Favourite Escape option, aftermarket accessory, prewire, and mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
Favourite Escape option, aftermarket accessory, prewire, and mod

Many of us waiting for our Escapes to be built have done little or no trailer towing and camping, so it's difficult to be certain which options and accessories will actually make our experience safer, more convenient, and more enjoyable.

To assist the newcomers on this forum, could experienced Escape owners please identify any or all of these four things to help us decide what we might truly need:

1. Which Escape factory option are you happiest you included in your build list?

2. What is the most satisfying aftermarket accessory you have added to your Escape?

3. What is the most important accessory to prewire or prep the trailer for during the build, just in case you decide to add it later?

4. If you have done modifications to your trailer, what is the best one?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't have an Escape either, but have camped lots in my Scamp. My very favorite is really an accessory.. and that's my Lafuma lounge chair. Over the years, I've found there are three things I absolutely need to enjoy a camping trip. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit... inside and outside. Everything else is gravy. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't have an Escape either, but have camped lots in my Scamp. My very favorite is really an accessory.. and that's my Lafuma lounge chair. Over the years, I've found there are three things I absolutely need to enjoy a camping trip. A comfortable place to sleep and a comfortable place to sit... inside and outside. Everything else is gravy. YMMV
You don't use the LaFuma inside do you?
Old 03-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
1. Which Escape factory option are you happiest you included in your build list? Air Conditioner! There are other things that are not on the Options list, and I suggest that you peruse the forum for ideas.

2. What is the most satisfying aftermarket accessory you have added to your Escape? Memory Foam mattress topper. Other Accessory: B.A. L. Leveler (But I'm about to buy the Andersen one.)

3. What is the most important accessory to prewire or prep the trailer for during the build, just in case you decide to add it later? Constant rearview camera to keep an eye on traffic. There are some battery/cigarette lighter powered hitch cameras that can be purchased. Jon had the best and has both wired.

Welcome and have fun!
Old 03-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchlight View Post
Many of us waiting for our Escapes to be built have done little or no trailer towing and camping, so it's difficult to be certain which options and accessories will actually make our experience safer, more convenient, and more enjoyable.

To assist the newcomers on this forum, could experienced Escape owners please identify any or all of these four things to help us decide what we might truly need:

1. Which Escape factory option are you happiest you included in your build list?

2. What is the most satisfying aftermarket accessory you have added to your Escape?

3. What is the most important accessory to prewire or prep the trailer for during the build, just in case you decide to add it later?

Thanks!
Here are my favorite options.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...ions-2556.html

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
>1. Four dresser drawers in our cabinet.
>2. refrigerator temperature monitor
>3. prewire electronic thermostat for heat and air conditioning.
>4. stove top ignition
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You don't use the LaFuma inside do you?
I could!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape
I would spin this thread just a bit to "If you had to do it all over again...what would you change?" For me: 1) No AC...too noisy in my 19; 2) No quick disconnect exterior gas outlet...we just don't use it (sorry Ice-Breaker); 3) Install a roof mount TV antenna...the small hang on the wall ones just don't work; 4) Have more inverter and 12 sockets placed; and 5) We didn't need a window in the bathroom. Our "gotta have it again" items (for a 19)...solar package, front storage box, insulation packages, surge protector, LED lights, and a 1.5" foam mattress pad from Walmart. Our one "wish there really was one" item would be a refrigerator that worked when it was hot outside...because they just don't. The beauty of ETI is that everyone's likes and dislikes (for the most part) can be accommodated.
lefttee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:38 PM   #9

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefttee View Post
Our one "wish there really was one" item would be a refrigerator that worked when it was hot outside...because they just don't. .
Do you have the "Texas Fans" installed? been wondering if this option helps with fridge performance in hot weather.
cargofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

We haven't tried them yet but I'm skeptical. There are several discussions of the issue scattered around the forum.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:07 AM   #11

FWIW, I just found this:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ator-3087.html
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Front storage box, solar, custom counter top.

Portable propane camp fire pit, Camp Chef Everest stove.

AC, Solar, TV.

The only one so far is the EMS-HW30C power protection. It wasn't a difficult installation but I would probably have ETI do it if I was to order again. I plan on doing some of the mod ideas from forum members this summer. I also converted all lights to LED.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
1. Storage box, custom laminate, custom vinyl.
2. From others' suggestions on this forum, a propane modification to allow for the use of a regular Coleman camp stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert Propane Modification.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Tough question. As far as the build goes, everything that Dave posted in his link. Also, we are very glad we got the extra insulation, thermal windows and the standard pedestal table.

Since camping season is just kicking off I'm sure there will be more mods, although we like to keep it simple. Mods so far: added a bed lift. Took Dave a lot of tweaking to get it in but it holds the mattress and lid open - love it! Added a coat hook by the door, and hooks inside the closet door as well as some organizers. Have fun!

Kathie

HatchLift | Hatch Hinges | RV Hatch Lifts | Lift Hatch | Hatch Lift Supports
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Quote:
With our T@B, we like carrying a small carpet remnant for use in front of the trailer and under the tarp (5x7, 6x8). It does a surprisingly good job of keeping dirt and dust down and can be hosed down when needed. It also doubles as a dog bed when we are outside.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
We really like this light, easy to clean up mat from CampingWorld Aero-Weave Breathable Outdoor Mat - SeaScape, 6' x 15' - Prest-O-Fit 2-3000 - Patio Mats - Camping World

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Mods so far: added a bed lift. Took Dave a lot of tweaking to get it in but it holds the mattress and lid open - love it!

You are not allowed to tell us about a modification without showing us pictures, you know the rules……
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Mods so far: added a bed lift. Took Dave a lot of tweaking to get it in but it holds the mattress and lid open - love it!

You are not allowed to tell us about a modification without showing us pictures, you know the rules……
Coming up ....
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

1. The extra insulation and dual glazed windows.

2. Beer in the fridge. Red wine, Scotch, and dark rum in the pantry.

3. Nothing I can think of, though we are not very reliant on electricity. I think A/C prewiring is standard, even if you don't get it.

5. Probably the new cork floor, followed by a larger access panel. My wifes favourite by far (and one that got me a few brownie points) is the LED strip lighting in all the cupboards.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21--FOR SALE
My inlaws had a cork floor in the kitchen of their home, and we wondered if it would be a suitable flooring material for our Escape. Now we know.

It seems soft to walk on, and has very good insulating qualities.