Drop it like it's hot! ***12v Drops*** - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's two dozen beer.
Priorities please.
You must drink the cheap stuff

2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
What trailer are you getting? it would help if you change your settings to reflect it. You could get specific info on what cabinets need lighting if we knew.

On my 5.0TA we find 2 12v outlets inside enough. 1 near the table, one near a convenient spot for charging phones and such. Unconventionally we have one outside too.

12 volt lighting drops. While I did not order any, I ran wire from existing lights to 2 of our cabinets that needed such, the rest are fine without. In our case it is the cabinet between the door and loft, the other being the closet. For the closet I added lights above and below the shelf.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
To me, part of the fun part in modifying your trailer is making it "yours" versus having something everyone else has but not necessarily what you want. Trying to figure out how to add a 12v light or outlet is not that hard as most locations have one nearby that is easily accessible. If not nearby, then that is where the fun begins. Unless you have used a similar model and know, "I want something right here" then I would wait and then decide later. Adding a lot of needless wires for "just in case" scenario, is expensive.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Combo Plug

Quote:
2 being the usb combo plugs
The combo plug we are discussing is a combination 110 outlet and two usb connections. I do not have these outlets but would expect they need to have two sets of wires running to them, the standard household 110 volt and the 12 volt used throughout the Escape trailer. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have some question about the value of these USB combo plugs. The advantage of these plugs is they eliminate the need for the adapter, just plug in the usb cable and you are set to go.

Here is the dilemma, some usb devices want to charge at different rates. Lets take Apple products for an example since they are common. The Apple products take different adapters and use different current. See the table below. I would expect that a combo plug would be using the lowest or safest current rate, unless it is intelligent or auto sensing. I use a 12 volt adapter made by Powergen that is dual port for Apple and Non Apple devices and auto sensing. It charges at the fastest rate the device allows.

There is not risk of damage with a combo plug, it is just you may be charging an iPad at the slowest rate. My iPad seems to take a long long time to charge, even using the Apple supplied adapter. I would not want to make it slower.

Can anyone comment on what the model and specifications of the ETI provided combo plug might be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apple Charge Rates.JPG (20.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 12 volt charger.jpg (36.7 KB, 5 views)
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What trailer are you getting? it would help if you change your settings to reflect it. You could get specific info on what cabinets need lighting if we knew.

On my 5.0TA we find 2 12v outlets inside enough. 1 near the table, one near a convenient spot for charging phones and such. Unconventionally we have one outside too.

12 volt lighting drops. While I did not order any, I ran wire from existing lights to 2 of our cabinets that needed such, the rest are fine without. In our case it is the cabinet between the door and loft, the other being the closet. For the closet I added lights above and below the shelf.

I have a 19 footer on order
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:45 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I believe the combo plug ETI installs is the 12v round and 2 USB 12v plugs, there are combo 120v and USB plugs but I did not think ETI uses them as they require a deeper electrical box. As far as draw, I sopped trying to figure out the 2.1 vs the 1.0 USB and just plug in and leave until fully charged, one just takes longer than the other.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 15B
Back to puck lights. We recently installed a puck light in our bath that is motion activated. Bought it at IKEA for under $10. So far it's working well and is perfect for those late night visits.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19, 2007 Tacoma 4X4 V6 tow package
Couple of points. Combo 120v/USB only need the 120v connection, they have the converter built in for the USB voltage.

USB voltage is 5v

I've been emailing with Crystal about 12v outlets and drops. The lighting wiring is 16G and the drops come off those.

The 12v outlets installed use 14G wire. They will not do 12v drops with 14G.

Jeff
Jeff in Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
What else could I use the drops for? This is why I'm asking. I have no experience camping in a trailer. I don't know what I need or want yet.
We tapped into one of the light fixtures in the bed area to add a 12 volt outlet to plug in two CPAP machines...
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We are told that ETI only has USBs with the 12Vs. We have added some of those.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote