dinette choice - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: TBD
dinette choice

I did a search with no joy but I am sure the answer is out there, just beyond my search skill level. Although I have a lot of fu in my life, apparently google-fu is not part of it. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages to each dinette choice. Not actually having seen the u-shaped dinette I would think the table would be significantly smaller. What was your decision-making process for this?

Old 03-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
If you go to the ETI website and open E21 trailer and look at spec's they have the measurements for both the standard and "U" tables....45" vs 30", same width.....

Old 03-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We prefer the large table. On a rainy day or a mosquito evening it is nice to invite others in for a game of cards, drinks or hot coffee and have table and seating. We put a stool at the end of the table and have sat 6 for dinner on a cold night when there was a fire ban on. If it was just the two of us the u shape would be great.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
For my wife and I the benefit of the U is we can use the back bench for our little dog and it serves as a place to put stuff when sitting at the table. Deb's craft stuff, or a book or 2 of mine. The U allows for more under seat storage, in mine all the electronics and batteries are under the rear seat, the drivers side has the water heater and pump, leaving the passenger side empty, at least till we fill it. I believe the batteries are in the passenger side seat of the non U but I'm not sure.

If I were to need to seat more then 2 I'd think the non U would be better. The rear seat doesn't look very comfortable to me.

I've shaved my table down to 24", works better for us then the full size U table. Actually the 24"er is another table top, I put the original back on if the grand kids are going with us. They had no complaints about sitting on the rear bench, but then they are little kids.

I can put my feet up on the rear bench if I can get them around the table leg. It's a longer area to stretch out then putting them up on the same side I'm sitting on.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here are photos of the U-dinette and regular dinette. In the regular dinette the table is 35 wide x 46 long, the U-dinette table is 35 wide x 29 long. These dimensions are from the 5.0TA, but I believe the 21 is almost identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dinette plain 46x35.jpg (30.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Dinette U 35x29.jpg (84.7 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21. 2016 Kia Sorento EX+ V6
Send a message via Skype™ to travdes
I sat in both recently. If we were regularly seating more than 2, I would pick the standard dinette. As it is, we have a 17 year old who hates camping, and when she does come she prefers her own tent. So we made the choice to pick the dinette that made sense for 95% of the time. It's not that uncomfortable in the back for someone who has no belly or a child. As for myself I'm pushing 260 and if I weight much more my belly would be rubbing the table . We also do most of our eating outdoors so at most we expect the dinette to be used for working on our laptops or playing cards etc.
travdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Another thing to consider is the weight/awkward ness of the larger table if you need to make it into a bed nightly. The smaller table can be handled by one, whereas two people is needed for the larger table.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
I solved the large/small table with one that is each. The folding/sliding tables from Marine Teak let you have both. While I purchased the 39.4" Star Slide table, if I had it to do over I'd select the same sized Star Wing version.

Some photos of it in the 21 are at my Escape 21 Modifications page.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The larger table being more difficult to wrestle can be solved with several other table mounting options. I chose the Springfield pedestal for this reason.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
The larger table being more difficult to wrestle can be solved with several other table mounting options. I chose the Springfield pedestal for this reason.

Agreed, the Springfield pedestal is easy to push down for sleeping arrangements.

rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote