Custom fabric - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2015, 01:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Custom fabric

Can anyone give me any info on what the easiest way to do this is? Did you order fabric from Canada? Ship from US? Do you have pics of you're custom fabric? Hook me up with the details

Thanks
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Can anyone give me any info on what the easiest way to do this is? Did you order fabric from Canada? Ship from US? Do you have pics of you're custom fabric? Hook me up with the details

Thanks
Erik, for us the easiest way to do custom fabric, by far, was to order from Sailrite and have them direct ship to Escape. They offer Sunbrella outdoor fabric in basically every color they make, and their prices are competitive. Shipping direct to Canada was reasonable as well -- far lower than what I would have paid shipping from home.
http://www.sailrite.com/Sunbrella-Br...K7FBoCJNXw_wcB

By the way, they will send you samples of the fabric for a nominal charge. If you want custom Formica to coordinate with the fabric, you can get a large (5" x 8") sample from the Formica site for a small fee as well. Makes it much easier to choose when you can see the colors in person.

Lastly, the build sheet specified that we needed about 17 yards of fabric due to the pattern and the added U-shaped dinette. We didn't need that much. The Upholsterer used about 10 yards - not 17.
Attached Thumbnails
199a4069d2b72c0.jpg  
Old 04-30-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Finding then buying the fabric was the most painful part of the build, for me. I purchased the fabric and it was shipped to me from Hawaii, I took it to ETI when I took the build sheet up three months before completion.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1263.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Finding then buying the fabric was the most painful part of the build, for me. I purchased the fabric and it was shipped to me from Hawaii, I took it to ETI when I took the build sheet up three months before completion.
Does the fabric have to be available to ETI when you submit your build sheet three months prior, or when they actually begin the build?
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I just ordered sunbrella fabric from Outdoor Fabrics Canada Inc. and had it shipped to ETI. I was able to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate as well as save on shipping from US.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRay View Post
I just ordered sunbrella fabric from Outdoor Fabrics Canada Inc. and had it shipped to ETI. I was able to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate as well as save on shipping from US.
How was you experience with Outdoor Fabrics of Canada? I think this was one of the companies I found with mixed reviews, and handling customer service issues in public comments on FaceBook.

To the original poster. I used Sailrite too. About $60 to ship 18 yards, ETI paid a duty tax of about $35, which is added to my invoice.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
Does the fabric have to be available to ETI when you submit your build sheet three months prior, or when they actually begin the build?

Yes, the fabric needs to get there as soon as possible. They have to send it out to the upholsterer and they have a backlog of jobs. That ensures the cushions are done when the build starts.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyone View Post
It's due when you sign off on your build sheet.
Here's Crystal's (ETI) answer: Please have your fabric to us by your confirmation date

dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I ordered custom fabric from Discounted designer fabric.com. I spent hours looking at all the possibilities then narrowed it down to the top 5 choices. They will mail you 5 samples for free. When we picked the fabric we liked the best we ordered and had it shipped directly to ETI. There was an added fee for the ship to Canada but well worth the cost. Our trailer is being built now and we can't wait to see it finished!
jbdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 escape 19
I ordered the fabric Tuesday. Email today states it is on the way to ETI. So I guess the jury is still out.
LDRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, the fabric needs to get there as soon as possible. They have to send it out to the upholsterer and they have a backlog of jobs. That ensures the cushions are done when the build starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Erik, for us the easiest way to do custom fabric, by far, was to order from Sailrite and have them direct ship to Escape. They offer Sunbrella outdoor fabric in basically every color they make, and their prices are competitive. Shipping direct to Canada was reasonable as well -- far lower than what I would have paid shipping from home.
Sunbrella Brand Fabrics - Sailrite.com

By the way, they will send you samples of the fabric for a nominal charge. If you want custom Formica to coordinate with the fabric, you can get a large (5" x 8") sample from the Formica site for a small fee as well. Makes it much easier to choose when you can see the colors in person.

Lastly, the build sheet specified that we needed about 17 yards of fabric due to the pattern and the added U-shaped dinette. We didn't need that much. The Upholsterer used about 10 yards - not 17.
So, I want outdoor fabric?
Old 05-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Well, not necessarily- however fabric used on patio furniture for example holds up better to heavier use than your living room sofa in some situations- mainly sun & moisture. Not everyone opts for "outdoor" fabric though so go with your instincts. BTW, Sailrite sells other lines besides Sunbrella, including Geobella fabric which is made from 100% recycled yarns.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Hi, Eric,
I first wanted regular upholstery fabric. But with the moisture that gets into a trailer, decided on Sunbrella. We had it shipped from Sailrite and it arrived today even though our build is not until July. The vinyl bottoms are good for people in wet bathing suits or wet dogs in from the rain.

If you can do what Ray did, it is better to order from a place in Canada and save with the exchange rate and not pay customs also. We are doing that with flooring, buying in Chilliwack.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:37 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19- May 2015 /2013 Pathfinder
We got our fabric from Georgian Bay Ontario Canada - Sunbrella Boat Tops, Canvas Covers, Custom Biminis, Marine Upholstery, Boat Fabrics & Carpeting - JT's Top Shop and we're happy with them. Canadian company with similar prices as sailrite. They don't respond to email well but were professional when I called them.
Texadabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:32 AM   #15

Can some people with custom fabric post some pictures, I'd like to see what you guys did!
Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #16

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I ordered custom fabric for the cushions and different fabric for the valences. I plan on making 2 pillows with the valence material and 2 pillows with one of the colors in the cushion material. I sent it to ETI via USPS from my local Post Office. It cost me $48 and got there in less than a week. Our build doesn't start until the end of July. (Will try to post photos of fabric... but from different computer.)
Lucy
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #17
P&L

....and I purchased indoor/outdoor fabric at a local discounted fabric store and sent it via USPS. They got it in a four days. Then, thru this forum, I learned that ETI could make a cover for the mattress too. Bought more fabric and sent it USPS with the same results. Each shipment cost me $40.

Sorry, no photos of the finished product but I'm finally pleased with my final selection. I chose a plain fabric for the seating/bed and I'm making pillows with the colorful fabric to brighten it up. The fabric was the most difficult decision for me and my husband couldn't understand my dilemma.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1981.jpg  
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #18
P&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I really like what you have done.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:12 PM   #19

Here is a picture of our custom fabric we received Wednesday from ETI. We pick it up at the end of the month and I can't wait to see it in person. It is upholstery fabric and I plan to Scotch Guard it as soon as I get it home.
[ATTACH]10642
Attached Thumbnails
5-13-15 pic 9.JPG   5-13-15 pic 10.JPG  
jbdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #20

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Anyone have a pic of a mattress cover?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote