Extra Insulation Option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Trailer: Tent
Extra Insulation Option

What all is included with this option? Are they still using Reflectix for the extra insulation? Reading reports that Reflectix only provides a R-1 thermal resistance. Seems like there are better products out there and Reflectix isn't worth the labor to install it.

I plan on ordering a 2017 and camp a lot in cold weather, insulation will be important to my build.
Kenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I imagine Reace would like to find something better than Reflectix, but the reality is that any type of insulation needs thickness to gain R value. Even closed cell rigid foam insulation is only R-5 per inch, so if it was as thin as Reflectix it would be barely anymore than R-1. It comes down to how much interior space one is willing to lose for more insulation value.

Reace has also said this: However, the 21' Escape and the NEW Escape 5.0 Tandem Axle Fifth Wheel, we do not line the ceiling with Reflectix, we use a honeycomb material in the fiberglass process which strengthens the roof and provides additional insulation.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The thermopane windows may do more to lower the heat loss / condensation issues than a single layer of reflectix. If you pump enough heat into any area you can warm it up. We have camped at -17 F , ran the propane furnace , the electric heat strip and an electric blanket .
Shoes still froze on the floor but you can survive.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Despite the mere R1 or whatever, there are those who have had the "insulation" of other fiberglass brands and say that an Escape's insulation is far better. You can add the foam spray underneath also. One thing insulation needs is an air layer and that adds a great deal (do not believe there is such a layer in an Escape though.) The insulation still seems to do a good bit.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm no fan of the bare reflectix in the lockers and under the bed. I was laying on the floor by the converter panel doing a mod the other day. My hand was close to the floor by the panel. I was amazed at the cold draft coming out of the locker.

I'd like to cover the exposed reflectix in the lockers and under the bed with the foam backed vinyl. The almost zero value reflectix under the bed could be part of the problem that some have reported with condensation around the edge of the mattress.

I'm currently installing 2" R-10, closed cell foam under the front half of the trailer. When it's done I'm going to scan the floor and measure the difference between the front and rear areas.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm no fan of the bare reflectix in the lockers and under the bed. I was laying on the floor by the converter panel doing a mod the other day. My hand was close to the floor by the panel. I was amazed at the cold draft coming out of the locker.

I'd like to cover the exposed reflectix in the lockers and under the bed with the foam backed vinyl. The almost zero value reflectix under the bed could be part of the problem that some have reported with condensation around the edge of the mattress.

I'm currently installing 2" R-10, closed cell foam under the front half of the trailer. When it's done I'm going to scan the floor and measure the difference between the front and rear areas.

Ron
Ron do you have the spray foam under trailer ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:12 AM   #7

No, it's not an option I wanted. Among the reasons was knowing that I'd be running wires etc. along the frame. I'll be happy if the part of the floor that I walk on is insulated and warmer.

Ron
Old 01-18-2016, 12:24 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Rugs work

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Ron - how are you attaching the rigid foam to the underside of the trailer?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No, it's not an option I wanted. Among the reasons was knowing that I'd be running wires etc. along the frame. I'll be happy if the part of the floor that I walk on is insulated and warmer.

Ron
Ron what about carpet or carpet squares . We did the foam but still put carpet down . Nothing attached , easy to remove . Really helps . Hate to get out of bed to cold floor especially the older we get . I am sure you will figure something out . PAt
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a couple of 2'X3' carpets, one by the door & one in front of the bed. Before you carpet the entire floor, talk to some off the Casita owners that have carpeted floors. Many wish they had vinyl. The small carpets are easy to pick up & shake out. Mine are backed so they don't slide.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
When we were looking at the Casitas, carpet was standard and vinyl was an option. On our Escape we have all of the insulation options including the tank heat pads. And rugs make it comfortable on the bare feet. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I have a couple of 2'X3' carpets, one by the door & one in front of the bed. Before you carpet the entire floor, talk to some off the Casita owners that have carpeted floors. Many wish they had vinyl. The small carpets are easy to pick up & shake out. Mine are backed so they don't slide.
Hi Jon . Always have put carpet in our RV's including a tent trailer . Wall to wall , they don't slide . We keep them clean and replace when needed. Sometimes have put padding underneath , sometimes like in Escape just the carpet . At door have a mat also . Pat
Old 01-18-2016, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Ron - how are you attaching the rigid foam to the underside of the trailer?
I shoud be finishing up today and will start a thread on installing it. All will be revealed. Why didn't I do this mod in the warm summertime.

We've always used throw rugs but the R value of them is low. R-10 underneath should make much more of a difference. Agree not having full time carpet. Much easier to shake out the carpets and give the vinyl a wipe down.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
17-01-2016 4-05-49 PM01_resize.jpg   17-01-2016 4-06-17 PM03_resize.jpg  
Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #15

Heat Loss

The heat loss of a structure is based on many things.
One of the most significant is the inside design temperature versus the outdoor design temperature ( maximum low temp 97% of the time and degree days) The R1 insulation will have an effect if the temperature difference between the inside and outside is 20, 30 or 40 degrees F. When the difference is 50 ,60 ,70 ,80, 90 or 100 degrees F , R1 insulation has little effect. There is no practical way to make an Escape a 4 season trailer suitable for all of North America. The insulation options on an Escape make it a good 3 season trailer for most of North America.

Our cabin in NW Wisconsin has R 35 walls / floors and R 60 ceilings in an area with an outside design temp of -25 deg F and over 9000 deg days. When wind chills approach 40 to 50 below , we struggle to maintain an inside temp of 65 deg F . If we had R1 insulation , the building would freeze up.

Even with all the insulation packages / heat pads that Escape offers an Escape in my area is at best a 3 season trailer IMHO. Plus ,why would anyone want to camp at -30 deg F or C?
Old 01-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
I wonder if anyone has had carpeting cut to fit wall to wall, and just put it down as a throw rug? If the edges wouldn't curl up, it could be a solution to keep feet warmer and not be a huge pain if it got stained or dirty.

Since I have occasional kid (dirty feet) traffic, I get those washable $9.99 runners at Costco.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 15A
We use these type of tiles on the floor. Soft, warm, light weight, interlocking, multi purpose, inexpensive, easy to clean, available almost anywhere. We also us them to put on the ground when using the outside shower to keep feet off the ground and prevent dirt spatter. Lots of colour options, easy to cut to desired shape, some have a carpeted top.

Interlocking Foam Tiles and Soft Tile Flooring

Hope the link works?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The heat loss of a structure is based on many things.
One of the most significant is the inside design temperature versus the outdoor design temperature ( maximum low temp 97% of the time and degree days) The R1 insulation will have an effect if the temperature difference between the inside and outside is 20, 30 or 40 degrees F. When the difference is 50 ,60 ,70 ,80, 90 or 100 degrees F , R1 insulation has little effect. There is no practical way to make an Escape a 4 season trailer suitable for all of North America. The insulation options on an Escape make it a good 3 season trailer for most of North America.

Our cabin in NW Wisconsin has R 35 walls / floors and R 60 ceilings in an area with an outside design temp of -25 deg F and over 9000 deg days. When wind chills approach 40 to 50 below , we struggle to maintain an inside temp of 65 deg F . If we had R1 insulation , the building would freeze up.

Even with all the insulation packages / heat pads that Escape offers an Escape in my area is at best a 3 season trailer IMHO. Plus ,why would anyone want to camp at -30 deg F or C?
I always thought "wind chill" was a nebulous number which only applies to the feeling on bare skin when exposed to cold and wind. Inanimate objects like your trailer or home are not affected by wind chill numbers.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought "wind chill" was a nebulous number which only applies to the feeling on bare skin when exposed to cold and wind. Inanimate objects like your trailer or home are not affected by wind chill numbers.
I agree that wind chill affects bare skin. .Last week we had 26 below F with 40 below wind chills. The higher wind speeds affect the buildings infiltration rate . I E cold air enters around , windows+
doors,+ wall openings. Heating calculations do not allow for wind chill but they do make allowances for infiltration or air changes per hour. Most trailer's have many openings in their exterior that are not sealed . In our Scamp you could see the window coverings move when the winds were strong even with the windows closed.
If the trailer has warm air constantly being replaced by cold air through infiltration it takes more heat to maintain temp.
Sit underneath a leaky window when it's 25 below with high winds and you will feel the wind chill affect
Old 01-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #20

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
We use these type of tiles on the floor. Soft, warm, light weight, interlocking, multi purpose, inexpensive, easy to clean, available almost anywhere. We also us them to put on the ground when using the outside shower to keep feet off the ground and prevent dirt spatter. Lots of colour options, easy to cut to desired shape, some have a carpeted top.

Interlocking Foam Tiles and Soft Tile Flooring

Hope the link works?

Are you using the foam tiles or the carpet tiles? Any problems with height of tiles at the doorway?
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote