Cassette Toilet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Cassette Toilet

Has anyone replaced their black tank and toilet with a cassette toilet?
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why would one?
Black tank holds some 20 gallons at 8.5 lbs. per gallon and lasts several days before it needs to be emptied.

To empty, you drive the trailer to the sanidump or you connect a hose to an on-site septic drain and open the valve.
You don't have to look at anything nasty. You don't have to touch anything, wearing nitrile gloves.
To empty a cassette toilet, you get to lug five gallons ( 40+ lbs ) to a toilet and watch the contents slop over the fixture and possible the floor, all the while having your nostrils assaulted by the odor.

Many places will not allow you to dump in their facility ( and that includes outhouses at BC Forestry sites, for instance ).
Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape
If you search cassette toilet you can find previous discussion about this topic. It can be a convenient option in some circumstances.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why would one?
Black tank holds some 20 gallons at 8.5 lbs. per gallon.
Not on any trailer made by ETI.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

Correction, I see that larger trailers have black tanks over 20 gals. others much less.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The 17 is as follows. So, I am out by one gallon, not much less.
Complete Bathroom (Plan B)

Interior Shower Pkg.
(6 Gal DSI H/W tank, 26 gal grey tank, 19 gal black tank,
Old 09-06-2018, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Personally I like the black tank set up in the 5.0 TA almost 30 gals of capacity can last us a good week or so but if there is no dump station or it is getting full and I do not want to move the trailer I have a screw top 5 gal bucket. Fill the bucket from the black or gray valve with an elbow attached to direct the flow then drive or carry it to a toilet, dump station, etc. If I get home with waste in either tank it goes in the bucket and gets dumped in the inlet side of the septic tank. Yes there is stink but I work in the wastewater field so no biggie for me, and yes everyone's does stink the same! Much easier than converting a good system to a cassette. You could also go with one of those blue tanks that Camping World sells if you have the room.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:57 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
What we do if we approach black tank capacity is turn the toilet into a port-a-potty by attaching some port-a-potty bags in the bowl along with the stuff that turns liquid into solid. After use we toss the closed bag into a covered 5 gal. bucket we store in the truck and will dump into a trash can when the opportunity arises. Works well.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:02 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape Wannabee
In my opinion, the Cassette Toilet is the best thing since sliced bread for the RV'er. We've owned two RV's now that has had Cassette Toilets. I hate being a slave to dump stations. With the kind of traveling we do, we're never in one place more than 2 or 3 days. So it's never a problem of maxing out the Cassette Tank and if you need to, you can always pull it out and take it to the dump station or pit toilet. Flush toilets are no problem if your careful, especially when you get home to just empty it for the next trip out. This may sound gross to some but I once heard of a guy who walked into a McDonald's with a Cassette Tank under his arm, dumped it in the flush toilet, walked out with none the wiser! I don't see any difference if you were to camp next to a public toilet because you don't have one in your camper or your tent camping than occasionally dumping your Cassette Tank in a public campground flush toilet. Just my opinion and I'm sure some will disagree with me.
HomeCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
How exactly are you a "slave" to a dump station? You pull up, remove and connect the hose, dump, rinse and go. Even the most isolated or primitive camping areas like BLM or National Forests almost always have a dump station at a convenient spot as you exit the area. And of course in campgrounds or RV parks with hookups, every site has one. I've never really understood why people think dumping tanks is such a hassle.

We use whatever makes the most sense for the camping situation we are in. So, if the campground has flush toilets close by, we use those. If we are doing primitive camping and they have outhouses or pit toilets, we often use those. If neither applies, use the holding tank.

If you want to haul waste by hand, feel free, but it's not for us. And although you might be the most conscientious cassette owner around, I can assure you that there are others who are not. I've been in a few too many public toilets where the cassette dumper made an absolute mess. It's part of the reason the practice is banned in many places.

And regarding the McDonald's story, just because someone can sneak into the McDonald's restroom to dump a cassette doesn't mean they should. The fellow had to know that McDonald's would either frown upon it or not allow it if they knew about it. Why the trickery?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I agree with Robert, dumping and dump station availability have never been any issue.
I certainly can see the issues on why some would prefer a cassette system, but the added expense to rejigger for me I don’t see the benefit. Now if it was offered as an option I might look at it harder.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
Here's one on a composting toilet, which is sort of a cassette.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...ion-12866.html

Here's one where the OP says he had someone to do it but never came back to tell us if it was indeed done.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...del-11834.html
Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I like the cassette toilet. We had one in a camper that we used all over New Zealand. I think where it's used is a factor. In New Zealand, probably one of the most RV friendly countries in the world, cassette dumps are readily accessible and accepted. Since there are so many it is easier than having to go specifically to a place with the whole dump set-up.

For North America use I'd probably stay with our holding tank set-up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting how different parts of the world means different ways of handling waste products, cassettes are popular not only in down under but also over in european countries, makes one wonder why we are always different on this side of the ocean, in waste and measurements?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 19'
Can you tell us how you avoid splashing as the waste water hits the bottom of the bucket? My husband, who does the waste disposal, says the fluids come out in a great rush.

We'd like to try this inexpensive solution for those times when we're camping for a week or two, at one site, without hookups. We've looked at Barker sewage totes online and are experiencing sticker shock. The Thetford tote is less costly but has poor reviews.
egraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by egraham View Post
Can you tell us how you avoid splashing as the waste water hits the bottom of the bucket? My husband, who does the waste disposal, says the fluids come out in a great rush.

We'd like to try this inexpensive solution for those times when we're camping for a week or two, at one site, without hookups. We've looked at Barker sewage totes online and are experiencing sticker shock. The Thetford tote is less costly but has poor reviews.
I use an elbow on the outlet pipe which lowers the elevation of the outlet into the bucket and open the valve just a little and veeeeeeeerrrrryyyyy sloooooowly! Then you screw the lid on and put it in the back of the truck and go to a bathroom or dumpstation. At home I dump it right into the inlet end of the septic tank. Practice at home in old clothes first! ALWAYS wear disposable gloves too.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
As a Porta-potti user I'd like to see a hybrid Porta-potti/Cassette. The idea would be a small portable toilet that you could put in place and not have to move to remove the waste tank. The porta potties all require you disconnect the top from the bottom tank- seems like the Cassette idea would make that a little handier.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
As a brand new 19 owner, who hasn't yet used the bathroom or gone through the dumping process, I have what may be a stupid question... based on some of the comments I've seen on this thread, it sounds like it only takes about a week of use by 2 people to fill the black tank, is that right?? Has anyone tried not flushing TP to see if capacity would last longer?? I ask because as a long-time river runner, I've do have a lot of experience with portable toilets. I've seen a 5-gallon EcoSafe accomodate 8 people for a week. That is with minimal input of #1, however. Comments?
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the capacity is liquid and fixed by the tank manufacturer. We only use the toilet for liquid waste and we can go about a week. You fresh water supply will be your limiting factor...with or without toilet paper, which is special, not household toilet tissue.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too get a good week out of the black tank capacities, dependant upon facilities at hand

- if there are campground toilets (pit or flush) we mostly use them and only use the trailer toilet for middle of the night, or maybe early morning #1 trips.

- if there is no toilet of any kind where we are camping we do what we can to limit the toilet use, and for me that is random peeing where I can. During the night one can turn off the pump and just flush the urine, then you can rinse in the morning.

Our limiting factor tank wise is always the grey. Fortunately you can disperse some via bucket in most places, but we only do it where allowed. The water tank is never an issue, because if there is not fresh water locally available I bring along a couple 5 gal containers to refill with.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote