Does anyone have a picture of the u shaped dinette? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' Escape to be hatched March, 10, 2015
Does anyone have a picture of the u shaped dinette?

Hello,

We put our deposit down on a 21' today! We haven't seen an Escape in person yet! But we are former fiberglass boat owners and want the durability of a fiberglass trailer. We want to make the dinette more of a lounge area. Has anyone else done this in a 21 or 5 er? Thanks for all the info in this forum. The enthusiasm here convinced us!

Cathy and Mike
Catmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Many have opted for the lounge set-up. If you go through the It's Friday thread under the Visual Escape forum, you will see many pics with and without:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...iday-3244.html

BTW, welcome to the Forum!
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Hi,

I'm not sure how the new u-shaped option works. We have the original 5.0 (single axle) that came with a u-shaped dinette, so I assume it is similar.

Ours came with a sliding table set on two posts. It slides back to allow access to the side benches, and forwards to allow seating along the back wall.

We found the posts limited our legroom. Also, the table did not slid far enough back to allow easy access. We removed the forward post and flange from the floor, and removed the rear flange from the table. Now the rear post sits in the forward flange on the table (if that makes any sense).

The result is that the table shifts back farther to allow easier access to our benches, and allows more legroom. The table is still study enough for us, but less so than before.

I'm not sure that the U arrangement is ideal. I find it uncomfortable to sit against the rear wall, unless I use an additional cushion.

Unfortunately, the dinette is designed to be converted to an extra bed, which we will never need. This means that, like all trailers I have seen, the dinette is less comfortable for just lounging around that it could be if it was designed specifically for this purpose. I would like to see an option for a comfortable dinette that does not convert to a bed.

Still, we LOVE our trailer!

Hope this helps...

Sharon
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a thread with pictures of the "U" dinette.http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...ures-3432.html Depending on your needs, some have deleted the table option and just installed little flip shelves, others have opted for both, your choice. I love my "U" dinette in BlackJack, I have a couple of these Arlee Micro Plush Bedrest Lounger, Rich Black
If you will not be using it as a bed, then order an extra piece with cushion to extend the back another 12". Again, ETI is a custom builder.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love the lounge in Ten Forward. For me, it was the right decision. NO table and two stooge tables. I love, love, love it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:57 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for advice. I will check out the threads. Lots of choices but good ones. Cathy
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Hi Catmike, we just got our trailer with the U dinette and have been attempting to come up with a more comfortable arrangement. Like Sharon, even with the table slid back we find it a hassle to get in and out of, and find none of the backs shaped well for ones back. For 2 people the sliding table is really too big, been thinking about using tv tables, but they only have enough room for the dinner plates, not the serving dishes, so I may have to build something in the middle from scratch. Removing the table makes for a more comfortable area but it's a hassle to take apart, weighs a few lbs, and i ungainly to put up on the bed every day.

I'm going to check with ETI to see if they will make me an extra cushion, similar to what Donna had done to extend the rear seat area a bit. I'm also going to look into replacing the seat cushions with a firmer grade of foam, gets kind of uncomfortable after an hour or 2, I think I'm sinking through to the wood. So far the big 22" square throw pillows seem to be working well for our backs.

If you didn't see it, ETI will not replace the dinette with la-z-boys or similar, structural issues.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0102.jpg  
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #8

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure how the new u-shaped option works. We have the original 5.0 (single axle) that came with a u-shaped dinette, so I assume it is similar.

Ours came with a sliding table set on two posts. It slides back to allow access to the side benches, and forwards to allow seating along the back wall.

We found the posts limited our legroom. Also, the table did not slid far enough back to allow easy access. We removed the forward post and flange from the floor, and removed the rear flange from the table. Now the rear post sits in the forward flange on the table (if that makes any sense).

The result is that the table shifts back farther to allow easier access to our benches, and allows more legroom. The table is still study enough for us, but less so than before.

I'm not sure that the U arrangement is ideal. I find it uncomfortable to sit against the rear wall, unless I use an additional cushion.

Unfortunately, the dinette is designed to be converted to an extra bed, which we will never need. This means that, like all trailers I have seen, the dinette is less comfortable for just lounging around that it could be if it was designed specifically for this purpose. I would like to see an option for a comfortable dinette that does not convert to a bed.

Still, we LOVE our trailer!

Hope this helps...

Sharon
Very clever...we are going to experiment with this!!
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck View Post
I would like to see an option for a comfortable dinette that does not convert to a bed.
I'd love to see a 2 recliner & full size bed model. I understand and accept the limitations; but it certainly looks like there is a demand for it.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The 21' comes with a full size bed, but the dinette walls need to remain for structural reasons.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
I'd love to see a 2 recliner & full size bed model. I understand and accept the limitations; but it certainly looks like there is a demand for it.
Someone here may object to my quote, but I asked about this... wanted the entire backend for a "livingroom." Just give me ONE Bark-o-Lounger in that entire dinnette area and I would be THRILLED. Reace told me no. Sigh. Doesn't mean YOU can't build it. Kerfs in plywood to keep the backend from getting "floppy."

Still dreaming... although my u-shape dinette (and NO table) extra filler board and cushion is CLOSE.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #12

I think we will do the 'Donna' design. No big table, add 2 flip up ones. Add an insert to extend the back seat, so in a pinch someone could sleep there. Also, will try to get a thicker foam in the upholstery ..we are on the bigger side with old backs. The more support the better! I have seen some fold up aluminum tables that we might fit if I ever need inside work space. But come to think of it once I retire in 2015 I ain't going to work no more. LOL

Cathy
Old 08-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Site Team

Cathy, my thinking was to start "small," move to BIG if necessary. The extra cost for the "filler board" (which is the same Formica as the counter) and the extra cushion (maybe $100) was worth it TO ME. Got the two stooge tables (and EXTRA walls enforced) and if I figured out this wasn't the layout for me... I'd drag the table and poles from under my daugher's bed (got everything I needed for the front-to-back sliding table from ETI) But I HAD to try. So far, like 11 nights, I love it. I'm also a single traveler if that makes a difference.....
Old 08-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Several have opted to not have the table installed, and instead have two flip up extension counters put in. Some have then devised other means to support the table without the installed pedestal receptacles, which allows them to have more of a living room fell without the table or pedestal mounts in place. Note that with the u-shape dinette the table isn't as large and slides front to back rather than side to side.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Someone here may object to my quote, but I asked about this... wanted the entire backend for a "livingroom." Just give me ONE Bark-o-Lounger in that entire dinnette area and I would be THRILLED. Reace told me no. Sigh. Doesn't mean YOU can't build it. Kerfs in plywood to keep the backend from getting "floppy."

Still dreaming... although my u-shape dinette (and NO table) extra filler board and cushion is CLOSE.
Hi Donna,
Did you ever try the high back chairs JohnV and I used in our 17 front dinettes?
If we went with the U dinette in our 21 I was going to try and include them... I still might get around to it one day.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...ue--10967917"]
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulw View Post
Hi Donna,
Did you ever try the high back chairs JohnV and I used in our 17 front dinettes?
If we went with the U dinette in our 21 I was going to try and include them... I still might get around to it one day.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...ue--10967917"]
No Paul, I didn't. I'm going to make a bunch of coordinating fluffy pillows and try that first. I love the upholstery in TF, but need to break it up a bit and I think pillows will help.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Unfortunately for others, it appears that we got the West Marine chairs while the getting was good. Your link is dead, and I've searched their site & can no longer find the chair.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Jon, et al.,

We just decided to get those West Marine chairs, based on your blog, Jon. We just ordered them and they will arrive shortly. Here's the current link:

WEST MARINE High-Back Go-Anywhere Seat, Navy Blue | West Marine

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Unfortunately for others, it appears that we got the West Marine chairs while the getting was good. Your link is dead, and I've searched their site & can no longer find the chair.
Hi Jon,
Ya - it took me a while to find them last night then I guess I fumbled the copy/paste on my I-Pad.... ksitte found them anyway - good price too!
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
New Model

Found this:
WEST MARINE

Go-Anywhere Chair with Arms

Model # 14979363 | Mfg # 99026
$149.99
Attached Images

Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags