Fiberglass Devotees? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
View Poll Results: What did you have before you Escaped? Curious how we all got here...
Bigfoot 2 2.47%
Boler 5 6.17%
Burro 0 0%
Casita 12 14.81%
Oliver 0 0%
Scamp 11 13.58%
Trillium 4 4.94%
Other glass trailer 5 6.17%
Stick-built trailer 19 23.46%
No prior trailer - just did it right the first time! 32 39.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
Commercial Member
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Fiberglass Devotees?

Curious which paths others have traveled that let them to purchase an Escape.

Had to redo the poll as it was accidentally deleted..........oops.

Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Curious which paths others have traveled that let them to purchase an Escape.

Had to redo the poll as it was accidentally deleted..........oops.
Hi: tractors1... We'er already on our second Escape 5.0... but we don't suffer from "toofootitis"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Hunting Island St. Pk. S.C. for now

Quote Bugs Bunny..."Don't take life too seriously, none of us get out of it ALIVE"!!!
'10 Frontier CC. S.E. 4X4 Lng. Bed V6 '14 Escape 5.0TA
St.Thomas Ont.( Not the Virgin Islands)
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Team
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I purchased my Scamp before ETI started manufacturing. Zero regrets from owning a prior all molded towable. Any molded trailer is better than no molded trailer (IMHO). But now I have the perfect trailer for me.
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
My wife and I checked out the Casita at the factory, but it wasn't the one for us. Then, we checked out Scamp and Egg on line. Interesting, but..... then we found the Escape and the forum. After reading the raving fans of Escape, it was just a matter of actually seeing one and we were sold! 10 Days later, we had the tow vehicle in our driveway and then another 5 days and we had our deposit down. Rest is history. Looking forward to the Townsend Rally where we saw our first Escape!
Kevin & Barbara
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything - Charles Kuralt
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Trailer: 2012 Escape 15
We have had two old Trilliums and an 04 Trillium Outback , four stickies , 1tent trailer ....but that is over 47 yrs .
First one was a stickie bought in Vancouver 1969 ..... For $500. , would have liked to buy a very new Boler however at that time they were $800. , the$300. difference was just too much ....
All things in life are easier to swallow with a good cup of tea .....
gabeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 & Chevy Silverado 5.3L EcoTec
Went from a backpack and tarp to a 5x10 teardrop, 16' Scamp, Escape 17b and finally our Escape 21 (I think ).
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
From tents and Westies to an Escape

We had a series of VW Westies, followed by a VW Eurovan with a Winnebago conversion all the time the kids were growing up. Had lots of fun on family vacations, even if things were a bit tight sometimes. My preferred mode of camping was on a bicycle with a tent. As we neared retirement Lindy and I started thinking about a small travel trailer. I really got the bug when I saw a Casita being towed by a minivan in Seaside, OR.

We rented a 20 year old Scamp for a long weekend. Returned home and said "That is not for us!". Probably the 50 mph headwinds for 500 miles had something to do with that. And the fact that the trailer's brakes didn't work and we we didn't have a WDH.

In spite of that, we kept gazing at Fiberglass trailers on the internet. Looked at a Casita and liked it a lot. Then Eric and Mary showed us Blue, and we knew we wanted an Escape, but were torn because we had never had a "Real" RV before. Finally decided that our regrets (which are few) had more to do with things that we didn't do than things we actually did. And that if it didn't work out we could just sell the trailer. So we ordered our 17b in January 2012, picked it up in June, and had the time of our lives bringing it back home. Got our 21 last Sept.

We just returned from 5 weeks on the road, and hardly a day went by where one of us didn't remark on how much fun we were having and how much we like our Escape trailer. Lindy wanted to stay out longer, but I felt the need to come back and be a responsible adult for a while before we head out to the rally in May.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
I indicated "other fiberglass" as my previous trailer (it's a 2005 Tab T2 which is not molded fiberglass, but is made of fiberglass--I guess it could be considered a "stick-built". However, it does not have the frequent seams of other "stick-built" trailers. We've had it since 2007 (third owners) and really enjoyed it. Coming from a backpacking background, we've been almost embarrassed by the level of luxury. We're getting an Escape (17B in mid-Aug.) primarily to have a frig rather than an icebox and to have a shower--hope the frig will reliably cool in summer temperatures!
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 PM   #9
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Another former T@B owner. It wasn't exactly stick built and wasn't exactly fiberglass, more like an aluminum, styrofoam, fiberglass sandwich.

In any case, I found my way here.
sturski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
Site Team
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Originally Posted by sturski View Post
Another former T@B owner. It wasn't exactly stick built and wasn't exactly fiberglass, more like an aluminum, styrofoam, fiberglass sandwich.

In any case, I found my way here.
My T@da was made with alumifiber, sheets that were vacuum formed. However as T@b and T@da owners realize, the seams could leak and you have delamination of the exterior panels, so they were just as bad as the stickies. When you think about, the older aluminum siding models did not delaminate, but you still had leaks. thank god for molded fiberglass units.

never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote