Do you need air conditioning? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
So now you realize that the Pacific Northwet is not limited to your side of the Mississippi, we have 2 seasons, heat or air conditioning here in Pennsylvania.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:08 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So now you realize that the Pacific Northwet is not limited to your side of the Mississippi, we have 2 seasons, heat or air conditioning here in Pennsylvania.
Hi: cpaharley2008...Up here on the North Shore of Lake Erie we have 2 seasons. Winter and construction!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We only have one season, Pothole. Used to be in the spring, now it never ends.
Old 09-30-2018, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008...Up here on the North Shore of Lake Erie we have 2 seasons. Winter and construction!!! Alf
Let's see, you just got a new kitchen and tug, now what does the Mrs. want?? I know, the last 10 years back..... You can not beat father time.....
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #25

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
We live in nearby Seattle and haven't missed it. Most of the places we camp in the heat of the summer are a bit elevated, or on the coast, and both are more moderated in terms of temperature. Only you can decide if it's "necessary" though.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:56 PM   #26

Do you need air conditioning?

Hi: Bcescapist... The short answer is No... but it sure is nice to have it if you did!!! We use ours very few times but it's there to use. Alf
Old 09-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #27

Quote:
Let's see, you just got a new kitchen and tug, now what does the Mrs. want?? I know, the last 10 years back..... You can not beat father time.....
Hi: cpaharley2008... I sure wouldn't want to relive the last 10 yrs and I don't think the Mrs. wants to either. The new kitchen was necessary from the time we bought this house in 1980. The new tugs and for that matter the trailers were not, but they have helped us enjoy the last 10-12 yrs. When opportunity knocks open the door Eh? Alf
Old 09-30-2018, 10:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Every couple of months a new thread on this topic occurs. And, every couple of months it gets pointed out that this is about location. Really that simple. You'll know it if you need it. Don't try getting an RV without AC if you live where we do, unless you intend to camp only from October to March. I'd say there are probably 3 categories: One where you don't need it, one where you MAY need it, and one where you definitely DO need it.
Of course with global warming the hot location may come to the OP’s location .....
hopefully here in BC the new normal won’t continue to be having forest fire season instead of summer season. Some of us BCers don’t camp when the whole province seems to be burning.

All that to say, we were like the opening post and were new to trailering so we ordered the AC and have used it about 3 times since Sept 2014. If you can get your 17b AC ready I’d wait till later. Like you we had hoped to go south and wanted AC for that but the exchange rate (and political climate) hasn’t been working in our favour.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
We are buying a 17B and have to have the options list ready for December. We don't have a lot of trailer experience except for our tent trailer a few years back. I've never been a big fan of A/C and don't find we need it in Vancouver area. Don't like the idea of camping with the windows all shut up. My question is if it is needed in the escape trailer. We will likely be camping in BC for the summer months so might be in the Okanagan I guess. My husband might be in the south a bit in the winter. Does the trailer get really hot? Does it cool off at night? Maybe there are some people out there without A/C who can let me know what it's like. Thanks!
We have been south (CA/AZ) in the winter in our old 17B and would not have needed it, not even close. It cools right off during the evenings and overnight. As to summer in BC, we haven’t had AC and although it was warming at times, with the Maxx fan and overnight cooling, we never felt that lije was hell without AC. If you like to dry camp, you would need to carry a generator to run the AC anyway.

So we are a no, and to this point haven't yet felt that we had been mistaken.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
"Need" is so subjective. During the big trip, I found a VERY good reason you may want air conditioning... it removes some humidity! While on the East Coast where the temperature was hovering near 95 degrees F, and the humidity was 100%, everything, absolutely everything was wet inside the trailer. Including the outside of the refrigerator! I was constantly wiping the door down. We had the MaxxFan running full blast and opened all the cupboard doors too. I could handle the heat... but NOT the moisture. UGH.

I now know what people are really asking when wanting to know about a dehumidifer. In my previous narrow view, it was only about needing to remove moisture at the end of a camping trip or during storage. Boy was I wrong!
Thus the incredible value of my mini-split here on the East Coast. Not only whisper QUIET cooling and heating, but a dry mode for dehumidifying. The trailer stays plugged in during storage so it is nice to be able to keep it moderately conditioned and moisture levels reasonable when needed.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We live in Seattle and don't have AC in our new 21, I didn't want it because I would hit my head on it when cooking. We were in central OR this summer with ~35* c temps and the trailer got warm but we could cool if off at night fine and there wasn't power anyway. That said the only real downsides are cost and headroom, so if you don't mind the extra cost and aren't over 6'2" I would say get it. I wish there was an option for a cabinet mount model, I might try to retrofit one if we do a trip south or just bring a small rollaway unit.
sailor231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor231 View Post
We live in Seattle and don't have AC in our new 21, I didn't want it because I would hit my head on it when cooking. We were in central OR this summer with ~35* c temps and the trailer got warm but we could cool if off at night fine and there wasn't power anyway. That said the only real downsides are cost and headroom, so if you don't mind the extra cost and aren't over 6'2" I would say get it. I wish there was an option for a cabinet mount model, I might try to retrofit one if we do a trip south or just bring a small rollaway unit.
I think I'm going to find a small portable one that I can vent out the front side window. I don't need one much of the time but it sure would be nice other times. Plus I'd like to take a longer trip and as Donna said, you run into conditions unlike home on a long trip. There are some portables with a fairly small footprint.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
If you only stay in the cool temps, then you don’t need it.

Problem is...even the cool temps warm up sometimes. I would get one.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #34

Trailer: 17B 2019
Thanks for the help. Didn't think about the dog so something to consider but nice to know you can manage without the a/c a lot of the time. Thinking we will talk to escape about wiring in for the a/c and then see how we do with out it because of the expense. Next we need to decide what to do about the windows so will read through those posts.
Kathleen
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
It was 44 degrees Celsius in Zion National Park when I was there, they were dumping ice in the pool, glad I had AC.

If I was ordering a trailer, I would ensure the roof supports were there so as to add it later.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I always find this topic slightly confusing ? When you look at the base price of an Escape the cost of adding A/C only increases the total cost 3 to 4%
If you look at the price of Escapes as actually ordered with options , adding A/C adds about 2.5 to 3% to the total cost
Hardly a staggering increase in the overall cost

We all have our prejudices, it’s just that people will spend $2k or $3K on custom flooring , drapes , fabric , countertops but balk at $1100 for an A/C
I apologize but I just don’t get it .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 AM   #37

It appears that this question is asked routinely by those living in colder climates, normally above the border. I believe Jim B.'s first Escape did not have air conditioning but his second Escape does. The need for it is less the farther north or distance from humid places. Some people use a/c to dehumidify, like now, it is only 75 degrees but 95% humidity and I have the a/c on to make it feel comfortable. All the Escapes built now have the reinforced roof and come a/c ready, so it can be added later. What works for one may not work for someone else, just personal preference.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Not all decisions of whether or not to get A/C is based on dollars. At least it wasn't for me. It was about where I was going to camp and time. All appliances, etc. come with a warranty. I knew by time I was going to need an A/C the warranty would be long done. And at that point, any repairs would be on me. Why get something I wasn't going to use and have it just sit and wait? Especially something fairly expensive? Fortunately I'm six hours from the factory. When I decide A/C is needed, I'll drive up and have it put on. That's when the warranty starts. To me that was a better decision. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #39

Trailer: none
Two words: global warming.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/07/c...port-2040.html

Get the AC and eliminate the furnace.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #40

Quote:
It appears that this question is asked routinely by those living in colder climates, normally above the border. I believe Jim B.'s first Escape did not have air conditioning but his second Escape does. The need for it is less the farther north or distance from humid places. Some people use a/c to dehumidify, like now, it is only 75 degrees but 95% humidity and I have the a/c on to make it feel comfortable. All the Escapes built now have the reinforced roof and come a/c ready, so it can be added later. What works for one may not work for someone else, just personal preference.
Hi: cpaharley2008... Our climate here on the north shore of Lake Erie is sometimes the same as Florida. Being surrounded by 2/3 rds of the worlds fresh water has its drawbacks too. Alf