Escape 21 prospective owners - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Escape 21 prospective owners

We are seriously considering the Escape 21 and have a few questions.
#1. After looking at all the photos and the floor plan layout, we are wondering how wide the aisle is between the sink/stove countertop and the refrigerator/wardrobe side? Also, how long is the floor space from the dinette to the end of the bed? We can't seem to figure out from the layout drawing.
#2. For those of you that choose the standard upholstery, were you happy with your choice or would you consider a custom upholstery? For those that chose the custom, where did you go to choose your colors?
#3. We live just south of Knoxville, TN and wonder if there are any owners that would be willing to let us look at yours. We can go to Chattanooga also as it is not that far from us. We have already contacted Escape - they were able to us one name.
We appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Thanks
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
#1. To make sure, I went out to the trailer and measured - sink/stove countertop to the refrigerator/wardrobe side, 36.5" - dinette stepup to the end of the bed, 76"

#2, On the other question, I can't answer for the standard stuff as we ordered custom counter tops, fabric and flooring. We ordered our sunbrella fabric through Sailrite (https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/RV-...olstery-Fabric) as many had suggested on the forum and everything went very well.

#3. If you had posted earlier, you could have met us in Gatlinburg - we just got back from the Smokey Mountains. If you are ever in the area of Houston TX, you're welcome to see our trailer - we are very proud of it.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post

#1. After looking at all the photos and the floor plan layout, we are wondering how wide the aisle is between the sink/stove countertop and the refrigerator/wardrobe side? Also, how long is the floor space from the dinette to the end of the bed? We can't seem to figure out from the layout drawing.

#2. For those of you that choose the standard upholstery, were you happy with your choice or would you consider a custom upholstery? For those that chose the custom, where did you go to choose your colors?

#3. We live just south of Knoxville, TN and wonder if there are any owners that would be willing to let us look at yours. We can go to Chattanooga also as it is not that far from us. We have already contacted Escape - they were able to us one name.

Thanks

Hello gvwade:

We’re camping at the Lynden, WA, KOA, trialing the various trailer systems before heading home with our new E21, picked up a few days ago. Glad to answer your questions:

1) ~ 36.25 w x 75.25 L

2) Many owners enjoy selecting customized fabrics, flooring and Formica. We used sail rite.com for our fabric, although there are many potential sources. Owners commonly choose vinyl flooring from Mannington or Armstrong, sourced through Pioneer Building in Chilliwack, BC. Formica will send you samples to evaluate. They do not distribute some of their styles to Canada.

The “It’s Friday” thread will show you selections different customers have made. Pictures of our trailer can be found under the forum’s “Gallery” tab, under “trailers,” labeled “GC or Gypsy Cat”.

Best of luck with your evaluations…

Claude
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
Hello gvwade:

We’re camping at the Lynden, WA, KOA, trialing the various trailer systems before heading home with our new E21, picked up a few days ago. Glad to answer your questions:

1) ~ 36.25 w x 75.25 L

2) Many owners enjoy selecting customized fabrics, flooring and Formica. We used sail rite.com for our fabric, although there are many potential sources. Owners commonly choose vinyl flooring from Mannington or Armstrong, sourced through Pioneer Building in Chilliwack, BC. Formica will send you samples to evaluate. They do not distribute some of their styles to Canada.

The “It’s Friday” thread will show you selections different customers have made. Pictures of our trailer can be found under the forum’s “Gallery” tab, under “trailers,” labeled “GC or Gypsy Cat”.

Best of luck with your evaluations…

Claude

Remeasured width trim to trim 36 inches wide x 36.75 inches long…
Old 05-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
Remeasured width trim to trim 36 inches wide x 36.75 inches long…

Sorry, correction : 75.75 inches long
Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Choosing colors and upholstery is a very personal choice. We went with the standard/default colors and everything else, and we expect to be happy with that choice. Others will feel differently, but it's really up to you and your preference.

We did order our 21 without stickers or graphics of any kind on the exterior, another personal choice.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

The difference between all the measurements reported reminds me that these are custom hand built trailers and each one will be a "little" different. They are all within a half inch of each other but still different.

The part that is interesting is that the measurements don't depict how big the interior looks. I'm guessing because the bed and the dinette area adds to the length - it just seems huge compared to our old Casita.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
The stock colours 'work' great. I have seen some tremendous custom choices that really maked the trailer come alive though.

Personally, I would go with a slightly darker floor and get the black edge trim and call it a day.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
We love the wide aisle for when one of us is cooking and the other needs to pass by. Not problem moving back and forth while the partner is cooking (I tend to be the sous chef and do additional prep).
I was lying on the bed last week on a secret lake watching my wife sitting at the table enjoying the view and sipping coffee when I expressed how long the trailer looks end-to-end from the inside. Our previous stick built trailer was actually longer, but felt smaller due to the larger bathroom blocking off the end (and not giving us the 180 deg views our Escape 21 affords). And it wasted space with a tub we never used. Our 21's bathroom can't be described as spacious, but it works for us and doesn't waste an inch.

We have had up to 7 people sitting around our table playing games, though that is definitely crowded.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #10

Trailer: 21' Escape - 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwvwadc View Post
Thanks
ETI can provide you with a dimensioned floor plan that lists the cabinet depths and with a little math you can figure approximate dimensions.

I can't speak to the standard upholstery as we went custom and purchased from Sailrite.com.

With regard to viewing a 21', 2018 model, Martha and I will be camping at INDIAN BOUNDARY campground, CHEROKEE, TN from July 2 through July 8th and would be willing to let you take a look.

Regards - Dan
1Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I went with the standard upholstery and flooring in both a 17B for 6 years & my new 21 purchased in August. While I suspect I could have found a combination I liked better, I prefer to spend the money on additions & modifications.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:42 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
gw,
We have a 2014 21’ in the Chattanooga area (Signal Mountain) with custom fabric and countertop, and our friends Tom and Linda in Chattanooga have a 2015 21’ with stock fabric and countertop but with the u-shape dinette. I think they are home, and we will be in about three weeks. This would give some comparisons.
In addition there is a rally scheduled in October near Greeneville, TN that would give you even more to look at. Search for King of the Wild Frontier rally
Of course, look at Dan’s new one, too.
You’ll find nearly all Escape owners love to show their trailers to potential owners.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #13
AnJ

Trailer: 1974 Boler, 2018 Escape 21
Customizing Formica, fabric and flooring

We explored customizing the flooring, Formica and fabric quite extensively, as we prefer more modern grey tones. However, when we went out and visited ETI and looked in the trailers, we changed our minds. We found that a lot of the standard details in the trailers were beige- the backing on the cushions (unless you pay to have them fully wrapped, but this also means ordering and paying for double the fabric), as well as the plastic screw caps all over the trailer, including where the Formica attaches to the wall on the kitchen counter. There is also a beige liner that runs along the back of the kitchen counter that is standard. I think you can buy the materials and change them yourself, or ETI will do it for you if you supply them. In the end, we realized it would have cost us over $1500 for materials and the customization fees that Escape charges. For us, $1500 was better spent on other options, like extra insulation.
We decided that we could customize with rugs and pillows and our duvet. We did opt for a different fabric as wanted one a little easier to clean. We ordered about 30 samples of fabric total from Sailrite. We took the first batch of our samples to ETI and were surprised that our top choices didn't go as well as we thought they would with the wood, flooring and countertops- they looked a lot different in person. We ended up going back a second time once we narrowed down our colour choice. We chose a vinyl fabric, Naugahyde Universal Taupe. I believe ETI will send you samples of the wood, flooring and Formica if you want to customize one aspect.

Happy shopping!
AnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'
#2 - We are very happy with the standard upholstery in our 2015 21'. We did go with custom floors and countertops though. As others have mentioned, custom fabrics can really change the look but I wasn't willing to spend the time making another design decision.
Cmellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape Wanna Be
tdf TEXAS-hello-we live in Midlothian, TX 25 miles south of Dallas and our pickup date for our 21' is 9-13-18! Noticed your tow vehicle is a Tundra-we just purchased a 2017 Tundra 4X4 and currently working on build sheet.
-Did you purchase the E2 Fastway? Really would appreciate some advice on what I need to add onto my build sheet for this particular vehicle.
Thanks! Bobby VanWinkle
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
Did you purchase the E2 Fastway? Really would appreciate some advice on what I need to add onto my build sheet for this particular vehicle.

Hi Bobby,
Thought I would chime in on part of your questions to tdf-texas.

Our TV is a 2014 Ford F-150 4x4 w/ 3.5 EcoBoost and we pull our 2017 21’ TT with the E2 Fastway. I have been very pleased with this WDH unit and the main reason I like it is the way it levels the sag on our TV.

Thanks,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwinkp View Post
tdf TEXAS-hello-we live in Midlothian, TX 25 miles south of Dallas and our pickup date for our 21' is 9-13-18! Noticed your tow vehicle is a Tundra-we just purchased a 2017 Tundra 4X4 and currently working on build sheet.
-Did you purchase the E2 Fastway? Really would appreciate some advice on what I need to add onto my build sheet for this particular vehicle.
Thanks! Bobby VanWinkle
I purchased the Husky Centerline TS. Sorry Fred, but I feel it is a better WDH with 4 point anti-sway and cheaper to boot!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 - The Sag Waggin'
Bit of a haul but I'll be in Radford, VA june 22ish with a 2017 escape 21
turp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape Wanna Be
Thank you Fred and TDF Texas for your input!

Bobby
vanwinkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21 - "Here We Go Again"
Dan, 1Oldman,
Thanks for the invitation to view your Escape in July. We have stayed in that campground a few times as it is about 25 miles away (as the crow flies - or as I like to put it, 50 miles if you follow the pig trails). Unfortunately, we'll be away with family during that time. Enjoy your stay and watch out for bears (they do have a tendency to roam that campground) - it is a beautiful place.
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote