Condensation on new 2nd gen? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Walmart is probably wondering why there is a run on pool noodles in April.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
2017 19' Condensation

We picked up our new 19' March 17 and drove back to Asheville in 6 days. We have the new thermal windows, extra insulation, and under insulation. We would get condensation on the front window and the door frame overnight. We just wiped it off in the morning. We would put a small towel on the table under the front window but it really wasn't much to worry about. We tried to keep the MaxxFax open and on low when possible, but not at night since it was rather cool. We didn't notice any around the bed area.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
So actual owners are reporting low/limited condensation in winter use. That's awesome. My classic windows with their large AL sills tend to drip if I don't do proper condensation protocols. Plus the large cool headboard wall on the 21 tends to moisten too.

Thanks!!
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Cold air outside, breathing warm bodies and heat inside. Condensation gonna happen.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #25

Trailer: 21’ 2020
We've camped in cool (35), warm (96), and rainy conditions in our 19' second gen Escape without condensation issues.
-Perhaps noticed some minimal window and back wall condensation twice during the extremes.
However, we do crack the kitchen or bathroom window, along with opening the ceiling vent on a consistent basis.

The under-mattress Hypervent material seems to help as well. We purchased the material on the way home from picking up our new Escape from the factory.

So glad we did, as shipping costs were quite high. Slumber Ease Mattress Factory (Marysville, WA) was responsive and great to work with...sized the material while we waited. Well worth the investment! I think it provides great air circulation in tandem with the air space around the mattress sides. As a previous post noted, the mattress is slightly smaller than the space, allowing for air to circulate between the mattress and walls as well.

We have the frameless thermal Windows, the extra insulation package, and foam insulation underneath. All of this has mitigated internal temperature extremes, significantly improving comfort while also providing savings (and no noise) not having to use the A/C or heat systems.

I noticed this difference in comparing both our A/C and heating usage to that of our fellow RV campers who had a variety of other RV's, including a Scamp, Casita, and Airstream.

*We only needed to heat or cool our Escape a fraction of the time that they did. For this and other reasons, I must say here, that my Escape was the stated envy of most other FL Snowbirds.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #26

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Can someone give me the measurements of the bed in a 21'? I thought it was a normal full size
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurah View Post
Can someone give me the measurements of the bed in a 21'? I thought it was a normal full size
From the ETI webpage: Permanent Double Bed 54" X 80"
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM   #28

Just out of curiosity, cuz we haven't locked in our options yet. Is there any sense in getting extra insulation and thermal windows without the underneath insulation? The first is a definite but on the fence regarding the underneath insul.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Laurah, the mattress on the 2016-21 is 54"X80". I believe the 2017's are the same. Both have that little angle on the corner.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The Escape 21' specifications web page says
Quote:
Rear bed / dinette 48" X 86"
Permanent Double Bed 54" X 80"
Neither of those is normal Full Size (which is 54" x 75"), and the permanent bed in front is not simply rectangular - it has a rear corner clipped off to make it easier to walk by.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 21' Escape 2017
Thanks That is a bit longer than a full
laurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes99 View Post
Just out of curiosity, cuz we haven't locked in our options yet. Is there any sense in getting extra insulation and thermal windows without the underneath insulation? The first is a definite but on the fence regarding the underneath insul.
I'll add my 2c. (we have a fairly loaded 21' 2017)

I like the thermal windows as it makes it quiet, and in the daytime you can't see in from the outside.

I like the awning window style a lot, to be able to leave a window or two or three open all night, and not worry about rain coming in.

Was just camping in the desert, and plenty of air flow thru. (warning - this is a hotly debated subject)

We also have the extra insulation. helps keep heat out and cold out.

We got the underbelly foam (warning - this is a hotly debated subject)

I believe it would be a bit tough to add it later... to get the underside clean enough to then get it to stick. Could be wrong here.

I like it as it keeps heat out, and well as cold out. It also makes the floor not be cold, with bare feet, when in sub zero temps. Already enjoyed this.

It also will make the inside a bit quieter as well. Physics.

Adds about 40 lbs, AFAIK. That did seem to be the final answer, after a discussion late last year.

It also adds a bit of protection from road gators, etc.

Some very wise folks (Greg A for one) dont like the underbelly foam as it would complicate any possible future repairs, if need be, to systems on the bottom.

I had ETI photograph the belly before the foam (standard operating proceedure they told me) just in case.

I'll take quieter and warmer (and cooler) now and roll the dice, 'cause I'm crazy like that.

cheers,

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #33

Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards skipping the bottom insulation right now. With the must-haves it's getting pricey. Was hoping someone would tell me, "awe you don't need it, the wall insulation is enough."
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards skipping the bottom insulation right now. With the must-haves it's getting pricey. Was hoping someone would tell me, "awe you don't need it, the wall insulation is enough."
If a house is going to be insulated, they insulate the roof, walls and floor. Why skip 1/3 of your trailer??
Old 04-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Aww, you don't need it...
Lot's of folks, myself included, got thermal package without floor insulation. It's been fine and I've been in some cold weather camping. Always can add the rigid panels later like Ron did if you feel like you need it.
If you're camping in cold enough weather to make the floor cool you should be wearing socks at night anyway.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We had some condensation on the side of the mattress adjacent to the shell, whenever it was cold enough to use the heater. But, since the mattress was sized to fit the area loosely, it was pretty easy to reduce or eliminate any condensation. Now, we've since upgraded to a memory foam mattress, which is regular queen. It fits more snugly in the space. We had a few nights up in Illinois a few weeks ago, where it was cold at night, and we once again had the condensation on the mattress sides. It was harder to deal with this time however, since the mattress is more snug. I'll be cutting and inserting some mesh material along the outer walls to deal with it in the future. The 'Hypervent' or 'Drymesh' is ridiculously expensive, since it's really nothing but stucco rainscreen. The same rainscreen mesh (with or without the fabric backing) is sold in 100 foot rolls at contractor supply stores for anywhere from $75 to $150. I'll go with that, if I can find a seller who will give me a smaller quantity.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:39 PM   #37

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoplin View Post
OK, I'll bite--- what is a "pool noodle?"
Thanks for the info. And, thanks for the picture. Looks like fancy pipe insulation to me. Much prettier than the basic grey stuff.
JimJoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
We have the insulation on the bottom . I think it also protects against chips etc. either do the solid foam or have Escape put the foam . Just our take on it . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #39

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ok I see your from Texas . You don't have pool noddles there ? Someone have a picture for Jim ? Jim we usually use to float in pools but they have lot's of uses too. It is foam , they come in colors . If someone doesn't put up a picture for you , I'II take one tomorrow for you . Pat
I'm definitely from Texas but I don't have--and wouldn't have--a pool. Thirty years in the Navy provided me with all the views of blue water I'll ever want. One of my sons has a pool (in Houston). I think he wishes he could sell it and buy a bigger sailboat.
JimJoplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJoplin View Post
Thanks for the info. And, thanks for the picture. Looks like fancy pipe insulation to me. Much prettier than the basic grey stuff.
It is a different foam from pipe insulation . Made for pools . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote