Charge controller on roof?? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
You will also need some kind of access hatch for the portable panel wires. I am having ETI install a standard electrical hatch and run wires from the controller above the fridge down to where the hatch will be. The cost is $100. I think for that price I would rather have them do it than me have to wrestle with the fridge.
I'm very interested in having ETI run the wires and install the external electrical hatch. We will be living full time in the trailer and pulling the refrigerator will not be a fun job. What type of external access hatch is ETI installing?

The alternative I see is putting an access hatch (small wooden door) high in the wall between the dinette and the refrigerator. Has anyone done that?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I'm very interested in having ETI run the wires and install the external electrical hatch. We will be living full time in the trailer and pulling the refrigerator will not be a fun job. What type of external access hatch is ETI installing?

The alternative I see is putting an access hatch (small wooden door) high in the wall between the dinette and the refrigerator. Has anyone done that?
The hatch they will be installing on our trailer is the same one they use for the non-removable power cord.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
The hatch they will be installing on our trailer is the same one they use for the non-removable power cord.
Does that have a door on it to seal shut when the cord isn't running through it?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Does that have a door on it to seal shut when the cord isn't running through it?
Yes it does have a door. It's apparently a bit cheesy and other people (Jim Bennett) have found other higher quality access hatches but I can't help with that.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes it does have a door. It's apparently a bit cheesy and other people (Jim Bennett) have found other higher quality access hatches but I can't help with that.
Yes, I do plan to use a hatch either with a built in box like these options, or one could build a waterproof box behind and access hatch. Regardless, I would still use waterproof connections on the bulkhead of the box if at all possible.

This one from Nuova Rade I kinda like best, but it is tough to find in North America.

(click on image for link)

This one more readily available from JR Products, and is available in a keyed of thumb lock version. I really see no need for the key for this application. Amazon and a few RV parts stores carry them.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
To simplify things, have the controller mounted under the dinette bench and you can install one of these ports in the outside rear baggage door, one less hole in your new unit to worry about.