Finalizing the build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Finalizing the build sheet

Well I got my 21 almost paid for, have our needs and wants down on the sheet. Now we are at the stage of reviewing and rethinking a couple of items.
Have nixed the 2-way hot water tank and added two of the little fold up tables in the u-shaped dinette area. Now am thinking about the remove able power cord, what's the pros and cons? Seems to me that it would be easy to get in a hurry breaking camp, roll it up, lay it on the ground and drive off with out it. ( I know, but I worry about little things like that, it's just me. Drives my wife nuts sometimes .) it would SUCK to get 200 miles down the road to the next camp site and not have it.
Did not get the inverter, or microwave, because we never had it in our other two campers. And most of the things we already have run on 12v. Am thinking about adding a couple more 12v plugs. Have done one extra one in the dinette area already, thinking about one by the bed,(for the wife's 12v electric blanket) and maybe by the kitchen counter. Can someone explain to me the 12v/ UBS. I know what a 12v plug is, and a UBS port is on a computer. But how does its use relate to use in a camper.
Also what is the advantages of the foot flush toilet over the standard hand flush. I guess these are the only questions left, any opinions will be appreciated.
I got my needs and my wants, it's amazing how many more wants over needs there is
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
There is a 12v next to the bed. You can buy extra 12vs that have USBs with them, receptacles on the same outlet for USB items. We plug our computers into the USBs we have at the dinette. We are not using a USB on our iPads, only the ones at the dinette to plug into.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have trouble seeing how someone would forget a removable power cord, any more than chairs, hoses, mats, etc. You remove it and put it away. With the non-removable one, if you forget it, you will drag it down the road causing irreparable damage. Just my thought on that. I certainly would not worry about forgetting it. (though I did leave my brother at a gas station once )

The 12V/USB is for charging phones, GPS, tablets, anything that charges via a USB port.

I really don't see the advantage of the foot flush, though some seem to like them. I am not bothered by bending over to flush, and I close the lid before doing so.

And yes, wants vs needs adds a HUGE amount of things. We can easily find ways to justify just about any purchase if we want.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Yes, people have actually left their wives and dogs! And a whole lot more including having their awning out!

The foot flush can be used when using a wand on the black tank and that would be a big help. But we have the regular.

With the regular cord, you towel it off as you are putting it away. Very quick.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Get the removable power cord- had the other in our 17B and you will not want it in that space in a 21 IMO.

Foot flush let's you Not be a contortionist. You're facing forward already.....best to keep it that way & flush on your way out.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have trouble seeing how someone would forget a removable power cord,
Yup, I always have trouble with that comment also. I mean, you disconnect from the post first, walk to the trailer and unplug and coil it up. Why would anyone put it on the ground instead of in the tongue box?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't want a detachable cord. Not because I might leave it behind, but because I find it really easy to wrap a rag around the part that has been laying on the ground and then to feed it into it's hole.
I only take out as much as I need.
In my 17B, the cord feeds into a dedicated space under the bench.
Attached Thumbnails
Cord 1.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Removable power cord should be standard.
We got the foot flush cause with the exchange rate it was chump change. Wifey absolutely loves it after having the other type before. Happy wife, happy camper!
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

Here's how I hold open the toilet to use the wand ( on my 17B ).
The wipes container is just the right size and shape to hold the lever open.
Easier than trying to stand on one leg, holding the lever open with one foot, while manipulating the wand.
I place a sheet of Saran wrap over the bowl ( with an X cut in the middle ) to keep from getting an inadvertent face wash.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilet lever prop.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Wish that worked on a 21'.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I'd get the microwave. Not expensive and good for resale. A real hassle to put one in later if you changed your mind.

There's "cramping", "camping" and "glamping". I'd say a 21 is definitely the later, live it up!
Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Wish that worked on a 21'.
Which is why I always try to remember to specify 2008 17B when talking about anything.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Which is why I always try to remember to specify 2008 17B when talking about anything.
Good idea. I also often specify which model. And they now know that what works on your 17' does not work on our 21'. Don't know about 13', 15', 19' or 5.0 though. Maybe those people can let us know if they have tried that, or what does work on a 21'.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:18 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post101484
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #15

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We're good with 2 inside 12v plugs and 1 outside, I could swap the one where we charge our phones and such with the usb type but the other 2 need to be the regular lighter type as some of our gadgets are that style. Easy to plug in one of the little USB adapters into the lighter receptacle when needed, not so the other way around.

The toilet and the power cord are just a personal preference thing, have had both styles of both items and they all do the job.

I never liked the hand flush in our last trailer so I went with the foot flush, others are the other way around. I like the foot flush for actual flushing but found the hand flush easier when adding chemicals and water to the black tank, and for cleaning.

On the cord, I thought the push in one took up too much room on our last trailer, being such small trailers I figured the removable would use less, which it does. The push in was of course simpler to store, and was easier to clean. Never had any bug or mice issues with it, although I do recall being concerned one year during gypsy moth caterpillar season. Darned things got everywhere. As far as driving off leaving the detachable on the table, closest I got was starting to drive off without disconnecting, and that was with the push in one. Noticed it before doing any damage. My detachable goes right from the power post to the storage container, it doesn't stop at the table, same as the hose.

You could ask if you could get the outlet installed for the MW if you're on the fence about it. That way the breaker is installed and the receptacle is in the cabinet should you want to use it at some point.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I did not get the microwave but the outlet is there if I change my mind. That space is a nice food pantry and I keep a rechargeable flashlight plugged into the 120v receptacle. Most newer 12v appliances/chargers are now USB vs the round cigarette lighter style.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
I'd get the microwave. Not expensive and good for resale. A real hassle to put one in later if you changed your mind.

There's "cramping", "camping" and "glamping". I'd say a 21 is definitely the later, live it up!
For many this is a great thing, but there are lots of us who can't even use one most of the time as we don't have power for it. As well, the only thing it usually gets used for is to reheat the coffee, and when camping I have the time to drink it while it is hot the first time. In the 19 we were very glad for the space it would have taken to install one, and used that space as our pantry.

Everyone's needs are different, and even I am trying to forecast what ours will be in the future, as they will no doubt be changing as we will be moving to using it on extended trips more often.

I will not be "glamping", but instead be "lumping".... luxuriously camping. Or maybe "Camping with benefits".
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did not get the microwave but the outlet is there if I change my mind. That space is a nice food pantry and I keep a rechargeable flashlight plugged into the 120v receptacle. Most newer 12v appliances/chargers are now USB vs the round cigarette lighter style.
Good point too that a microwave would actually be a very easy install at a later date.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Pailin, why a 12v on the outside? And where is it posititioned? And good thought about getting the cabinet microwave ready. Another thought I had was getting a 120 and a 12v outlet on that 45degree bed corner under the vent. My wife has RA problems and likes her heat pads or electric blanket on cold nights. I know there is a 120 in the DS over head cabinet, but than we would have an extension cord running over our heads as EB's plug in at the foot.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Some add the 12V outlet outside the door, under the awning. The thought is that this is used to plug in a 12V fan to keep the mosquitoes and black flies off of you. You could also use it to keep the phone close by while it is recharging. We added the microwave for times when we are hooked up and were able to use it as a convenience. Great for baking potatoes, heating up oatmeal, etc. The cost was low and the quality of the installed microwave was excellent. Usually when you buy an "inexpensive" or "small" one, you get one that is low on quality and features.