Digital thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Digital thermostat

From reading the forum, I understand that you can order a digital thermostat even if you do not get the AC. Why would you want this, what info does it give you? Has any one ordered it recently. I was told by ET that this could not be ordered without the AC but not sure she understands what I am asking. Also the Horst probes are they needed and why? I have ordered a 21 and new to all this?
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Haven't heard of the digital thermostat option from Escape for the heater only. I suppose it would make sense if the trailer was prewired for AC so you could add it later. But with the furnace only, it doesn't really add a benefit. With AC it means there is only one thermostat that controls both heat and AC, just like central air in your home.

As for the Horst probes, we have them. They work just like the stock tank probes, providing info on the black tank and gray tank levels. The only difference is the design of the portion of the probe that sits inside the tank. They are not susceptible to having debris accumulate on them, which can cause false readings on the tank monitor.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you can't get the digital thermostat from ETI then just add one yourself for the furnace after you get the trailer. Easy 2 wire installation. Something like this works perfect:
http://www.amazon.com/LuxPro-Digital.../dp/B002SR9PHM
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'd recommend the digital thermostat even if you don't have A/C. That stooopid manual thing I have bruises the pad of my thumb to turn it on and off.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:34 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'd recommend the digital thermostat even if you don't have A/C. That stooopid manual thing I have bruises the pad of my thumb to turn it on and off.
Hi: Donna D... Apart from being bruised turning the furnace on the digital thermostat would eliminate the stooopid SPROING noise each time it kicks on/off. Sure wish I'd put one in!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The way I understand the digital thermostat is it is a package deal offered by Dometic and comes with a special shroud, wiring and connectors to operate the air conditioning. Hooking it up to the furnace is secondary. It is totally different than the a/c without the digital set up. I wanted the digital with my Polar Cub a/c, could not get it unless I went with the Dometic a/c. So I think there is more to the reason for not installing without Dometic air conditioning, opening a box and only using some of the parts becomes expensive if you do it more than once.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:44 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had the analog thermostat in my last trailer, besides the spring noise Alf mentions, there is a large temperature swing to them, like +/- 5 degrees or more. The digitals can be set for +/- 1 or 2 degrees, that makes a big difference in comfort.

If you're not getting A/C and ETI really doesn't offer a heat only digital thermostat, I'd not worry about it. As mentioned, they are easy to replace afterwards.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For those with dented thumbs & hearing loss due to the "Sprong", it isn't too difficult to change the Dometic stock thermostat to a digital one. I replaced mine with a Honeywell RTH111 from Home Depot because I got tired of the difficult switch, and wanted to see a temperature readout.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
Thanks everyone for your replies. I now know a little bit more. I was in my sister's 19 escape and on the max fan it had a button that had a temp of 78 on it. If pressed it meant that the fan would automatically come on when the temp went over 78. Does the fan have a thermostat ?
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. I now know a little bit more. I was in my sister's 19 escape and on the max fan it had a button that had a temp of 78 on it. If pressed it meant that the fan would automatically come on when the temp went over 78. Does the fan have a thermostat ?
Yes, the Maxx Fan "deluxe" used by Escape has a thermostat. I believe you can change the temperature at which the fan automatically starts, but I haven't messed with mine.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
This is also a nice heat only thermostat replacement for those without a digital heat stat. Easy 2 wire change out. In have installed several of these and had one in our Casita. Runs on 2 AA bateries.

1E78-140 - White Rodgers 1E78-140 - Non-Programmable Thermostat, 24 Volt or Millivolt system, Vertical
Old 07-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkavanagh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, the Maxx Fan "deluxe" used by Escape has a thermostat. I believe you can change the temperature at which the fan automatically starts, but I haven't messed with mine.
See page 7. Adjusts in 1 degree increments up or down from the default 78F. Neat feature.

http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-...6.pdf?sfvrsn=8
Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
I was thinking of going to one of these digital thermostats for the reasons already stated, but have one concern. Though a 5 deg swing in temp is excessive, I wonder if the furnace will be cycling on and off constantly. The furnace is very quiet, so noise isn’t an issue, but the blower comes on for a while at the beginning and end of each cycle. Do you think this extra fan time might be significant? We do a lot of boon docking and I wonder if the extra fan time might drain our batteries a lot faster, especially when it is cold. Maybe a digital thermostat with a 3 degree F swing might be better for us.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
A programmable thermostat is kinda overkill for a small trailer, but many of them have an adjustable temperature swing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbito View Post
I was thinking of going to one of these digital thermostats for the reasons already stated, but have one concern. Though a 5 deg swing in temp is excessive, I wonder if the furnace will be cycling on and off constantly. The furnace is very quiet, so noise isn’t an issue, but the blower comes on for a while at the beginning and end of each cycle. Do you think this extra fan time might be significant? We do a lot of boon docking and I wonder if the extra fan time might drain our batteries a lot faster, especially when it is cold. Maybe a digital thermostat with a 3 degree F swing might be better for us.

Bob K
Actually since I posted the link in post #3 I changed to a heating and cooling version because I had wired up the rooftop AC to a relay so it would turn it off when a temperature was met. That is gone now since I did my mini-split, but the thermostat still works great for heating only. It has an adjustable temperature swing that may address your concern. Apparently it is adjustable from 0.25 to 2.25F +/- from set temperature. So for example if set to 70F it could be made to turn on at ~68F and off at ~72F

https://www.amazon.com/Lux-Products-.../dp/B000FOOFES