Chocking and stabilizing - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Given that our trailers are already equipped with stabilizer jacks which already perform that function, I find them superfluous.
The stabilizers prevent mainly up and down motion. The X-chocks prevent front or back motion. They work as chocks even though not technically a chock, since they immobilize the wheels. Not superfluous at all, since they serve a different purpose than the stabilizers.
Quote:
Also the x-chocks are big and bulky.
Not really. They easily fit in one side of the front storage box on my 19, along with some other tools and even the 10 x 10 patio matt.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:13 PM   #42

Trailer: 21' 2018
Quote:
X chocks are an item that some swear by and others have no interest in. Despite their name, they are not chocks, and the manufacturer even says so in their literature, so they really only, or should only, perform one function, and a non-critical one at that (reduce trailer motion when you walk in it). Given that our trailers are already equipped with stabilizer jacks which already perform that function, I find them superfluous. And my stabilizer jacks make my trailer very stable. Also the x-chocks are big and bulky. Yet many people do love them. They can always be added later if you don’t get them up front.
That's valid. Xchocks make a great Christmas gift from the in-laws

So if you don't X-chock, do you use 2 wheel chocks or 4 for a double axle? Not sure if you can fit one in between each wheel.

How bad is the bounce without them? Is it disturbing or just "there." No-one weighs over 200 lbs, but I'm sure it has to do with how you walk, too.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:17 PM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
How bad is the bounce without them? Is it disturbing or just "there." No-one weighs over 200 lbs, but I'm sure it has to do with how you walk, too.
Again, X-chocks don't really prevent "bounce". I tell you this after having used them for almost 3 years. The up and down motion of the trailer (rocking, bounce or whatever you want to call it) is pretty much eliminated with the stock stabilizers. X-chocks immobilize the wheels, preventing any forward or backward motion. If the trailer wants to slide forward or backward, it's possible even with the stabilizers down. With chocks, or X-chocks, that doesn't happen.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I think that the movement inside the trailer is partly due to how well you set the stabilizers. I will pay closer attention to that. Also, it seems that the stabilizers can be well set at first and then over days may loosen a bit and then it seems that the Xs are needed, however, perhaps resetting the stabilizers would take care of that. I have never looked at that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Again, X-chocks don't really prevent "bounce". I tell you this after having used them for almost 3 years. The up and down motion of the trailer is pretty much eliminated with the stock stabilizers. X-chocks immobilize the wheels, preventing any forward or backward motion.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood trailer motion. How bad is this forward/backward motion? Are you perfecting things by eliminating it or getting rid of a noticeable annoyance?

Edit: "sliding" doesn't sound good
Old 01-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misunderstood trailer motion. How bad is this forward/backward motion? Are you perfecting things by eliminating it or getting rid of a noticeable annoyance?
You always want to prevent forward or backward motion. That's why you immobilize the wheels. You can do so with conventional chocks, or with something like the X-chocks. Having used X-chocks exclusively, I can't speak to whether or not they prevent any more noticeable movement than regular chocks do. I can only say they work for the intended purpose.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #47

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Real chocks prevent forward and back movement. Perhaps that’s why I’ve always found x-chocks to be superfluous. If you need them then you didn’t use your normal chocks correctly. Which you should always use, because again, even the manufacturer states that x-chocks are not chocks. There have been stories posted hereabouts of peoples trailers rolling gently away after x-chocking, but not chocking.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #48

Chocking and stabilizing

Quote:

So if you don't X-chock, do you use 2 wheel chocks or 4 for a double axle? Not sure if you can fit one in between each wheel.

Always use four chocks, whether single or double axle. Two go on each side, one to prevent forward roll and one to prevent rearward roll. On a double axle it doesn’t matter if you put (one one side) two chocks on one wheel

xOx O

Or one on outside front and outside rear

xO Ox

Or both in the middle

OxxO

As long as each side blocks either direction, you’re good to go.

Edit: Unintended funny that I used x’s for chocks, given my take on x-chocks, right?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Real chocks prevent forward and back movement. Perhaps that’s why I’ve always found x-chocks to be superfluous. If you need them then you didn’t use your normal chocks correctly. Which you should always use, because again, even the manufacturer states that x-chocks are not chocks. There have been stories posted hereabouts of peoples trailers rolling gently away after x-chocking, but not chocking.
I had a bit of motion using X-chocks too, until I figured out they had to be tighter. Honestly, they work very well when used properly. I wouldn't necessarily use them as my only means of immobilizing the trailer on a severe slope, but then again, my Andersen levelers act as chocks too.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 PM   #50

I concur on the Anderson levelers. Fine bit of thinking in devising those.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:22 AM   #51

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Unintended funny that I used x’s for chocks, given my take on x-chocks, right?
How about this...
  • Two chocks on one wheel:
    >O< O
  • Or one on outside front and outside rear:
    >O O<
  • Or both in the middle:
    O<>O

Quote:
Not sure if you can fit one in between each wheel.
That would be for the last of the combinations above. You can do this, especially using something like this idea from earlier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
MMarvin turned me on to these and they are the best chocks I have found. Easy to install / remove and very stable. to install, you just place them between the tandems and step on it. To remove, pull the release cord.
Fastway Onestep
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-84-00.../dp/B00718VZ8A
There are many variants of roughly the same idea.

Although I haven't used this setup, I like the idea because if a chock fails to hold it may have slipped out and lost traction because the tire isn't bearing down on it; this design uses each tire to keep the chock from sliding out from under the other tire.

The same idea works around the outside of the tires, too, for the ">O O<" combination; however, this design is bulkier, more awkward, and thus rare - I've seen them but couldn't find one in a quick search.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And then, there are rocks.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:27 AM   #53

I really like the look of those Fasteps. Too bad Santa’s not coming back soon. Maybe I can sell it to the CFO as a Safety Enhancing Device.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post

Sometimes there are rocks. Sometimes there’s nothing but sand. Or tundra. Or peatbog.

I bring my own rocks.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:40 AM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
or scraps of 2x4
or bits of firewood
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:42 AM   #56

Quote:
Always use four chocks, whether single or double axle. Two go on each side, one to prevent forward roll and one to prevent rearward roll. On a double axle it doesn’t matter if you put (one one side) two chocks on one wheel

xOx O

Or one on outside front and outside rear

xO Ox

Or both in the middle

OxxO

As long as each side blocks either direction, you’re good to go.

Edit: Unintended funny that I used x’s for chocks, given my take on x-chocks, right?
Cute, I like your diagrams.

A pleasantly terrifying image of trailers gently rolling away.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That would be for the last of the combinations above. You can do this, especially using something like this idea from earlier:There are many variants of roughly the same idea.

Although I haven't used this setup, I like the idea because if a chock fails to hold it may have slipped out and lost traction because the tire isn't bearing down on it; this design uses each tire to keep the chock from sliding out from under the other tire.

The same idea works around the outside of the tires, too, for the ">O O<" combination; however, this design is bulkier, more awkward, and thus rare - I've seen them but couldn't find one in a quick search.
I missed these earlier. I like the idea, and the company is very proud of them!

Is this sort of a chock/X-chock hybrid maybe? Is this a good enough item to go ahead and commit to?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:55 AM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
.... I'm using Andersen levelers in order to level the trailer side to side...
yeah, about those andersens. been using them with our Casita (single axle). so i got a double set in a bag for the Escape, and they seem too long to fit between the wheels, so you can only chock up one wheel??
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
yeah, about those andersens. been using them with our Casita (single axle). so i got a double set in a bag for the Escape, and they seem too long to fit between the wheels, so you can only chock up one wheel??

You have to cut one (or both) shorter. Several threads address this elsewhere, and instructions are on Anderson’s website as well.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #60

We plan to get the Anderson's also. Do they reduce or eliminate any of the other options? Hard to use those Fastway chocks, or any chocks with those Anderson's, right?