Do I need an exterior 12v outlet - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #21

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can also buy 12V extension cords for cheap if you are late with your build list.
I run mine out the door or out a window to power my pump or fan.
Too funny! I just got off the phone with hubby and he said he could run an extension cord if need be, but he didn't know if there was a 12v one. Now we know there is! Thanks for this.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we wish we had one. will prolly install one to run the 12V holiday lights that we string outboard on the awning for some cheerful extra lighting under the awning. Right now the light cord is long enough to run thru the rear storage door but... would be nice to be outside. everyone elses ideas are great too!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While the Horst probes are a nice addition, after using the trailer for awhile you will develop a sense of when it is time to dump. You may be surprised the first couple of times, but after that the "fuzzy" readings won't be much of a problem.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
You know folks, once we get our build sheets finalized we are NOT allowed to read any more posts about options folks are getting or questions on it or what others got in the past or ANYTHING build sheet related!
We turned our build sheet in about 2 weeks ahead of time to lock prices. Once we signed off on it, never took it out again or looked at it till it was time to go to orientation. What's done is done.
Crystal called us one time to mention they couldn't do one item once Reace reviewed it and we had them just take it off, but that change was on ETI so no charge for removing it.

Agree with Jon, on the probes. Once you've checked the levels for awhile it's pretty easy to know where yours read.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think it all depends on where your batteries are in which trailer. In the 19 they are in the front box and easily accessible if you need to hook something up. Similarly on the 17 being outside on the rear.
I have opened up the battery box on the back of a 17 Foot (almost a decade ago), and I would not want go through that hassle to get to the battery terminals and clip on a power cord. On the other hand, an outdoor-grade socket could be installed right in the battery box, providing an outside outlet without doing any wiring inside the trailer or making any more holes in the trailer shell; with a 17' with dual 6V batteries there could even be a socket on each side of the trailer. Similarly, a trailer with battery (or batteries) in the front box could get a socket installed in the box wall, or even inside the box.

An alternative might be to install sockets inside any compartments with exterior doors, which would protect those sockets when it is not in use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You can also buy 12V extension cords for cheap if you are late with your build list.
I have one of those. "Cheap" is certainly the operative word. I really dislike "lighter" sockets, and avoid making strings of them with adapters and extensions, but it does work. Also, these extensions usually have light-gauge wire so they add a lot of resistance.

An alternative is a booster pack. I carry one of these in the tug anyway, so for tire inflation I just take the pack to where I am using the pump.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
or, install one of these smart battery boxes Amazon.com: UPG 40790 Black Marine Smart Box: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
61qiWz0boKL._SL1200_.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
There are 12v good extension cords available.

Robot Check
Old 01-25-2016, 08:40 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
...An alternative might be to install sockets inside any compartments with exterior doors, which would protect those sockets when it is not in use...
That is what I would do if I ever developed a need for an outside 12V plug. Would probably put one just inside the rear compartment.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is sold at Costco for $80. Use it all the time, including running our Bose outside on 12V.
Attached Thumbnails
psx3.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #30

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape
Respectfully to all who have commented on this subject. I don't think that running extension cords out of doors or windows is a sensible solution. On top of the logistics, I really don't need another piece of gear added to my list. K.I.S.S principle at work here...
M.W.Deters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you are getting a 12v exterior outlet for an item on one side of the trailer, fine. If you want to put air in the tires, you would need exterior outlets on both sides not to need an extension cord. We have 12v outlets near the door inside and at the dinette on d/s but I am sure that a compressor would not reach with either because the cords on those things always seem to be very short.

Did someone say quite a while back that a 12v exterior outlet could be mistaken for something else?

By the way, we have solar exterior light strings.

We added an extra exterior 120v but it went on the back because the usual place is where the second hatch is located.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ross,
That looks like a nice item to have, are you pleased with the tire compressor on trailer tires?
Old 01-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My electric tire compressor came with heavier wire and battery clamps, suggesting to me that the manufacturer meant me to attach it directly to the battery. I've had other pumps with the flimsy wiring and cigarette lighter end plug, and the resistance does heat the wiring substantially.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Yes Ross! Inquiring minds want to know! I had a dead battery while working doing home visits yesterday and that gadget looks pretty tempting. I got pretty cold waiting for a jump from AAA!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:10 PM   #35

Hi Jim, Jan & Paul- that Power Station PX3 is similar to what AAA comes out with to jump your battery, except theirs doesn't have the air compressor. I use it regularly to fill trailer tires and increase rear tires on the tug as well as our bikes and it doesn't need to be plugged in to work.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
How often do you have to charge it up?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #37

I follow the recommended instructions to charge after each use, however my son has one and no surprise he doesn't toe the same line and hasn't complained.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This is sold at Costco for $80. Use it all the time, including running our Bose outside on 12V.
Good example of a booster pack, in this case with an air compressor (and who knows what other features) as well. I haven't seen that model in Costco Canada stores, but there's probably an equivalent... and the price (US$80) is in line with what I have paid for similar products.

It is what I meant by "booster pack" in my earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An alternative is a booster pack. I carry one of these in the tug anyway, so for tire inflation I just take the pack to where I am using the pump.
I currently have one with a good air compressor, but a previous pack's compressor was disappointing (mostly the air chuck). A separate air compressor works for tires, too.

I even used one to run a GPS in a car once for a long drive, because I was running an iPod as well and had only one 12V socket. Not the slickest solution, but I had it with me anyway...

Costco (US) online: CAT 1000 Peak Amp Battery Jump-Starter | Power Station | Compressor
Costco (Canada) online - no air compressor: Duracell Portable Emergency Jump Start
Costco (Canada) online - with air compressor: Duracell Powerpack Pro 1300 with Built-in 160 PSI Air Compressor
Old 01-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Did someone say quite a while back that a 12v exterior outlet could be mistaken for something else?
Only if you use a type of outlet which normally has another purpose.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Something else that works is a small generator. When we go hunting up north I always carry a small generator in the truck tool box to power a battery charger, small electric compressor and the frost plug on the truck in case of a cold snap.

I do plan on installing a 12 volt outlet on the passenger side for our endless breeze fan to keep the migs down when we don't want to mess with the bug room. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Schnauzer
Remember, friends don’t let friends eat farmed salmon.
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote