Extra Insulation Option - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I wonder if anyone has had carpeting cut to fit wall to wall, and just put it down as a throw rug? If the edges wouldn't curl up, it could be a solution to keep feet warmer and not be a huge pain if it got stained or dirty.

Since I have occasional kid (dirty feet) traffic, I get those washable $9.99 runners at Costco.
Yes, posted some time ago here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post29826
These have an insulated back and do more than the under spray. Individual tiles can be picked up do cleaning. 1/4 inch left in front of the screen track.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Yes, posted some time ago here
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post29826
These have an insulated back and do more than the under spray. Individual tiles can be picked up do cleaning. 1/4 inch left in front of the screen track.
Very nice mod . Will use the tiles in future .Right now using the carpet we have . Sure does a good job keeping us warm though . We vacuum and really don't have curling or other problems . We have 3 little dogs and grandchildren also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I shoud be finishing up today and will start a thread on installing it. All will be revealed. Why didn't I do this mod in the warm summertime.

We've always used throw rugs but the R value of them is low. R-10 underneath should make much more of a difference. Agree not having full time carpet. Much easier to shake out the carpets and give the vinyl a wipe down.

Ron
"Ding Dong the witch is dead..."

That picture cracked me up. Looking forward to your write-up, TIA.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Are you using the foam tiles or the carpet tiles? Any problems with height of tiles at the doorway?
We are using various tiles, all with foam layer. Some with and some without the thin carpet layer on top.
They are the 3/8" thick ones and 24"x24" square, interlocking.
The carpet version I have has a very thin carpet like fabric glued to the top of the foam. See attached photo.

We initially started using the plain tiles as padding for items that we transported on the floor of the trailer, like a storage box for Weber Q BBQ and plastic storage bins. They protected the fronts of the cabinets from damage while traveling. It was by chance that we left them on the floor one day and discovered the benefit of the cushion effect and feeling of warmth on the cold floor.

We just place them up to the screen door track so no issue there.
We do not cover the entire floor, but in our 15'A, 2 1/2 tiles covers most of the isle and doorway area.

As previously mentioned, the other reason for taking the tiles along was to place on the ground for when we used the exterior shower. Baglo uses his vehicle floor mats to accomplish the same thing when using the outdoor shower.

Not sure what the R factor of the tiles would be but they do make the floor feel warmer when you step down with bare feet. Feeling is believing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6315r.jpg  
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Those tiles would work great for adding comfort for the feet. I know the cork I had in my 19 did the same trick, where your feet would warm up right away when you stepped on it.

Just like the rigid foam seat in our outhouse, warmth the minute your cheeks touch it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:35 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
We use these type of tiles on the floor. Soft, warm, light weight, interlocking, multi purpose, inexpensive, easy to clean, available almost anywhere. We also us them to put on the ground when using the outside shower to keep feet off the ground and prevent dirt spatter. Lots of colour options, easy to cut to desired shape, some have a carpeted top.

Interlocking Foam Tiles and Soft Tile Flooring

Hope the link works?
The link works. They even have some wood-look ones!
Because of the "animal nails" warning, I don't know if it would work for a lot of people. I had forgotten about the carpet tiles.