Expecting a 21, mid-September - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mary,
The front window option eliminates the bed headboard shelf inside, a very handy item to have while sleeping. In addition it is off center on the outside, some may see it as somewhat askewed?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The 21' is my second favorite ETI build. Love my 5er! Adding a front window to the 21' is a tough decision. Glad I didn't have to make it. Frankly, I don't see any usefulness except extra light. The only way to look out the window is to be on the bed on your hands and knees. It's too far away to see much of anything from the foot of the bed or other areas. And the visual from the front exterior just doesn't have the clean unbroken lines of the 21' without the window. And, I'm a visual person. Like I said, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape 21
We opted to do over the bed cubbies and absolutely love them! I think they were the first ones to be done. And we also added an extra wardrobe over the drawers..you can kind of see that in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
over the bed cubbies.jpg  
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tash View Post
We opted to do over the bed cubbies and absolutely love them! I think they were the first ones to be done. And we also added an extra wardrobe over the drawers..you can kind of see that in the picture.
How did you do your mattress cover? Looks very neat and tidy.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:01 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
How did you do your mattress cover? Looks very neat and tidy.
Thank you! We used customized fabric, so we ordered extra fabric for the cover and Escape made the cover for us.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Mary,

Love your fabric and formica! Great choices. I think, for me, that was one of the hardest decisions to make and I really didn't know how it would turn out until we picked up the trailer! I agree with Donna, the front window being offset would drive me crazy and inside the bed area doesn't seem as cozy. To each his own though, it's sooo much and it's all good!

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
What may be cozy to some, may be confining and claustrophobic to others. The more windows the better for someone like me. But that's what is great about Escape trailers...to each his own.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:33 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah, every bit of info I had said it would slide front to back. Thought that all u-shaped dinettes had that. My next mod will be to replace the two poles with a gas operated telescoping single pole. Gonna wait until we install Allure flooring though. That way we can cover up the mounting holes from the original pole bases.
Thanks for info on this, build should start soon for me and I was expecting table to slide front to back. Contacted ETI today to put in my preference for this option.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The 21' is my second favorite ETI build. Love my 5er! Adding a front window to the 21' is a tough decision. Glad I didn't have to make it. Frankly, I don't see any usefulness except extra light. The only way to look out the window is to be on the bed on your hands and knees. It's too far away to see much of anything from the foot of the bed or other areas. And the visual from the front exterior just doesn't have the clean unbroken lines of the 21' without the window. And, I'm a visual person. Like I said, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision.
Yes, Donna (and Jim, too) - those are all reasons we didn't think we'd bother with the front window. You (of all people) know I've never thought it a priority to have a view of the back of our tow vehicle; thus, I've always seen it as a plus that our Casita does not have a window across the front. And I like that narrow shelf at the head of the bed in the 21; seems perfect for charging a phone, stashing reading glasses for the night, etc. But now that I've seen it both ways, I find that adding daylight in the front of the 21, adjacent to the bath-closet, makes for a beautiful space. It opens up the whole room. I should've taken a picture...
Old 04-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #30

Thanks for this!

Quote:
Ah, the cubbies do look good - thanks for posting the pic. I see that you have a stooge table on your drawer stack, which looks important since you added the extra wardrobe.

Huge disappointment for us is the size of the mickeywave cabinet. I had wanted to use the oven we already have in that space - but there is no way it will fit.. I wonder if moving the wardrobe to the drawer stack would give us a different option for configuring a better (bigger) cabinet for the microwave... One reason I like the one we have is we leave it at home when we'll be off the grid.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Huge disappointment for us is the size of the mickeywave cabinet. I had wanted to use the oven we already have in that space - but there is no way it will fit.. I wonder if moving the wardrobe to the drawer stack would give us a different option for configuring a better (bigger) cabinet for the microwave... One reason I like the one we have is we leave it at home when we'll be off the grid.

Been there, fretted about that. The 'extra microwave' here was a house model and huge. It was however "paid for".... I bit the bullet and got the ETI supplied one. Best $80 I spent, as it is darn near the equal (heating time wise) of the monster that is in my closet.

I would strongly suggest not trying to shoe horn your existing one in. I find there is precious little storage (in the high traffic areas) now.

Four screws are all that retain the microwave, so leaving it at home should not be a problem.

ymmv

Now to go throw last minute stuff in truck and hit the way indirect road towards the rally.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #32

The other thing about the front window (in the interest of full disclosure, ha ha) is it's tempered, not thermal, glass. Apparently, it will sweat, a la the way Casita windows (frequently) look of a morning. There are ways to remedy that somewhat.

Knowing all that, I'm still smitten with that light - so you can see I'm hopeless.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM   #33

Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Been there, fretted about that. The 'extra microwave' here was a house model and huge. It was however "paid for".... I bit the bullet and got the ETI supplied one. Best $80 I spent, as it is darn near the equal (heating time wise) of the monster that is in my closet.

I would strongly suggest not trying to shoe horn your existing one in. I find there is precious little storage (in the high traffic areas) now.

Four screws are all that retain the microwave, so leaving it at home should not be a problem.

ymmv

Now to go throw last minute stuff in truck and hit the way indirect road towards the rally.
Thanks, Bruce. That's good to know. Marlene did comment on how powerful theirs is... and I do like the countertop on that drawer stack, especially if we don't have the shelf or cubbies across the head of the bed.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We decided that we do not want a front window. It is a sleeping area so we do not want more light. There is a big window next to the bed already. The window would not be thermal, as you mentioned. Also, it used to be that there was a big problem with water getting into a front window. That does seem fixed but I recall a 19' owner reporting a lot of water under his rock shield. We did not get any under our rock shield but he was getting plenty. If we wanted more light, it would be at the dinette area, but that area has plenty of light.

You have seen what you have seen with a window so if you really like it, might as well get it!
We saw Cheryl's with the great cubbies overhead so we are looking at that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Cheryl, we did not look closely at your cubbies. Is that all open area behind the dividers we see or is the useable area only within the white spaces we are seeing? Your cubbies looked so great!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Wife thought she wanted window from having a 17B. Thankfully Tammy pointed out the fact there is a large window there already, that it would be warmer plus have a shelf. We saw one recently with window and to me it makes the area look smaller.

The thermal pane windows in our experience aren't much different with condensation than the standard ones on our 17B, and in fact we originally had the standard windows on our build sheet. Due to half of them being backordered we went with thermals and they do open easier and are quieter. The thermal value is almost nil vs. standard windows. No air between panes so it is essentially two plates of glass stacked together.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
No air between panes so it is essentially two plates of glass stacked together.
A vacuum space does have some insulating value, I believe.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Actually there is air between the glass panes in sealed units. When they are made you use either an aluminum frame filled with desiccant or Superspacer which also contains desiccant then seal the 2 panes and frame together with butyl or polysulphide sealant. I believe the RV ones that ETI uses are about 3/16" airspace (between panes) from what I remember. Single pane windows would have an R value of less then 1, add even a small airspace and that will more then double, add a larger airspace and a low E coating with argon gas between the panes and you could increase the R value up to about 4.

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Hi, all. We are working on our build sheet for our soon to be Escape 21. Build date is Sept. 14, 2015. Other commitments between now and then make the timing perfect for us. We plan to fetch it ourselves and attend the Fall NOG before heading back to central Texas.

Meanwhile, we've viewed a couple of 21's, as well as a couple of 5.0 TA's - in fact today we made a quick trip over to the Bluebonnet Rally (a.k.a. The Blueb) in Bandera, Texas. The rally doesn't begin until tomorrow, but Tammy and Reace and Dennis and Marlene are already there. It was great to meet them and discuss a few aspects of the soon to be. (Wish I had a cool name for it, but as yet I do not.) Rob & Robbie are also already there, and their very nicely appointed 21 changed our minds about several details on the build sheet. Thank you, Robbie & Rob! It was very good to hear their "what we especially like" and "what we wish we'd done differently" comments... I can tell we are going to love our new trailer!
Mary,
With you being an experienced camper, you may not need much advice, but my favorite accessory is the 1500W inverter wired to all our house receptacles. We have inverters in all our cars, and would have added one to our 21' if ETI didn't offer one. I love the flexibility it offers. Microwave and toaster do fine on it, one at a time of course. And then there is the TV or radio that some don't care for, but I do.
This is probably a minority view, but I love having one.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Actually there is air between the glass panes in sealed units. When they are made you use either an aluminum frame filled with desiccant or Superspacer which also contains desiccant then seal the 2 panes and frame together with butyl or polysulphide sealant. I believe the RV ones that ETI uses are about 3/16" airspace (between panes) from what I remember. Single pane windows would have an R value of less then 1, add even a small airspace and that will more then double, add a larger airspace and a low E coating with argon gas between the panes and you could increase the R value up to about 4.

Cheers
Doug
Not what I heard from Hehr when I had thw rusty window screws problem. I basically quoted the rep who had 30 years in the business. Hehr was one of the last to get into thermal windows in the rv biz and was primarily due to competition. They dont add any significant r-value over the single pane.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote