Fiamma vs Dometic Awning - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I really don't understand why you (and a few others) do not wish to accept decisions made by Escape, yet seem interested in buying their product.
I didn't say I'm NOT accepting their decisions. I'm just questioning why the other person (who has since responded, if it's the person I'm thinking of) wanted to know about using that brand. It's easier to ask in a separate thread instead of buried within the thread on the 19 or 17 trailer (forget where it was). That type of awning does apply to other size trailers, I would assume.

I like the fact it's used by those hauling their rigs all over the world and rough country. Gotta check up on that link - thanks for that. I've seen some of the rigs those folks use (via web pages) - awesome rigs! Gotta admire that type of person that does all that. What an adventure!

It's also nice to know about other brands - not necessarily to replace what's on there when I pick it up from the factory. But for later on if/when the Dometic needs replacing.

Thanks Nathan for posting about your experiences with that brand.

And yeah, everyone uses their trailers differently. I will not be ashamed to say that I'm going out glamping with mine. I seriously doubt I'll be sitting in the desert for months on end, digging a hole for my poo and emptying my portable poo-mobile in that hole. But, if you wanna do that, fine by me. I'll just wave at you from my sewer hookup when you drive by. And toast you with my big glass of cold water.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #12

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I was wondering if ETI would swap with the Fiamma F45, because we had it on our Casita and I thought it was well made and easy to use when used correctly. I'm kind of leery of something that is electrically operated that's all. KISS.
Jerry and Maria

jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think I would ask Reace if he would substitute the Fiamma for the Dometic.

If he said no, I think I would ask Reace what the price would be for delivering the trailer WITHOUT an awning.

Then I would make a decision on what to do, knowing that I would have to install the awning I wanted on my own.
2007 Norwegian Elkhound "Baxter"
santacruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I think I would ask Reace if he would substitute the Fiamma for the Dometic.

If he said no, I think I would ask Reace what the price would be for delivering the trailer WITHOUT an awning.

Then I would make a decision on what to do, knowing that I would have to install the awning I wanted on my own.
Well put, it is great to hear a bit of common sense being used in regards to this matter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Flatlandreader and I have been following the ups and downs of this discussion with interest.

I appreciate the technology of the new electric awning. I have some confidence that ETI would not choose a flimsy product for incorporation in their trailers ... it seems pretty improbable that Reece would entirely lose his well-demonstrated judgement over this one trailer item. Probably lots of compromises involved ...

The issue we have is that Saskatchewan can have a mosquito problem for 13 months of the year. Camping can be miserable at times of the day between midnight and 11:59 pm, depending on wind, location, phase of the moon, etc. The older awning had options for a screen room, which was a very high priority for us.

So, I will be following with interest as data comes together on the option of "not" getting an awning, and doing a subsequent installation of an awning that can support a screen room.

As an alternative, we could stick with our el cheapo Walmart screened gazebo ... or perhaps spend some more money and get something that might last more than one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
My .02$ worth, the Fiamma awning is not waterproof, in that water and dampness gets inside the case and just like the old stock awning, will require routine cleaning. I believe the Dometic awning has a cleaning brush to clean the awning clean upon closure. They also show the add a room additions in use with the Dometic. Finally, as I mentioned before, until told otherwise I have to believe that the awning will be Dometic, perhaps a electric or manual operation, but still Dometic.
Try to order an Airstream without the awning and see how far you get with your purchase, some things are just not done.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well put, it is great to hear a bit of common sense being used in regards to this matter.
Certainly an effective way to determine ETI's position on awnings. Unfortunately it does not address the OP's origional request for information. And by the way who cares where the OP chose to ask for some feedback on this subject? Maybe some see it as a fit and some don't. What wears thin with me is people who are compelled to comment on most every post. Is there some kind of a contest for who has the most posts on this forum. If for any reason you're not happy with an individual post or it's location why not just move on to another post. Chances are we can all find a post on this forum where we can share our experience or expertise in a way that's beneficial to other members. I think that's the key to success the escape forum consistently generates.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 19 ft. Feb 21 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They also show the add a room additions in use with the Dometic. Finally, as I mentioned before, until told otherwise I have to believe that the awning will be Dometic, perhaps a electric or manual operation, but still Dometic..
I'm not clear about the screen room compatibility. I emailed Dometic customer service and the carefully worded response was " 9500 power case awning is not approved to have the Veranda Room attached to it." On the plus side, the awning comes in 6 different colours/patterns which Escape might be able to supply for those of us who like colours!
flatlandreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #19
Tin

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandreader View Post
I'm not clear about the screen room compatibility. I emailed Dometic customer service and the carefully worded response was " 9500 power case awning is not approved to have the Veranda Room attached to it." On the plus side, the awning comes in 6 different colours/patterns which Escape might be able to supply for those of us who like colours!
Lol that is a funny way of putting it. It looks like it will work with the 9100.

Veranda Room & Veranda Shade. The Dometic Veranda Room makes your RV patio awning into a comfortable screened-in enclosure free from flying insects, and increases your living space. Thanks to the NEW patent pending connection system, setup is fast and simple, and the Veranda Room can now be installed on the Dometic 9100 Power Awning in addition to the traditional manual awnings. The Veranda Room starter set includes both end-panels, one three-foot door panel, skirting, wheel-well cover, hardware kit, and zippered storage bag; additional front panels are available in various lengths to fit to any awning size. Or, reduce the sun intensity by more than 50 percent with the simple-setup Veranda Shade, which comes in a kit with all tie downs and stakes in 54-inch heights and 10- and 15-foot lengths.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #20
Tin

Trailer: NA
Yikes, just googled the Dometic 9100 Power Awning! I am starting to get a since that Dometic might have some serious costumer issues. Has anyone here ever had to deal with dometic before ?
http://http://forums.goodsamclub.com...d/27097704.cfm

Tin is offline   Reply With Quote