on top. Plus we just like the looks and styling of the Escape trailers. I don't know about prices, as Escape shows theirs while I did not see any listed for Camplite. That could make a big difference in the final decision for some folks. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Have been reading the Escape forum for about a month now(and joined up yesterday) and researching for a new trailer the past six. I have narrowed my list down to two possible trailers, the Escape 19 and the Camplite 16DB. Both are around 19 feet and close in weight. I am looking for as much feedback that you all can give me. Any pros and cons that you can see with my choices would be very welcome and helpful. A little bit about myself: 56yr old retired widowed male(so would be travelling alone), about 6'3" tall(lots of low trailer roofs out there- darn it!). I plane to spend 4 months wintering in southern parts of US and would split campgrounds and boondocking. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DBL Cab 6cyl with the 6' bed. Last trailer I owned was 15yrs ago. Advice would be welcome! Thanks, Mark...
Some of us (including me) might be the wrong persons to ask Mark, since we're pretty biased towards molded fiberglass, and Escapes in particular. I like that the Camplite uses an all aluminum construction, which gets around the problems of rust, corrosion and rot on most stick built trailers.

Escapes have superb resale value, and a stellar reputation on the RV industry. Not knowing enough about the Camplite, at first glance, I'd say it looks like a nice unit. I didn't consider a stick built though. Wanted molded fiberglass for a variety of reasons. Durability was important, but style was important too. I have always preferred the look of an egg rather than a boxier unit, but to each his own.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19
I looked at lots of trailers, then I got a look at a 17B escape. What a difference in the quality of the product! I was sold on escape from that point on! Originally, I ordered a 17b, but since have decided on 19, sight unseen!

Look at trailers from both companies, then decide.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
There will certainly be a pro-Escape bias in this forum, but asking the same question of Camplite fans and compiling the responses might provide some useful points.

All I can add to the discussion is that it is well worth stepping inside both trailers and getting a feeling for how comfortable you are with the interior finish. I've been in various models of each brand, and the two manufacturers have taken very different approaches in the finish details.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I like the floorplan on the camplite, but I don't see any upper cabinets? It looks like it would have a lot less storage than the escape, unless I'm missing something!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I like the floorplan on the camplite, but I don't see any upper cabinets? It looks like it would have a lot less storage than the escape, unless I'm missing something!
They do have overhead cabinets, but maybe not all the way around. I don't think the amount of storage would be that different, but maybe it's just in a different place. I agree with other's suggestion to sit inside each type to get a feel for it.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Like the dry bath in the camplite, as well as the slide option. The sizing would be a sweet spot for those lamenting the loss of the escape 15/13 too.

Escape is local and has some amazing options available.

If you can make it to the Osoyoos rally, so much the better from a shopping perspective.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Like the dry bath in the camplite, as well as the slide option.
Slide? If you mean the optional street-side bed, that's a "tip out" (or fold-out): the upper part of the wall folds down to become a bed platform, covered by a tent section like one end of a tent trailer (or "pop-up"). This make it "hybrid" in common travel trailer terminology.

True, none of the moulded fiberglass travel trailer manufacturers have any kind of extension (slide or fold-out), in part because the shell is the structure so large openings are structural problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
The sizing would be a sweet spot for those lamenting the loss of the escape 15/13 too.
A smaller model might be, but the 16DB is the same size as an Escape 19-foot. Like most RV manufacturers, Camplite designates their trailers by body length, rather than by overall length.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary View Post
I like the floorplan on the camplite, but I don't see any upper cabinets?
The cabinets are better shown in the gallery. Similarly, the Escape interior is better seen with the pictures on the ETI website than in just the floorplan.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Yeah the gallery is where it looked like there was maybe 1/10th of the overhead cupboard space in the camplite vs the escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The cabinets are better shown in the gallery. Similarly, the Escape interior is better seen with the pictures on the ETI website than in just the floorplan.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Would not want to use canvas in bear country. Also don't want to deal with wet canvas.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
I shopped the Camplite 16BHB. I like the interior layout, and the materials were appealing. Not a real home feeling, but nice. If you can find a used one priced right, might be worth the investment. After seeing an Escape 19, it is hard for me to look at anything besides the Airstreams that I can't afford.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Like many others, we looked at Camplite all aluminum trailers. What sealed the deal, since we intend to camp in shoulder seasons (down to 20F), was the availability of winter options from ETI, such as spray foam underbody, extra insulation in walls, thermal windows, etc. A close second was the absence of visible interior aluminum which my wife thought was tacky. Another Escape bonus was the inherent sound deadening properties of fiberglass vs. aluminum. And finally, as many others have mentioned, the willingness of Escape to modify the trailer options to suit our "tastes" (or quirks, to some). Since I am the chief dishwasher in the family, I really, really, wanted an oversize sink. And I got it!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 17b
Also, be sure to remember the loonie is at about 80% of the US dollar right now, so you'll get a good discount on the advertised Escape price.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
I have narrowed my list down to two possible trailers, the Escape 19 and the Camplite 16DB...... A little bit about myself: 56yr old retired widowed male(so would be travelling alone), about 6'3" tall(lots of low trailer roofs out there- darn it!). I plane to spend 4 months wintering in southern parts of US and would split campgrounds and boondocking. My tow vehicle is a Toyota Tacoma 4X4 DBL Cab 6cyl with the 6' bed. Last trailer I owned was 15yrs ago. Advice would be welcome! Thanks, Mark...
As others have said, the Camplite seems to have less overhead (handy) storage. It's hard to believe, but I think it also has less kitchen counter space than the Escape 19. The larger tanks on the Camplite would be nice. For long term camping and boondocking I'd recommend a solar panel. Escape has this option where I don't see it for the Camplite. Overall the Camplite has a good number of options, but not nearly what Escape offers.

If I were travelling alone I'd get an Escape 17. For you the head room may be a concern though. You'll have to get a tour to see. I second the suggestion of going to the Osoyoos rally, chance to see lots of Escapes and options.

Best of luck with your decision.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #20

Trailer: Trying to decide on a trailer!
Thanks to all for all the replies and advice! Only concerns I have with the Escape 19- not a dry bathroom and ceiling height in there is only 6 feet / awning seems very dated and not in line with such a nice trailer. Price wise the Escape would be close or slightly more.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote