Fabrics and Formica - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Follow any of the all-molded towable forums, you'll find replacement for foam and fabrics can cost (easily) $1,500.

Those on the Casita Forum KNOW where Casita manufacturing has the upholstery work done. IF you're a new Casita buyer and want custom upholstery work done... go ahead. You get ZERO credit from Casita.

Grateful Ten Forward has MY custom upholstery and it cost me $100 plus the cost of the upholstery. SWEET!

BTW: upholstery (the good stuff) patterns are typically only good for a YEAR, then they're discontinued. I Found THAT out.

When I ordered the fabric for Ten Forward, I ordered 20 YARDS, waaay more than needed. But, I love it and expect to love it ten years + from now and if something needs to be replaced, I'm ready...

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-pad View Post
Well, Escape wants $626.50 for new cushions and covers, which I feel is pricey.
As a reference, I just bought foam cushions for a Trillium 1300, and the foam alone was nearly $400. For them to sew was $60 per cushion, plus fabric costs. We had the fabric gifted, and my daughter is sewing the covers, to save some money. If we paid for it all, it would have been a lot more than you were quoted, for a much smaller trailer.

All prices quoted in Canadian pesos.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As a reference, I just bought foam cushions for a Trillium 1300, and the foam alone was nearly $400. For them to sew was $60 per cushion, plus fabric costs. We had the fabric gifted, and my daughter is sewing the covers, to save some money. If we paid for it all, it would have been a lot more than you were quoted, for a much smaller trailer.

All prices quoted in Canadian pesos.
I would agree. We just ordered some new cushions for our patio chairs because the squirrels have done their damage over the years. For 6 cushions in a medium grade fabric, the charge was $600, and that doesn't include shipping. If you haven't shopped for upholstery in the last 5-10 years or so, it can get very expensive, very quickly. I think $626 CAD ($494 USD at the current rate) is a very reasonable price to replace all the cushions in an Escape. Also, the upholstery shop they use does decent work, and you know they'll fit exactly.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Just bought some 4" foam for "Il Dude"(our son). Same as we used for our mattress foundation. Comes from Texas; price for a 54"X 80" is $300.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:13 AM   #35

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
I did throw my covers in the washer (and dryer for very short time)) this spring---we have a 2008 trailer and they came out really really well....
I had been (hoping?) for new covers---but alas they stayed very well intact!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:18 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
I did throw my covers in the washer (and dryer for very short time)) this spring---we have a 2008 trailer and they came out really really well....
I had been (hoping?) for new covers---but alas they stayed very well intact!
That was brave of you --- except for the fact that you wanted new covers. . You can always do them again!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:19 AM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
BTW: upholstery (the good stuff) patterns are typically only good for a YEAR, then they're discontinued. I Found THAT out.
Oooo, good to know! I'll keep this in mind as I found the fabric I want and knowing my luck ....
Old 07-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #38

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
(snip) OMG, I can't believe the mistake I would have made if I didn't get bigger sizes of Formica and that bigger piece of fabric. (I bought a yard on eBay).
I know this is an older comment, but I just took it to heart. I ordered a yard of the fabric I really like off ebay. That way I can fling it around and see what it looks like in different lighting situations and flop on it to see how it feels. AND compare it to the patterned fabric I want pillow covers made from (with cats, of course).

Here's what I got:

Sunbrella 58012-0000 Volt Berry 54" Upholstery Fabric

Can't wait!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
That was brave of you --- except for the fact that you wanted new covers. . You can always do them again!
Just a sideways comment:

I lived and traveled with large dog on my sailboat for 14 years (pre training for an Escape) and had Sunbrella frabric for the upholstery. After a typical 9 - 10 month cruise the cushions would be looking decidedly scroungy .... but the large machines in a laundry mat would work their magic. They would come out looking like new year after year... it was amazing. Spilt wine, muddy dog feet, fish blood (cockpit cushions), extreme UV exposure and all other stains weren't able to stay ... they all washed out.

I'm really sold on that fabric and have ordered it for my new 17A.

Tom
Old 07-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #40

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016... 2016 Escape 19.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Just a sideways comment:

I lived and traveled with large dog on my sailboat for 14 years (pre training for an Escape) and had Sunbrella frabric for the upholstery. After a typical 9 - 10 month cruise the cushions would be looking decidedly scroungy .... but the large machines in a laundry mat would work their magic. They would come out looking like new year after year... it was amazing. Spilt wine, muddy dog feet, fish blood (cockpit cushions), extreme UV exposure and all other stains weren't able to stay ... they all washed out.

I'm really sold on that fabric and have ordered it for my new 17A.

Tom
Wow. What a testimonial. Ok, I'm convinced. Thanks for that info.

sallemann is offline   Reply With Quote