Escape Oven vs Toaster Oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Escape Oven vs Toaster Oven

My last major decision for the build sheet and I'm waffling! Oven or no oven? If I don't get the oven built in, I'm planning to get a toaster oven for those times I want to roast meat or veggies inside. Although I don't plan on using it everyday, I do plan to spend long periods of time traveling so it may be something I would regret not having down the road... Please share your experiences to help me make this decision. If I don't get the oven now, can it be added later?
Thanks so much!!

Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Before last year in our temp trailer we rarely ever used an oven in a trailer, even in one we had for 11 years. However, last year used it a fair bit in our temp trailer, especially during crappy weather. We are now putting one in our new 5.0 ta. There would definitely be advantages to a portable oven as it could be used outside in hot weather.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Anything can be retrofitted, but my understanding is that it's cost prohibitive to add an oven later as the cabinetry must be rebuilt. Are you considering an electric toaster oven? If so, that will be limited in use to when you're plugged into AC. The oven, on the other hand, runs off propane, same as the stove, and can be used anytime, anywhere.

We carry an electric Instant Pot, but it only gets used sporadically when we have hookups. Our next trailer will have an oven built in.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM   #4

Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
My last major decision for the build sheet and I'm waffling! Oven or no oven? If I don't get the oven built in, I'm planning to get a toaster oven for those times I want to roast meat or veggies inside. Although I don't plan on using it everyday, I do plan to spend long periods of time traveling so it may be something I would regret not having down the road... Please share your experiences to help me make this decision. If I don't get the oven now, can it be added later?
Thanks so much!!
Very major job to add it later. Get it now if you think you might want it. If nothing else, it will be a cupboard to store stuff in. Or if you are OK with a toaster oven, do that. We typically grill everything, so an oven would be rarely used. Depends on how and what you like to cook.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
Thanks so much!!

Sarah, if you have not seen it here is one that has good discussion on the first two pages.
The oven
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
You just neeed to take a look at how you cook at home. If you bake and use an oven at your house all the time, then you should get an oven in the trailer. Your trailer will then closely emulate being at home.
If ur like us and never use the oven at your house, then it would be a mistake to dedicate that space to an oven.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One thing that I believe is often overlooked, is the fact you can bake just about anything in a BBQ. We did that successfully for years from buns, to mac 'n cheese, chicken, salmon, beef roast, pies, and so on. The nice thing is you can do this outside, keeping the trailer clean and cool. The bad thing is when it is your wife doing the baking, and it is pouring rain and she does not want to go outside. This is where an oven inside is good. Happy wife, full tummy (or something like that) .
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Go with the built in. Portable still needs a place to store it when not in use, and cannot be used unless you have AC power. Built in is out of the way and can be used anytime, anyplace.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
We don't have a built in oven (on our 17B) but on our first trip, we took a a cheap toaster over we had picked up at the Sally Ann thrift shop. We also have a BBQ, which we plug in using the "Propane Quick Connect" option (a MUST in our view) . We discovered that the toaster oven used up a lot of storage and counter space and decided not to use it. If we want "Toast" in the morning or English Muffins and the like, we just use the cast iron frying pan to "toast", which we can always use on the BBQ outside if we want to roast anything (or fry anything as it does great stir fry too).

I guess its also down to camping style. If you are going to be full time RVers, an oven is probably a necessity. But if you are mainly intending to camp for fun and during (or searching for) good weather, don't worry about the oven and then decide toaster oven or not. Our toaster oven is going back to be re-gifted to the Sally Ann.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
It really depends on how much baking you plan to do & how often you camp with hookups. In my case, one of the main reasons for switching from my current 17B to a 21 I'll be picking up in the fall is a gas oven (the others are a built in microwave & a full time 4 person dinette).

I currently carry a large toaster oven (a Crusinart TOB 155) but can only use it with hookups. I do lots of dry camping, have a 1000 watt inverter that will run the microwave (which I have to dig out from under the bed each time I want to use it), but not the toaster oven. I have a propane powered Dutch oven (used with a Volcano Grill), but setting that up for a quick meal doesn't happen. While the toaster oven works great, I've had pretty poor results baking my Blueberry Pies in the Dutch oven. So, that's my story!