Custom countertops! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Custom countertops!

Pretty exciting stuff going on here! I just ordered some counter top samples. Yeah, we're not > that < close to ordering, but my brain is going a million miles an hour trying to figure out what I want for the interior choices. We hit the hardware store tonight to get some ideas.

I just ordered 6 samples from Wilsonart (8"x10") and 5 from Formica (5"x7") (their limit; I'll order more later). All of the samples are large enough to plunk down in a display model at the factory to see how they look against their cabinetry.

Here's a few links for ya:

Explore Formica® Laminate

Wilsonart: Quartz and Laminate Countertops for Kitchen & Bath | Wilsonart and then click on laminates.

I did find the Aqua Dotscreen that someone said they ordered. I was quite surprised at all the different designs and I only looked at the ones in the blues and black/gray families. Dang!

I'm passing on this one:

Wilsonart Product

Now to work on upholstery and flooring! Dang! Lots of choices out there.

Oh yeah, the samples were free, as well as the shipping (least to USA addresses; not sure about Canada).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Be aware that countertop supplier Escape uses only deals in Formica. You can choose any color in the Formica catalog for a $100 upcharge over the stock color (extra for other than the matte finish) - but - they don't use Wilsonart.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Be aware that countertop supplier Escape uses only deals in Formica. You can choose any color in the Formica catalog for a $100 upcharge over the stock color (extra for other than the matte finish) - but - they don't use Wilsonart.
Oh, I thought you could order from whomever and have it delivered to ETI for installation. Well, pooey. They had some really nice stuff.

It does say "formica" on the options list, but I figured it was like saying "kleenex" instead of nose tissue. They should add the copyright symbol so you know it's the actual Formica product/brand you're needing to supply.

Good to know though.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Well, maybe you could order and have it shipped to them, but that would be quite expensive, and of course, they'd have to agree to it. Take advantage of the fact that they have a local Formica supplier. No shipping, just pick.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #5

Since I'm fairly close to them, I figure I'll be hauling stuff up there, such as the sink, faucet and other stuff. But, yeah, know what you mean.

I just ordered 4 more samples from Formica.

So, we'll see, but I do appreciate you telling me that before I had my heart set on one of the Wilsonart selections.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
They also told me no Wilsonart but you never know.
People have been known to take their own flooring and other items. Our flooring is at a Chilliwack store and Escape will pick it up when they get to installing it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Since I'm fairly close to them, I figure I'll be hauling stuff up there, such as the sink, faucet and other stuff. But, yeah, know what you mean.

I just ordered 4 more samples from Formica.

So, we'll see, but I do appreciate you telling me that before I had my heart set on one of the Wilsonart selections.

Since your close, they might agree to use supplied counter material if you just brought it to them. You'll need one full sheet I believe - about 4' x 8'. You could always ask. But, get the fabric samples together with the counter samples and you might be surprised that there's a Formica color that works best.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #8
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
But, get the fabric samples together with the counter samples and you might be surprised that there's a Formica color that works best.
Once we decided on the trailer, ETI sent us samples of their upholstery, flooring and wood at our request. We learned that once we decided on the upholstery, there were several formica product numbers ending in "58" -- the preferred formica line that ETI works with, and everything else fell into place. Upholstery was the toughest decision for me. My husband was fine with the standard product (And it is great) but I wanted to capitalize on a unique look for our trailer.

I was surprised to see that lead times for the 19 are now April 2016, other trailers are not that far out. The longer you wait, you may miss your desired delivery date.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 2015 19' (hatching Dec 1)
Formica

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
Once we decided on the trailer, ETI sent us samples of their upholstery, flooring and wood at our request. We learned that once we decided on the upholstery, there were several formica product numbers ending in "58" -- the preferred formica line that ETI works with....
Since ETI uses a formica company in their area with the preferred "58" line, is there a website that I can check out to review this line?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyDew View Post
Since ETI uses a formica company in their area with the preferred "58" line, is there a website that I can check out to review this line?
Here: Explore Formica® Laminate
Old 07-07-2015, 08:46 AM   #11

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
58 is just the finish code... it's a matte finish.
sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #12
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Smile

Quote:
Here is the website:
Laminate Countertop Edges - IdealEdge - Formica
click on your desired piece and you can see if it comes in a "58".

We went to a big box hardware store and in their kitchen area and took the samples home.

Have fun! The fabric and counter tops were our most difficult, although fun, choices!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

rbryan4,
Thank you so much! I will check it out now!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
For those wanting a larger sample than what you get at the store, you can order one online at the Formica website. I ordered a 12"x12" piece and received it free by UPS. They didn't even charge for shipping. I was quite impressed!
Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
For those wanting a larger sample than what you get at the store, you can order one online at the Formica website. I ordered a 12"x12" piece and received it free by UPS. They didn't even charge for shipping. I was quite impressed!
You absolutely want to do this rather than rely on those business card sizes. I almost made a horrible mistake when I fell in love with a small sample. Fortunately when I received the bigger size, I realized how bad that Formica would have looked in Ten Forward. WHEW.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
Site Team

The 5 x 7 free samples are also available from the Formica site. Usually adequate to get a feel for the overall color.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
You absolutely want to do this rather than rely on those business card sizes. I almost made a horrible mistake when I fell in love with a small sample. Fortunately when I received the bigger size, I realized how bad that Formica would have looked in Ten Forward. WHEW.
I agree! I saw some small samples that I thought looked cooler than cool, but when ordering the bigger samples - yikes! Changed my mind in a big hurry.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

Great advise you guys! Thank you so much. I will post my choice of fabric and formica, once I make that decision.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I am not sure about this but what I thought was that the 58s are not only matte but cost less than others. So if you do not want to pay more in addition to the extra $100 for custom counters, you need to get a 58.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
That's right- our Walnut Quartzstone 6219-RD was another $100 in addition to the $100 upcharge to go from stock. The notation on the build sheet is (Additional $100 for finish other than 58).
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote