Dual 6v Batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Ordered 2019 5.0 TA
Dual 6v Batteries

I just thought of something while reviewing my final build sheet which I have been asked to sign off. We have optioned the full solar setup with the dual 6v batteries; I also bought a Zamp port which they are going to install for us in case we end up doing a lot of boondocking and need more capacity.

My question is regarding the extra capacity, most portable systems I have come across that plug right into the Zamp ports specify they are suitable for 12v batteries. Does this mean that we are going to have to buy a specialized system?

Are we doing the right thing getting these 6v batteries? Please advise, we're not going to sign off until I have this figured out. THANKS

marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Ford F 150, Escape 21
The two 6v batteries are wired in series, making them look like a big 12V battery to just about everything.

One point on the Zamp port - it can be wired directly to the batteries or to the input of the Escape's on board solar controller. Which you ask for depends on the portable system you plan to use. If the portable panel has a on panel controller, you want the port wired directly to the batteries. If it doesn't, or you do a bit of connector work on the panel & provide a connection directly from the panel (bypassing the on panel controller), then you want it wired to the input of the trailer's controller.

Old 12-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Ordered 2019 5.0 TA
Thanks Jon, that makes a lot of sense. As an example of what I was looking at see link below.

180W Folding Solar Panel Kit - We Go Solar Canada

It does seem that most of these so-called briefcase systems come with a controller so I guess I should ask them to wire directly to batteries? I wonder if that may be a good idea anyways in terms of redundancy?

Thanks for the input,

Mars
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
From what I have read it is better to get portable solar panel without controller and wire to the RV solar controller, but either way will work.

I look at it this way, One brain controlling all the solar input is better then two brains that think/calculate differently.

"Live Life as if everything is rigged in your favor"
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #5

I also prefer to use just the trailer controller. I added a connector to the solar panel terminals & the input to the panel's controller. I can use it as designed if I lend it out or want to charge the truck. I unplug the panels from the controller & plug them into the cable leading to the trailer Zamp connector. Gives you the advantage of both.

If you never plan to use the portable panel for anything but the trailer, I'd buy a panel without a controller. Much less expensive, although you won't get cables, a case, etc. Try to match the voltage between the portable panel & the trailer panels (you will have to look at the specs) for the most output.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
....If you never plan to use the portable panel for anything but the trailer, I'd buy a panel without a controller. Much less expensive, although you won't get cables, a case, etc. Try to match the voltage between the portable panel & the trailer panels (you will have to look at the specs) for the most output.
"That's not entirely accurate Mr. President." My Renogy 100W folding panel came with a suitcase as does the Lensun.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
"That's not entirely accurate Mr. President." My Renogy 100W folding panel came with a suitcase as does the Lensun.
I was referring to purchasing a bare bones panel, the least expensive way to go. Glad to see there are panels available with cases but no controller.