Electrical Question - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That flip up table at the door end of kitchen is rectangle shaped (it was in mine) and made exiting the trailer harder when extended, I took mine off and reversed its direction, making it easier to exit while in use and still allowed use of that outlet by the door edge.
I just cut ours down 3 plus years ago .it stays up , never put down and not in the way anymore . Our 3 gal . Drinking water sits there when we are camping . Better access to the Plug there too. Had to change it ,in the way and wasn't going to put it up and down . Makes more sense to us now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:45 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm warning you this is probably more than you want to know about cords, but...

For general information about cable nomenclatures, check this page at DWC Blog. The letter codes give you a pretty good idea of what you will be getting. As the blog points out, cables are available in 600V & 300V (a "J" in the description for the 300V insulation). While the 300 volt is well within the voltages we will find with either the power cord or umbilical, the 600v insulation is much thicker, described as extra hard usage, and is recommended.

The least expensive jacket around a cable is thermoplastic. It is fairly stiff, particularly when cold, but is often used for both the umbilical & the 120V power cords for RVs.

Almost no one makes cable with natural rubber jackets, but there are a number of very flexible cables that work well in the cold. One type I like is Super VuTron, but there are other manufacturers.

Replacing the 120V power cord is pretty straight forward, only needing to select 3 wire #10 cable, and add a connector(s). Be careful of picking up replacement cable at a big box store. Some sell cold flexible cable, but some stock the less expensive thermoplastic. To add to the confusion, some thermoSET cables are cold flexible.

The umbilical is a bit more difficult since it contains 7 individual conductors, at least 2 of which are larger than the rest. etrailer sells a 6' Bargman umbilical with the 7 pin connector already attached that gets good cold weather reviews, but no indication of the jacket type. I'd call and ask about the individual wire sizes since they are not listed, and I would prefer at least #10 for the + and ground conductors. They also have longer versions of the cable.
Very informative Jon . Thankyou , Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #43

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
The umbilical is a bit more difficult since it contains 7 individual conductors, at least 2 of which are larger than the rest. etrailer sells a 6' Bargman umbilical with the 7 pin connector already attached that gets good cold weather reviews, but no indication of the jacket type. I'd call and ask about the individual wire sizes since they are not listed, and I would prefer at least #10 for the + and ground conductors. They also have longer versions of the cable.
The etrailer review video indicates the jacket type is silicone and the wire size is 10 gauge for the white, black and red conductors. The remaining four conductors are 14 gauge.
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The etrailer review video indicates the jacket type is silicone and the wire size is 10 gauge for the white, black and red conductors. The remaining four conductors are 14 gauge.
Sounds like a winner!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
etrailer sells a 6' Bargman umbilical with the 7 pin connector already attached that gets good cold weather reviews, but no indication of the jacket type
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
While information from the retailer is often suspect, the actual Bargman page for product 54006-009 confirms this (although it has a typo, of "silicon" for "silicone").
Quote:
7-way trailer connector molded to cold environment heavy duty blue silicon 7-way insulated cable (rated to -55 degrees Celsius/-67- degrees Fahrenheit).
There are also longer versions if you need that to reach the termination box.

Bargman also has the same thing with the addition to the description of "RV Clocking". The seven wires are arranged within the cable to line up with the connector pins, but there are two colour codes used with the 7-way blade connector: RV style (the original for this connector and as used by Escape), and the something resembling the SAE standard used for 7-pin commercial truck connections. The colour code of the ones not shown as "RV Clocking" may not match the Escape's existing wiring., and eTrailer question and answer #268113 confirms that 54006-009 does not follow the RV standard and would not match the existing cable in an Escape. I would suggest getting Bargman 54006-057 (or a longer equivalent: -058 for 8', -059 for 10')
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #46

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The colour code of the ones not shown as "RV Clocking" may not match the Escape's existing wiring., and eTrailer question and answer #268113 confirms that 54006-009 does not follow the RV standard and would not match the existing cable in an Escape. I would suggest getting Bargman 54006-057 (or a longer equivalent: -058 for 8', -059 for 10')
Good catch Brian!
rubicon327 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is the pull-up receptacle I put in my trailer when building the galley. Two USB and three 120V plugs. It is nice that I can pull it up just as needed, which is usually one 120V plug at the most. I can close it completely with USB cords connected. Bought at Lee Valley.

So fine!
Older posts, but still very relevant to a new build concept. ETI, are you listening?