Cooktop choice - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Cooktop choice

So far, every custom cooktop I have had an interest in has gotten a no from ETI for one reason or another. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide information (brand/model/link) about your chosen cooktop IF you had ETI install a custom 1 or 2 burner propane cooktop.

For aesthetics, I want black, preferably without a "silver" rim around it (but I may not have a choice). A built-in cover is a plus as well as being as flush to the counter as possible. A piezo, battery or even AC igniter would also be a plus.

If it matters, this is for a 5.0. I have no specific objection to the one ETI installs but would like one more "custom" with additional features.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
So far, every custom cooktop I have had an interest in has gotten a no from ETI for one reason or another. I would greatly appreciate it if you could provide information (brand/model/link) about your chosen cooktop IF you had ETI install a custom 1 or 2 burner propane cooktop.

For aesthetics, I want black, preferably without a "silver" rim around it (but I may not have a choice). A built-in cover is a plus as well as being as flush to the counter as possible. A piezo, battery or even AC igniter would also be a plus.

If it matters, this is for a 5.0. I have no specific objection to the one ETI installs but would like one more "custom" with additional features.
Tom, It is true that many folks have had custom cooktops installed by ETI, but this customization option has changed in the past year. Due to production efficiency, cooktop choice has become more standardized. You may get an answer here that ETI will agree to, but most likely, an aftermarket replacement will be your best option. Good luck!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
... but most likely, an aftermarket replacement will be your best option.
I thought of something like that, specifically in relation to the latest "no" on a nice unit with sealed burners that requires entry & exit air vents at front & rear below the cooktop. It would be "easy" to add front venting but I'm stuck on how to accomplish the rear exit venting.

Maybe if I could find an inexpensive one needing a similar but somewhat smaller cutout to my "ideal" I could then replace it. Or convince ETI to do a partial install or just cut the hole.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Some of us have installed Dickinson cooktops. I thought ETI had agreed to install them at the factory in some models.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/t...op-in-cooktop/

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post178612
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Some of us have installed Dickinson cooktops...
Ignoring the gasp at the price, the link points to much more burner output than I would ever want. Especially considering that the only time I've lit a burner on my current stove in the past year has been to purge the line to ease manual lighting of the fridge & water heater.

I would consider skipping a gas cooktop completely except there will be some time in the future that I will need it. And, with the right feature(s) I might use it more (one I currently like has a 3-flame circle wok burner but I can't find install details for ETI to review).
Old 01-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The burner output has proven to be very useful to us. It cooks much faster and better. We also like pasta and it boils water way faster than the stock stove ever could. Because of the reduced cooking times, we don't use any more propane than with the stock stove, even with the higher BTU output.

In our case we coupled the Dickinson Marine cooktop with a SAM-1 range hood fan retrofit. So now we can get a restaurant quality sear and at the same time evacuate any smoke and cooking odors quickly and quietly.

I still prefer to do the vast majority of our camp cooking outside, weather permitting, but it's nice to know we can cook well and quickly when cooking outside isn't possible.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Ignoring the gasp at the price, the link points to much more burner output than I would ever want. Especially considering that the only time I've lit a burner on my current stove in the past year has been to purge the line to ease manual lighting of the fridge & water heater.
I agree it is not cheap, but nothing good is. I do believe this is a case of getting what you pay for. We love the stove. If you don't need the output then turn the burner down, but it is there if you need it. The list price is high, but Boat Owners World has it for $509. Good luck in finding something that suits your needs.

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
Old 01-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 5ota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I agree it is not cheap, but nothing good is. I do believe this is a case of getting what you pay for. We love the stove. If you don't need the output then turn the burner down, but it is there if you need it. The list price is high, but Boat Owners World has it for $509. Good luck in finding something that suits your needs.

https://www.boatownersworld.com/dick...in-cooker.html
I had a single induction and single gas cooktop installed. It was called True Induction TI-1G.
Top was shipped to Escape for installation. I have option of gas or electric.Click image for larger version

Name:	1548443846730.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	36611
garyfaulkner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

I would consider skipping a gas cooktop completely except there will be some time in the future that I will need it. And, with the right feature(s) I might use it more (one I currently like has a 3-flame circle wok burner but I can't find install details for ETI to review).
For the amount you use the stove it sounds like the stock one is perfect for you at this time. Leave the lid down and you hardly know it is there. In a few years there maybe the perfect stove for you.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfaulkner00 View Post
I had a single induction and single gas cooktop installed. It was called True Induction TI-1G.
Top was shipped to Escape for installation. I have option of gas or electric.Attachment 36611
Nice unit. Looks like the best of both worlds. I see they also make a double gas model but it might be too large for the Escape counter to also maintain proper clearances??

Built-in RV stove with 2 Gas Burners and Induction Cooktop
Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The Dickinson is a beaut! Next time I'm near a boat salvage yard I will make it my business to hunt in busted yachts for a Dickinson, or any similar gas stove unit.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We use our oven for cooking more than the stove top. the stove top mostly boils water for coffee, occasionally heats some soup.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Trailer: future 5.0 owner
It would seem to me the cooktop would be an energy hug! I like gas and fire wood!
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I know this is different from what you're looking for, but I use this when I'm hooked to shore power. It's currently unavailable from Amazon but there are others that are similar. I'm quite happy with mine.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #15

Cooktop has been found

I finally got a cooktop choice approved. In fact, 2 of them.

Since I actually rarely use the gas burner I decided to pass on the K&H 2 burner cooktop with the fancy wok burner, for the combo induction/gas cooktop
(TrueInduction TI-1G) that Gary Faulkner had installed. The countertop induction burner I now use will become surplus.

This cooktop does incur a couple of charges from ETI: $75 for a new 120 outlet and another $50 to have it on its own circuit.

Like my Breville countertop oven, I do not anticipate using the induction burner on the inverter but it will be a possibility.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote