Fiamma vs Dometic Awning - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Fiamma vs Dometic Awning

Decided to ask this question as a new thread as I've kind of lost track of which thread the Fiamma awning was originally mentioned on.

I briefly looked at their site last night and their products look nice. But, I'm not an awning expert, so what do I know? Therefore the following questions:

1. For the person that first mentioned wanting this brand of awning (or anyone else familiar with it, I guess) - why do you want this one over the Dometic?

Yes, I did watch the Dometic video and read some horror stories on other forums and even posted about them here when the brand was first mentioned by ETI. I have not done the same research (yet) on the Fiamma.

2. Would the Fiamma fit in the molded-in spot that ETI made for the Dometic awning? I'm thinking it will due to Jim Bennett's post about how Reace hadn't decided which awning to go with when he was there recently.

3. What advantage of the Fiamma over the Dometic (kind of similar to #1, I guess)?

4. I see that the Fiamma has attachable walls and screens - that's kind of cool. However, what happens when the wind picks up? Do you have to tear all that down right away? Same with rain?

5. Have the Fiamma awnings been produced (and used in real world situations) longer than the Dometic ETI is getting? Therefore there's more confidence in them?

And any other comments/thoughts/theories/whatever I might have forgotten to ask about, please include them in your replies as I'm trying to learn more about what's what with the awnings.

Thanks much!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Seeing that Escape has made a decision on which awning to go with, this discussion (at least to me) seems moot.

Do you know for sure that Escape will sell a trailer without the awning they chose to use, to allow a customer to install something different?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I generally agree with Jim on this: there might not be much point in exploring the alternatives which Reace has presumably already considered.

If this is of interest, a next step might be to understand what product is being considered. Fiamma has a much narrower range of awning products than Dometic, but they do have one (F45eagle) which is essentially the same as the Dometic 9500 chosen by Escape - I see no point in considering that, as it would have the same concerns (and advantages) over other types as the Dometic equivalent.

All of the description and technical information needed (including the height of the mounting space required) is available from the Fiamma Wall Winch Awnings site (ignoring the F45eagle and VW-specific products).

Having read through the manual for one of these Fiamma awnings, it appears to be essentially the same as the Dometic 9500, but with arms which are not strong enough to hold the awning up while extended, so support legs must be used every time. I don't see an advantage over the Dometic with the optional legs (except that the feet of the Fiamma legs can sit in brackets on the RV or on the ground, while the Dometic ones only go to the ground), and I would certainly prefer the option of not having to deal with legs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
No I don't, but what's wrong with wondering about things and asking questions. Or are we not allowed to do that on this forum? Especially if it goes against any decisions made by ETI?

And I'm really curious why the person that asked about it earlier really wanted it.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
We had the Fiamma 45 awning on our Casita, and to me, it looks very similar to the Dometic awning they chose to go with, other than it's completely different. It worked very well. The legs aren't what I call robust, but staked down, they were stable. We had some pretty gusty winds come up and it handled it well. It also could be angled to easily shed water.

I think Jim, that there might be some people wanting to find out if it would be a suitable substitute to the Dometic IF Escape will allow the trailer to be sold without their awning. I guess until Reace says it's not going to happen, people will be curious.

Heck, look at the "Wiring" thread and people sharing their disappointment with the way their wiring was done. Reace chimed in and not only apologized, but showed how much better things are done now. I think there is some merit to voicing reservations, not only for other people's consideration but also so Escape gets feedback pro or con. They can use that information however they choose.

I know I may be stating what other people already have, but I wonder what benefit there is to the "I'm sure Escape thought it out, so it's good enough for all of us" sentiment.

The forum is filled with topics of customization's and modifications, heaven knows I've added to those. So it kinda seems natural for people who might want to change up the awning if they aren't thrilled with the research they done on them.

That being said, have I mentioned I'm glad to be getting the "Classic" 5.0TA?
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
No I don't, but what's wrong with wondering about things and asking questions. Or are we not allowed to do that on this forum? Especially if it goes against any decisions made by ETI?

And I'm really curious why the person that asked about it earlier really wanted it.
Questions are fine. Here's mine.

Why do you wish to rehash something that has already been discussed?

Even though my opinion differs from yours, does it make it less valid?

I really don't understand why you (and a few others) do not wish to accept decisions made by Escape, yet seem interested in buying their product.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-14-2016, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Thanks for putting this in a separate thread.

#1 and #3. I might have been the person that first mentioned the Fiamma, but I wasn't the person that first questioned the Dometic. It came to mind because I have had a lot of contact with the Overlanding crowd. It's the gold standard for awnings in that world. I haven't seen any negative feedback.

Here's an example of a thread on expedition portal comparing it to others:

Fiamma feedback - Expedition Portal

If you do a search on that site for "Fiamma" you will come up with at least 70 different threads.

Other than being field-tested by the many overlanders using it, the built-in supports that can be attached to brackets on the side of the trailer are appealing. This offers the advantage of a large angle adjustment. When you need an awning for sun protection, you really need that angle adjustment as it becomes pretty useless in the afternoon when the sun gets low without being adjustable.

Overlanders are usually concerned about weight and the Fiamma is lighter.

It's half the price of the Dometic.

It is often staked out with ropes if you expect moderate winds (but should still be taken down when you leave or expect strong winds).

It's manual but is quick to put up and take down. I've seen 30-seconds mentioned. There's a video out there somewhere.

#2. It's a case-design, and the one that would fit the 19' Escape is 6" narrower than the Dometic, so I'm thinking yes, but don't know for sure. That is a key question obviously.

#4. YES, but it depends on how much wind you are talking about. Staked out, it will be like one of those camping awning rooms which are sturdy but will not survive 60MPH winds.

#5. Yes. See #1 and #3.

I see there are some responses to some of us questioning the awning choice made by Escape. Not a huge deal either way to me as I've said before, but if a choice is available I'll go with the Fiamma.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Cheers
Doug
Old 04-14-2016, 04:41 PM   #9
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Questions are fine. Here's mine.

Why do you wish to rehash something that has already been discussed?
Because as customers it is very helpful to ask questions. I for one have learned much from others question and highly value them.
Even though my opinion differs from yours, does it make it less valid?
Yes and No but that is my opinion. But I think it is best to let each individual form their own opinion.
I really don't understand why you (and a few others) do not wish to accept decisions made by Escape, yet seem interested in buying their product.
Because we all have are own way of living and camping and spending are hard earned dollors, whats right for you may not be right for me.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Our Scamp had some model of Flamma awning and we both hated it. The flimsy legs had to fold perfectly back into the case, the case sometimes didn't want to close up correctly, and it seemed to have too many things to go wrong with it. We ended up using it so infrequently that we had to get the manual out if we did try to use it.

One of my very favorite things about our 17 has been the simplicity of the awning which has allowed us to use it very often.

Now I am looking forward to an even simpler one when we get our 2017 21'.

Edit -- the Scamp awning that we hated was a Catalina. Sorry aging brain....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #11

Quote:
I didn't say I'm NOT accepting their decisions. I'm just questioning why the other person (who has since responded, if it's the person I'm thinking of) wanted to know about using that brand. It's easier to ask in a separate thread instead of buried within the thread on the 19 or 17 trailer (forget where it was). That type of awning does apply to other size trailers, I would assume.

I like the fact it's used by those hauling their rigs all over the world and rough country. Gotta check up on that link - thanks for that. I've seen some of the rigs those folks use (via web pages) - awesome rigs! Gotta admire that type of person that does all that. What an adventure!

It's also nice to know about other brands - not necessarily to replace what's on there when I pick it up from the factory. But for later on if/when the Dometic needs replacing.

Thanks Nathan for posting about your experiences with that brand.

And yeah, everyone uses their trailers differently. I will not be ashamed to say that I'm going out glamping with mine. I seriously doubt I'll be sitting in the desert for months on end, digging a hole for my poo and emptying my portable poo-mobile in that hole. But, if you wanna do that, fine by me. I'll just wave at you from my sewer hookup when you drive by. And toast you with my big glass of cold water.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #12

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
I was wondering if ETI would swap with the Fiamma F45, because we had it on our Casita and I thought it was well made and easy to use when used correctly. I'm kind of leery of something that is electrically operated that's all. KISS.
Jerry and Maria
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I think I would ask Reace if he would substitute the Fiamma for the Dometic.

If he said no, I think I would ask Reace what the price would be for delivering the trailer WITHOUT an awning.

Then I would make a decision on what to do, knowing that I would have to install the awning I wanted on my own.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
I think I would ask Reace if he would substitute the Fiamma for the Dometic.

If he said no, I think I would ask Reace what the price would be for delivering the trailer WITHOUT an awning.

Then I would make a decision on what to do, knowing that I would have to install the awning I wanted on my own.
Well put, it is great to hear a bit of common sense being used in regards to this matter.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 (Serenity).
Flatlandreader and I have been following the ups and downs of this discussion with interest.

I appreciate the technology of the new electric awning. I have some confidence that ETI would not choose a flimsy product for incorporation in their trailers ... it seems pretty improbable that Reece would entirely lose his well-demonstrated judgement over this one trailer item. Probably lots of compromises involved ...

The issue we have is that Saskatchewan can have a mosquito problem for 13 months of the year. Camping can be miserable at times of the day between midnight and 11:59 pm, depending on wind, location, phase of the moon, etc. The older awning had options for a screen room, which was a very high priority for us.

So, I will be following with interest as data comes together on the option of "not" getting an awning, and doing a subsequent installation of an awning that can support a screen room.

As an alternative, we could stick with our el cheapo Walmart screened gazebo ... or perhaps spend some more money and get something that might last more than one season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FlatlandFlyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My .02$ worth, the Fiamma awning is not waterproof, in that water and dampness gets inside the case and just like the old stock awning, will require routine cleaning. I believe the Dometic awning has a cleaning brush to clean the awning clean upon closure. They also show the add a room additions in use with the Dometic. Finally, as I mentioned before, until told otherwise I have to believe that the awning will be Dometic, perhaps a electric or manual operation, but still Dometic.
Try to order an Airstream without the awning and see how far you get with your purchase, some things are just not done.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000
Quote:
Well put, it is great to hear a bit of common sense being used in regards to this matter.
Certainly an effective way to determine ETI's position on awnings. Unfortunately it does not address the OP's origional request for information. And by the way who cares where the OP chose to ask for some feedback on this subject? Maybe some see it as a fit and some don't. What wears thin with me is people who are compelled to comment on most every post. Is there some kind of a contest for who has the most posts on this forum. If for any reason you're not happy with an individual post or it's location why not just move on to another post. Chances are we can all find a post on this forum where we can share our experience or expertise in a way that's beneficial to other members. I think that's the key to success the escape forum consistently generates.
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 19 ft. Feb 21 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They also show the add a room additions in use with the Dometic. Finally, as I mentioned before, until told otherwise I have to believe that the awning will be Dometic, perhaps a electric or manual operation, but still Dometic..
I'm not clear about the screen room compatibility. I emailed Dometic customer service and the carefully worded response was " 9500 power case awning is not approved to have the Veranda Room attached to it." On the plus side, the awning comes in 6 different colours/patterns which Escape might be able to supply for those of us who like colours!
flatlandreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:29 PM   #19
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandreader View Post
I'm not clear about the screen room compatibility. I emailed Dometic customer service and the carefully worded response was " 9500 power case awning is not approved to have the Veranda Room attached to it." On the plus side, the awning comes in 6 different colours/patterns which Escape might be able to supply for those of us who like colours!
Lol that is a funny way of putting it. It looks like it will work with the 9100.

Veranda Room & Veranda Shade. The Dometic Veranda Room makes your RV patio awning into a comfortable screened-in enclosure free from flying insects, and increases your living space. Thanks to the NEW patent pending connection system, setup is fast and simple, and the Veranda Room can now be installed on the Dometic 9100 Power Awning in addition to the traditional manual awnings. The Veranda Room starter set includes both end-panels, one three-foot door panel, skirting, wheel-well cover, hardware kit, and zippered storage bag; additional front panels are available in various lengths to fit to any awning size. Or, reduce the sun intensity by more than 50 percent with the simple-setup Veranda Shade, which comes in a kit with all tie downs and stakes in 54-inch heights and 10- and 15-foot lengths.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 AM   #20
Tin

Yikes, just googled the Dometic 9100 Power Awning! I am starting to get a since that Dometic might have some serious costumer issues. Has anyone here ever had to deal with dometic before ?
http://http://forums.goodsamclub.com...d/27097704.cfm