Consolidating controls in one location - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Some cabinet modifications shouldn't be done because the vertical walls are part of the trailer shell reinforcements. Maybe contacting Reace to determine what can be done would be a good idea.
Maybe another stripper pole where the vertical wall is would also work. I got ETI to swap the location of the stove top and sink and eliminated the kitchen exhaust fan on my 5.0 TA. That switch also required a much smaller kitchen window which I really like. Still, if you have a higher kitchen cabinet in the back you might be able to get all or most of the controls in it. Still, the batteries will go under that cabinet so you need to have access under there get to them.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
Fortunately I use XM satellite for my radio so intererence for FM radio doesn't affect me. But, my microwave does blank out my XM signal with my current arrangement. And I would like to keep this microwave (it's not a cheap one) but it is an inch too wide for the designated cabinet.
I also have & sometimes use an XM receiver, but prefer to have access to local NPR stations. Unfortunately, they are often few & far between, and weaker than the local rock & roll stations.

As to the microwave, I replaced mine with one that was around an inch wider than the cabinet opening - a bit of work & it fit. Check my Escape 21 Trailer Modifications page. There is a link there to the many more (I owned it longer) modifications of my previous Escape, a 17B.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Some cabinet modifications shouldn't be done because the vertical walls are part of the trailer shell reinforcements...
That is likely the reason for the stripper pole and the dividing wall between the kitchen counter & the dinette (also works for some stove splatter control). My expectation for extending the kitchen counter over the doorside dinette area would be a counter/cabinet in place of the seat with the support wall still in place. With my Breville oven "against" that support wall the wall would hardly be noticed. Tho the Breville blocking that window wouldn't be nice, esp if it happens to be an emergency exit, in which case I expect a cabinet might not be allowed.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wait, I was under the impression you did not want to use your furnace to conserve your battery supply, i.e. the reason for the Wave set up. But yet, you use a microwave which certainly will eat more battery power than the furnace? I'd ditch the microwave and keep the furnace, just my .02$ worth....
Combining different subjects/threads here but that is all right. It's all about my ideas/questions anyway. Might screw with someone's head later, tho.

To recap the other thread ... Using the Wave heater (my other thread going today) for less battery draw and less propane usage is for when I don't have commercial power. With commercial power I use a small electric heater - looks like a fireplace.

I am currently unable to use my microwave on my 2000 watt inverter as it draws enough power (~13+ amps ac) that the battery voltage the inverter sees from my dual 6-volt batteries drops too low & it shuts down. (Bigger cable to reduce voltage drop might help.)

Tho the microwave that ETI supplies can be used sparingly off battery I have no expectation to do so even if I get it instead of figuring out how to keep my existing one. That is what my Honda 2000 is for. Actually, I rarely use the micro. My cooking is via the Breville oven, induction burner, small electric frypan and 3 qt Instant Pot (tho the oven & IP usually make enough for a meal or two to be reheated). Those all require the generator.

Yes, compared to real boondockers I'm a 120 volt power hog, esp in the kitchen. The only time I've lit a stove burner in probably the past 2 years was to purge the propane line.

I'm also a comparative hog for battery use, too. 15 ah of draw is not unusual between generator off (around 8 or 9 pm) and start of solar charging the next day - without furnace use. What can I say? I like my satellite tv and the receiver requires 120, as does the cell phone booster if I want to maintain the warranty - and I sometimes forget to turn the inverter off. Not the big one - I have a 300 watt FSW inverter for sat & cell amplifier.

And, yes, 100 watts of solar on my roof (tilted & aimed) recharges me by shortly after noon in the desert at Q in late January but not all my camper use is in those conditions. And, since my usual outing is at least 2 weeks, the sun can't be guaranteed so I want battery charge longevity.

It may not make sense to conserve on battery use for heat while I throw it away elsewhere, but I need to save where I can so I have it to throw away.

And I haven't even mentioned the ac/dc compressor type ice chest size fridge/freezer that my 200 watts of portable solar doesn't quite fully support the battery it connects to. That is why the genny runs a couple hours after dinner - to top off that separate battery.

Stay with me a moment longer. I'm planning ahead here. Running the genny to top off the freezer battery also charges the camper batteries so why worry about conserving battery with the Wave heater? The Escape fridge is twice the size of the one in the Aframe. With the Escape I'll be less likely to take the ice chest fridge/freezer, thus less generator use.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
Quote:
That is likely the reason for the stripper pole and the dividing wall between the kitchen counter & the dinette (also works for some stove splatter control). Tho the Breville blocking that window wouldn't be nice, esp if it happens to be an emergency exit, in which case I expect a cabinet might not be allowed.
The Emergency Exit window on the 5.0TA is on the drivers side, NOT the passenger side. I seldom open that exit window because it is directly above the propane water heater and with the awning window open it allows CO into the trailer. Still, I shut off the water heater soon after I have a full tank of hot water.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

As to the microwave, I replaced mine with one that was around an inch wider than the cabinet opening - a bit of work & it fit.
The microwave you installed is exactly the one I have. Could you describe what you did to fit it into a too small of space?
Old 08-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
The microwave you installed is exactly the one I have. Could you describe what you did to fit it into a too small of space?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post251916
Old 08-01-2018, 09:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Friends of our just bought a rather expensive 34 ft 5th wheel trailer.
All the trailer gauges , monitors , heating & lighting controls are on one touch screen panel in the wall heading up to the bedroom . It may be nice for some but for me it seemed overly complicated and unnecessary . Some people are impressed by flashing lights but I for one am not , probably why I don’t play computer games .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #29

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have found that the more monitors I have, the more I worry, when I'm supposed to be relaxing. Ignorance is bliss, especially when there is nothing you can do about it - like a full black tank at 2AM in the bush.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #30
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
If I wanted a full instrument panel layout I would have bought an airplane.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I like the idea of having all the controls in one location that isn’t at ground level. Unfortunately, that’s the best location for the solar controller in a 19 to get it as close to the batteries as possible, so while most all of our controls are grouped together, they are on the floor.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E3183.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	33129
Old 08-02-2018, 12:33 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I like the idea of having all the controls in one location that isn’t at ground level. Unfortunately, that’s the best location for the solar controller in a 19 to get it as close to the batteries as possible, so while most all of our controls are grouped together, they are on the floor.Attachment 33129
Me too ! Very nice and we wish monitors weren't down near the floor ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tom, thanks for being honest about the power hog comment. I think that maybe a revelation. One of the first things I did years ago, when exposed to 12v was read everything I could on living off 12v and propane, off the grid so to speak. From cabins in the mountains to living on an island, being able to use your power source is challenging. Other than air conditioning, I try to make my Escape all 12v. I copy what the truck drivers do in their mini motel room behind their cab. I plan use of 12v appliances via 12v outlets and always use 12v televisions as well as coffee maker. I have 3-4 coffee makers, depending on power choice or propane use or campfire use.
It makes things easier when not connected and my limiting factor is water. Perhaps embracing propane and 12v combo's as in heat and refrigeration would simply your set up and camping style, it has mine.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Other than the EMS display, I have put the rest above the fridge. Solar, tank monitor (upgraded to turn water heater electric on), inverter, and also have a cable run should I add a battery monitor. Lots of room up there for more if I ever needed
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I followed Tom's (tdf-texas) suggestions in the link below mine. I mounted it a bit differently - used the angle tabs that Escape supplied with the original microwave.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Perhaps embracing propane and 12v combo's as in heat and refrigeration would simply your set up and camping style
I understand the draw to the 12 volt & propane life but there are some things that I won't compromise with, specifically in the kitchen, thus my power hog status.

I've been the family cook my whole adult life except for a few years with my first wife, including the last 35 years. I have no problem with a propane cooktop tho I prefer the induction burner. I have had 3 burner cooktops in all my RVs since at least 2005 and maybe earlier. With a microwave I rarely use more than one; I don't think I've ever used all 3. My early experiences with an RV oven definately turned me off to them. I got better, more consistant results with a dutch oven or even the Coleman stovetop oven I used in my canvas pop up years. And the contortions needed to manually light the oven doesn't help. I think I've used the propane oven in my big 5th wheel a total of twice in the 4+ years I've lived full time in it. I'm not exactly a fan of the convection/micro in the 5th wheel, either. The Breville tops it hands down except in size. And a very large portion of my cooking in the Aframe is in the Breville.

In the Aframe I use a single burner induction burner when I need a pot or large frypan. Otherwise the 8" electric skillet is adequate and less stuff to get out & put away. In the 5th wheel I use a 12" electric frypan except when I need a pot.

The Instant Pot electric pressure cooker is my second most-used cooking appliance, after the Breville. Excluding the initial heating time to get to pressure it is fast & thus a power saver in a way. I not only cook dinner items in it but every 5 days I make a batch of yogurt (1/2 gal of milk). When boondocking I don't leave it on during the 10 hours of incubation but wrap it up to maintain the temp instead - I still get good yogurt.

Both the Breville, using 8" pans, & the 3 qt IP often result in 2-3 meals of leftovers since I'm widowed. That is where the microwave comes in. Even tho I use the micro for reheating, it is the one large appliance I can do without. Reheating most things in foil in the Breville or even a foil pack in a frypan in a bit of water works as well - just a bit more work & takes longer. The microwave reduces my propane & total electric use.

As far as refrigeration goes, it seems you can never have enough, thus the Dometic ice chest sized compressor unit. It operates on 12 or 120 volts and operates as a fridge or freezer. On my 2-week outings, if it goes with me, it is supplimenting the 3 cf fridge in the Aframe, allowing me to avoid going shopping except for some fresh veges. On my longer trips, such as the past 2 winters in AZ, which has included 2-3 2-week stints of boondocking I run it as a freezer.

I also take one or two ice chests, one a Yeti. If the electric chest is used as a freezer, the Yeti is used for ifood & the other soda. Otherwise just the Yeti for soda. I anticipate that with the larger fridge in the Escape that the second ice chest won't be used and the use of the electric chest will be reduced to freezer only when it does travel.

Not mentioned until now is my countertop ice maker. It not only supplies the ice chests but my ice water habit. When I have commercial power I never buy ice except in temps above 80°F as the ice in the maker melts almost as fast as it is made since it stays in the bed of the truck beside the electric chest. Reflectix helps the ice chests and I'll be testing it with the ice maker. It does make ice when the genny is running but the 2-3 hours for dinner & to top off the battery for the electric chest isn't enough to fully support my ice usage and if I take the electric chest less the genny will run less. I expect to test the ice maker on inverter with the battery I use for the electric chest to see how well 200 watts of portable solar support that usage.

I am also an electronic gadget freak so that increases my electric use but most of it is not 120. Phone, laptop, 2 tablets, sat tv, cell booster, iPod, xm radio, bluetooth speakers, ham radio, etc. All needing power at some point.

I could eliminate a lot of the high power items and get by just fine. I did it for years, I could do it again. But I have no desire to do so. It works for me.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Other than the EMS display, I have put the rest above the fridge. Solar, tank monitor (upgraded to turn water heater electric on), inverter, and also have a cable run should I add a battery monitor. Lots of room up there for more if I ever needed
That location is definately one I'll consider and perhaps save the doorside cupboard for electronics & storage. If done right there might be space for them on the front & room for storing a small fire safe & (pistol) safe behind.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I followed Tom's (tdf-texas) suggestions in the link below mine. I mounted it a bit differently - used the angle tabs that Escape supplied with the original microwave.
I'm afraid I don't know what links you are referring to. I searched the forums until I found a link to your web page on mods. I'll search for the user-id but where do I search?8
Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #39

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I'm afraid I don't know what links you are referring to. I searched the forums until I found a link to your web page on mods. I'll search for the user-id but where do I search?8
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post251916

Trailer Modifications - Escape 21
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0026.jpg  
Old 08-02-2018, 10:40 AM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I installed my solar controller in the tongue box. It came with a remote display which I ran up to the shelf above the front window. Like that fine. I installed other display controls below the dinette seat as seen here. Having to look down at them is a mild pain but no biggie. The smaller surge protector display became annoying enough to rebuild its bracket plate so it is aimed up more. The WFCO is a total pain to access.
Attached Thumbnails
Dinelec1.jpg