Escape 21 - locating solar and battery monitors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2017, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21; previously a 2012 Escape 19
Escape 21 - locating solar and battery monitors

We are working on our Escape 21 build sheet and I received a pdf drawing (attached) showing the standard location of outlets, monitors, etc. I see they are putting their Solar Panel Monitor low on the side wall of the PS dinette seat instead of up high above the fridge. I plan to install my own solar system including a panel monitor (likely a Victron MPPT Control) and a battery monitor (Victron BMV-700) and want then somewhere more convenient and up high near eye level. Both of these mount in 2in dia holes and I plan to ask Escape to run my cables for these monitors. I will supply the proper cables.

Is there a convenient place to mount these in the 21? If I choose to put them above the fridge, do I need to remove the fridge for the install? Any other location ideas?

Thanks Much
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 21layout.pdf (274.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 07-12-2017, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
You do not have to mount that solar controller in an area that has visibility. All of your monitoring will be done with the Victron Battery Monitor. You have covered that location in your plan. The solar controller can be anywhere, however the recommendation is not more than a meter from the battery(s). It does not need to be read or viewed when you have the monitor. Similar information displays on both.

I chose to mount my controller on a mount next to the battery box. If I need to look at, I never do, I can lift the seat bench and view it. My Trimetric Battery Monitor is above the range hood using my wiring harness that Escape installed.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

Yes - my solar controller will be next to the two 6V batteries, I am just concerned with locating my battery monitor and a solar panel monitor. What is above the range hood of the current 21s? Open storage cabinet? Can a battery monitor be installed there?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I have a E-21C(classic) wires can be run from under the dinette seat to the upper cabinet behind the corner trim. The space between the door and range bulkhead is 5" wide and useable about 8" tall. I installed my AC power monitor on the other side and ran the remote panel wires up behind the corner trim to the upper cabinet. The panel lights are fairly bright and can get very busy. I mounted the remote panel in the cabinet behind the cabinet door. When I want to see what's going on with the monitor I just open the cabinet door.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
100_4471.JPG   100_4472.JPG  
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 AM   #5

Does anyone know what is involved in accessing the area above the fridge in a current Escape 21 to install a battery monitor?
Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When Escape moved the solar controller from the top of the fridge to the dinette, they suggested that I also move the prewiring for a battery monitor since there would be no way to get to the pre installed wire. I was planning to temporarily remove the solar controller to find the wire. No idea if the tank monitor (the only thing left above the fridge) is just a hole for the wire or has a larger cutout.