final points to our build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
final points to our build sheet

Does anyone know ETI would replace the 6.0 cf refrigerator in the 5.0 TA with a smaller refrigerator during production?

I know lots of people will argue that this a silly thing to do and we have discussed this between Laura and I and are simply interested if it can/would be an option and result in an additional area for more storage.

I would want to keep the refrigerator at the current height, lifting the install shelf, and adding another door under the refrigerator placement.

Also, the build sheet mentions a $125 upgrade for a MaxxFan with remote. Is this for the second roof vent or to simply change the fan cover of the existing vent to smoke and add the remote control for the existing fan?

Last, we want to include the pre-wire for solar but would like to move the connection point to a lower part of the camper near the rear bumper to make it easy to connect a remote solar panel at a later point. Will this create any problems that those with solar experience can identify?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in finalizing these points.

Bill & Laura
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't see why they would not change the fridge to a smaller one. I would ask Escape on that though. I suspect because of the venting that it would have to be kept lower though.

That is just an upgrade on the fan.

I would have the solar pre-wire run to right beside the batteries.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Jim, thanks for your input.

Laura also suggested to have the solar prewire presented closest the batteries, but I don't know what that would be so I was suggesting the rear bumper. Can you tell me where your batteries are located in your fiver?

Regarding the upgrade to the fan, is this an upgrade to the "existing MaxxFan" or to the plain vent cover-converting the plain vent to a second MaxxFan?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Does anyone know ETI would replace the 6.0 cf refrigerator in the 5.0 TA with a smaller refrigerator during production?

I know lots of people will argue that this a silly thing to do and we have discussed this between Laura and I and are simply interested if it can/would be an option and result in an additional area for more storage.

I would want to keep the refrigerator at the current height, lifting the install shelf, and adding another door under the refrigerator placement.

Also, the build sheet mentions a $125 upgrade for a MaxxFan with remote. Is this for the second roof vent or to simply change the fan cover of the existing vent to smoke and add the remote control for the existing fan?

Last, we want to include the pre-wire for solar but would like to move the connection point to a lower part of the camper near the rear bumper to make it easy to connect a remote solar panel at a later point. Will this create any problems that those with solar experience can identify?

Thank you in advance for your assistance in finalizing these points.

Bill & Laura
Keep in mind that you could store a can of beans in the fridge, but you can NOT store perishable stuff in the pantry!

I would say, under no circumstances have ETI install a smaller fridge. Resale will always happen, at some time, and you would be making your Escape much harder to sell. You'll drop your resale value a bunch.

So dont think or it as "get more storage with a smaller fridge" but as "more storage just happens to be cold!"

the current 2017 fridge ETI is using on the 21' (ours) i assume would be the same as on a current 5.0 and it works VERY well.

Other earlier fridges had some issues... so that is another very good reason to stay with the current (working well for many) fridge.

I can't comment on the other issues as they relate to 5.0's

however i seem to recall that the remote on the Maxx Fan is very good to have on a 5.0 as the ceiling is way high.

No that doesnt add another Maxx Fan - the $125 gets the wireless remote model.

good luck

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The batteries are at the rear under the dinette seat.

Yes, it is an upgrade to the existing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The biggest reason to stay with a bigger frig (IMHO) is the less "jammed" the contents are, the more efficient. You want air space around the food.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:38 AM   #7

Thanx John. We appreciate your clarifying that for us.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The biggest reason to stay with a bigger frig (IMHO) is the less "jammed" the contents are, the more efficient. You want air space around the food.
+1

I had forgotten that point, but yes, indeed. Donna D is (as usual) correct.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #9

that's it then

With those points answered, we've nailed down the major questions we have relating to our build sheet. There are several minor questions that only ETI can answer, i.e. is there an amber lens for the porch light? None of these questions are deal breakers but more along the lines of "nice to have" if they're available.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Let's be clear here that we are talking about 2 different refer models, the 5.0 cu/ft single door standard in the 19 model and the 2 door 6.0 cu/ft standard in the 21 and 5th wheel. The op is looking to purchase the 5th wheel and wants the smaller refer. Since that is an upgrade to the 19 for $200, ETI may credit you? Either way, the smaller unit will allow for additional storage above the unit. I do not see ETI raising the refer for additional storage below as that could impact the rear compartment clearance and or/vent issues.
The upgrade for the MaxxFan gives you the smoke lens which allows moonlight and sunlight to enter the trailer and allows one to observe the sky through the tinted cover. The stock cover is not transparent and it seems to attract street lights to make the cover glow at night. In addition there is a remote which can be mounted by the bed to operate the fan manually if so desired.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 AM   #11

Jim, I believe you have summarized my understanding of the circumstances very succinctly. Thank you.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
yes there are amber lens covers, I got them on my unit as well as relocated the curb side light below the belly band where it will do some good at illuminating the step area.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's some storage differences between the 19, 21 and 5.0TA

The 19' has something called a "wardrobe" that is basically a hanging closet that some owners have converted to a pantry, or split the space into both pantry and hanging closet.

The 21' has something called a Micro Cabinet w/Storage. There again some owners have converted to a pantry, or split the space into both pantry and hanging closet.

The 5.0TA has a Micro Cabinet w/Storage (ready made pantry) AND an additional hanging closet over the steps, driver side. Plus there are those that have changed the drawer stack to the right inside door to another cabinet... either shelving or another hanging closet.

Personally, I wouldn't get a smaller frig to get a bit more storage. What I need to work on, is more efficient use of the space. I have a tendency to just stuff things into cabinets... and then spend three days looking for something... like that box of Kleenex I knew I had packed (shudda put it in the big refrigerator )
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
There are several minor questions that only ETI can answer, i.e. is there an amber lens for the porch light?
The standard ETI porch light is a very "economical" offering, but at least they now look to incorporate an LED bulb. We've had luck with the upgrade to the Starlights SL-1000. They are little bigger, but look better in my opinion. The older trailers don't have an inside switch so I had to add one on the light to switch between on/off/motion. You would have an easier time incorporating this due to the now standard inside switch. They have an amber lens kit that can be purchased. Ask ETI is you can ship it to them to incorporate into the build. We only have the one light by the door, but I see newer trailers adding more. I think this would be overkill/unnecessary for those other locations.

www.amazon.com/Starlights-SL-1000-12-volt-Exterior-Motion/dp/B004O7DBM4

www.amazon.com/Starlights-AL-1000-Amber-Replacement-SL-1000/dp/B002YI969C/ref=pd_sim_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002YI969C &pd_rd_r=MC990ES4FN4BJTHWV1DV&pd_rd_w=6jtz5&pd_rd_ wg=w1nkD&psc=1&refRID=MC990ES4FN4BJTHWV1DV
Attached Thumbnails
profile.jpg  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote