Dry Clean Only Fabric - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Dry Clean Only Fabric

I have looked at probably thousands of upholstery samples online and am not crazy about most of them. I want to go with maple and the stock Formica and flooring and want a black background, so that limits me a little. I really wanted to order Sailrite/Sunbrella fabrics since everyone thinks highly of them, but can’t find anything I like. I have recently found several similar ones I love (and I will order samples before making a decision) but they seem to be dry clean only or something about spot clean with solvent. Has anyone used dry clean only fabric in their trailer and regretted it? We aren’t that dirty or messy a people and even our dogs are pretty clean. In twelve years I’ve never dumped a drink (soda or iced tea, don’t drink wine) or food on a cushion in our trailer. Is it worth chancing? Also, how wide are the valances? Want to make sure the print isn’t too big. ��
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You can be the trail blazer, but I would not recommend, too easy for an accident in a rolling house.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We are going, aftermarket, with an ultrasuade. On sailboats it holds up well, has a soft finish, is not hot like leathers or naguas, and cleans easily with just water. Our problem is finding a color we like. The patented Ultrasuade can be found online. We also looked at Sensuade, as ultrasuade is a patented name. Sensuade has interesting colors but at 2 weeks of ordering samples with none showing up, we are are now looking at another brand of ultrasuade like product.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
you might try fabric.com

path home decor--canvas and duck--gives you a choice of black combined with 8 different colors to search for. I found them pretty quick with samples and they shipped fabric directly to ETI. (there was a small customs charge ETI paid and added to my bill).

my fabric was inexpensive enough that I stockpiled some in case of needing to recover. are you having full wrap cushions?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
The valances are 2" wide - I just happen to have our kitchen valance handy having removed it to install a hanging utensil rack there so here's a photo.

We had our previous trailer 15 years and I don't think we ever removed the cushion covers and tried to launder them, a little spot cleaning was all that we ever needed. Mary looked at Sailrite and didn't like the texture, she found something else from another supplier that has a softer feel - not dry clean only but does have more restrictive cleaning requirements than just tossing in the washer. However, like you we are pretty careful and liked the feel of a softer, more residential fabric. When you get custom upholstery there will be a good bit of fabric left over, so if you do ever have a spill or accident that stains or ruins a cushion you can easily get a replacement cover made.

We got our fabric from www.decorativefabricsdirect.com in Georgia, one of approximately three million suppliers Mary checked out before finding just the right one It is Bella-Dura Marley Kiwi.
Attached Thumbnails
P5014743.jpg   Table 2.jpg  
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #6

Yes, Fabric.com is a great place and I found some there that seemed like they would match and look fine. I don’t feel the need for full wrap cushions, so vinyl will work on the back for me (same as the Casita).

Oh shoot, messed up the quote... I checked out the other website mentioned and found one I liked a lot except guess what...dry clean only!!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:26 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Has anyone removed their cushion covers and cleaned them? Do the cushions fit back in after?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Has anyone removed their cushion covers and cleaned them? Do the cushions fit back in after?
I've read about people actually throwing them in the washer, don't remember what they said about drying but I would think line dry. They then put Saran wrap around the foam and it was much easier to slide the cushions back into the covers. Then they just reached in and tore out the Saran wrap. I'm trying it tomorrow on my Casita covers and will report back.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #9

thanks, the one I sit on could use cleaning.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #10

Cushion Cleaning

Ok, reporting back. I threw the 21 year old Casita cushion covers in the washer on gentle, allowing soaking time, and then line dried them. They came out nice and I guess a shade lighter in color, maybe. The foam was still in excellent condition (IMHO), so did not change. I put the small covers on with no Saran Wrap thinking they are small and how hard can it be? Dumb move. I wrapped the large ones in Saran Wrap and had them done in less than half the time.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We bought our fabric from Outdoor Fabrics Inc. in Barrie, Ontario and had it shipped right to Escape as we weren't sure about buying a fabric here and importing it.. We love it. Nice texture and heavy duty. Amazingly it looks almost like the fabric in davidmurphy02 #5 post. Ours is two years old, had a spill or two which wiped right up perfectly with no residue. The fabric brand is Crypton and the color is Reed Spring.
Old 05-11-2019, 06:18 PM   #12

It does seem so logical to order from JT’s but I just don’t see anything I love, only what I could live with. And I want something I will love! I will keep them in mind as I’m sure their stock changes from time to time.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
Quote:
I have washed our Escape standard cushion covers in our home washer on cold and then line dried. They fit fine afterwards. They never “looked” dirty but I felt a whole lot better after having them washed after a few years.
Peggy & Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:31 AM   #14

Were they the vinyl backed kind?
Old 05-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19'
Quote:
Were they the vinyl backed kind?
Yes. And did not have an awful time getting them back on the cushions, just took some time and effort.
Peggy & Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I washed ours also in the machine and dried them in the dryer on low. They are vinyl backed. And old!, Came out just fine
Old 05-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I like full wrap bc I can turn them over and use the other side.