Cooktop choice - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
StillCampin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Oakville, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Posts: 181
Cooktop choice

So far, every custom cooktop I have had an interest in has gotten a no from ETI for one reason or another. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide information (brand/model/link) about your chosen cooktop IF you had ETI install a custom 1 or 2 burner propane cooktop.

For aesthetics, I want black, preferably without a "silver" rim around it (but I may not have a choice). A built-in cover is a plus as well as being as flush to the counter as possible. A piezo, battery or even AC igniter would also be a plus.

If it matters, this is for a 5.0. I have no specific objection to the one ETI installs but would like one more "custom" with additional features.
__________________

__________________
Tom W
( 5.0TA arriving Aug 26 )
StillCampin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steve Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Fremont, California
Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
So far, every custom cooktop I have had an interest in has gotten a no from ETI for one reason or another. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide information (brand/model/link) about your chosen cooktop IF you had ETI install a custom 1 or 2 burner propane cooktop.

For aesthetics, I want black, preferably without a "silver" rim around it (but I may not have a choice). A built-in cover is a plus as well as being as flush to the counter as possible. A piezo, battery or even AC igniter would also be a plus.

If it matters, this is for a 5.0. I have no specific objection to the one ETI installs but would like one more "custom" with additional features.
Tom, It is true that many folks have had custom cooktops installed by ETI, but this customization option has changed in the past year. Due to production efficiency, cooktop choice has become more standardized. You may get an answer here that ETI will agree to, but most likely, an aftermarket replacement will be your best option. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Steve and Debbie
2016 - 21'

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
StillCampin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Oakville, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
... but most likely, an aftermarket replacement will be your best option.
I thought of something like that, specifically in relation to the latest "no" on a nice unit with sealed burners that requires entry & exit air vents at front & rear below the cooktop. It would be "easy" to add front venting but I'm stuck on how to accomplish the rear exit venting.

Maybe if I could find an inexpensive one needing a similar but somewhat smaller cutout to my "ideal" I could then replace it. Or convince ETI to do a partial install or just cut the hole.
__________________
Tom W
( 5.0TA arriving Aug 26 )
StillCampin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,086
Some of us have installed Dickinson cooktops. I thought ETI had agreed to install them at the factory in some models.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/t...op-in-cooktop/

New Stove Install
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
StillCampin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Oakville, Washington
Trailer: 2019 5.0TA
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Some of us have installed Dickinson cooktops...
Ignoring the gasp at the price, the link points to much more burner output than I would ever want. Especially considering that the only time I've lit a burner on my current stove in the past year has been to purge the line to ease manual lighting of the fridge & water heater.

I would consider skipping a gas cooktop completely except there will be some time in the future that I will need it. And, with the right feature(s) I might use it more (one I currently like has a 3-flame circle wok burner but I can't find install details for ETI to review).
__________________
Tom W
( 5.0TA arriving Aug 26 )
StillCampin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,420
The burner output has proven to be very useful to us. It cooks much faster and better. We also like pasta and it boils water way faster than the stock stove ever could. Because of the reduced cooking times, we don't use any more propane than with the stock stove, even with the higher BTU output.

In our case we coupled the Dickinson Marine cooktop with a SAM-1 range hood fan retrofit. So now we can get a restaurant quality sear and at the same time evacuate any smoke and cooking odors quickly and quietly.

I still prefer to do the vast majority of our camp cooking outside, weather permitting, but it's nice to know we can cook well and quickly when cooking outside isn't possible.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
Ignoring the gasp at the price, the link points to much more burner output than I would ever want. Especially considering that the only time I've lit a burner on my current stove in the past year has been to purge the line to ease manual lighting of the fridge & water heater.
I agree it is not cheap, but nothing good is. I do believe this is a case of getting what you pay for. We love the stove. If you don't need the output then turn the burner down, but it is there if you need it. The list price is high, but Boat Owners World has it for $509. Good luck in finding something that suits your needs.

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: tracy, California
Trailer: 2018 5ota
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I agree it is not cheap, but nothing good is. I do believe this is a case of getting what you pay for. We love the stove. If you don't need the output then turn the burner down, but it is there if you need it. The list price is high, but Boat Owners World has it for $509. Good luck in finding something that suits your needs.

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
I had a single induction and single gas cooktop installed. It was called True Induction TI-1G.
Top was shipped to Escape for installation. I have option of gas or electric.1548443846730.jpeg
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
Ignoring the gasp at the price, the link points to much more burner output than I would ever want. Especially considering that the only time I've lit a burner on my current stove in the past year has been to purge the line to ease manual lighting of the fridge & water heater.

I would consider skipping a gas cooktop completely except there will be some time in the future that I will need it. And, with the right feature(s) I might use it more (one I currently like has a 3-flame circle wok burner but I can't find install details for ETI to review).
For the amount you use the stove it sounds like the stock one is perfect for you at this time. Leave the lid down and you hardly know it is there. In a few years there maybe the perfect stove for you.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfaulkner00 View Post
I had a single induction and single gas cooktop installed. It was called True Induction TI-1G.
Top was shipped to Escape for installation. I have option of gas or electric.Attachment 36611
Nice unit. Looks like the best of both worlds. I see they also make a double gas model but it might be too large for the Escape counter to also maintain proper clearances??

Built-in RV stove with 2 Gas Burners and Induction Cooktop
__________________

__________________
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.