Finishing Build Help! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 Foot
Finishing Build Help!

Build Sheet deadline is Oct 31st for our 21.

Husband doesn't think he needs an electric tongue jack. If down the road we decide we need one, can we easily install it later?

Any opinion on the maxx air upgrade with remote?

Also the new style awning light?

Should I get rid of the shelf above the bed? What is it good for?

Did not get oven (toaster oven or grill will do the job)
Cancelled Inverter and got more 12v added in and outside
Changed my mind about adding tall second cabinet.

Thanks in Advance!
Whew! Almost done!
Zengranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I did not think I needed one either. It took just one trip in the August heat to realize how terribly wrong I was. There is a whole lot of manual jacking involved, especially if you are using a WDH. The good news is that replacing with an electric jack is very easy. In fact, I finally did it a couple of weeks ago. Took me about 30 minutes. I will say that I have the 19, so my batteries are on the front tongue, so getting to that was easy.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengranny View Post
Build Sheet deadline is July 21st for our 21.
I hope you meant August 21st... otherwise you're LATE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #4

Think I'm over thinking? Just edited, thank you very much!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We like the shelf above the bed for reading glasses, books, phone, ipad, TV remote, etc. We had two extra 12V outlets installed on either side of the cabinet door above the bed which makes the shelf a convenient place to plug in your phones or ipads just before you go to sleep. We were concerned it may discourage reading in bed but it doesn't seem be in the way at all.

And....... we've discovered that its a nice place to put your adult beverage while you pause a movie to hit the restroom!
Old 07-26-2017, 01:10 PM   #6

I knew that shelf had to be good for something :-)
Old 07-26-2017, 01:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
X2 on the greatness that is an electric jack. My cheapo cost C$110 on super sale. Easy to replace with some youtube help.

Gas oven if a) you bake a ton at home or b) will mostly boondock. In fact, most build questions eventually boil down to the boondock versus power bush camping modes.

Love my bed shelf, but then I'm a side sleeper.

Have the upgraded Maxx, don't really use the remote much. Fan at 10% outflow is mostly where I set it anyways.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Shelf is also good for Kleenex box. I picked up 12V from the bed up behind the corner padding to the shelf and put a dual USB outlet up there so wifey can charge her phone and Kindle overnight.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Build Sheet deadline is Oct 31st for our 21.
Husband doesn't think he needs an electric tongue jack. If down the road we decide we need one, can we easily install it later?
Also the new style awning light?
Should I get rid of the shelf above the bed? What is it good for?
Did not get oven (toaster oven or grill will do the job)
Cancelled Inverter and got more 12v added in and outside
Changed my mind about adding tall second cabinet.
Thanks in Advance!
Whew! Almost done!
Debby, My opinion, FWIW. In order of above:
1) Since the battery(ies) on the 21' are in the rear, if you decide to not get the electric tongue jack now, at least ask ETI to pre-wire for it.
2) We like having the remote for our MaxxFan because the control buttons are more logical and you can look down comfortably at the remote wherever you are rather than having to go to one place and crane your neck looking up.
3) From photos, it seemed the awning cord light was way too bright for our camping style. We even opted for the amber lens over the entry door light to tone things down a bit.
4) My wife loves the shelf above the bed for reasons noted already by others. A very convenient place to put her glasses, Kindle, TV remote, etc., etc.
5) We don't plan to cook much inside the trailer. We either cook outside or just microwave leftovers. So we just stuck with the base 2-burner cook top (which will be adequate for us if we have to cook a meal or two inside during bad weather) and had it turned 90 degrees to free up more counter top space between it and the sink.
6) I thought I added plenty of 12V DC outlets, and now I wish I had added about three more inside and 1 more outside - mostly to minimize unsightly and cumbersome power cords stringing across and down from one place to another. So don't be stingy on those.
7) We like having the standard drawer stack with counter top at the foot of the bed. When the galley and dinette are in use for meal preparation, etc., it's a great place for other projects and to just set stuff aside for later.
I hope that helps some.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Plus the kitchen counter extension. IMHO it should be standard.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:

Easy solution: get him to crank it.

I have a feeling I'll be in the minority here, but I really like my manual tongue jack. I haven't measured it, but I think it takes me about 30 seconds to raise/lower it, which I don't find very onerous. My main reason for not wanting it is that it adds some weight to the tongue which I'd rather use for putting stuff in the front storage box. If money and tongue weight are not issues for you, then I'd probably get it. I think it's easy to add afterwards since you have +12 volt power and ground in the circuit box at the tongue.

Despite working in tech, I tend to be a Luddite when it comes to electronics, so my personal preference would be to steer away from the maxx air with remote. For me, it's just another thing to lose and/or have break on me and/or need to run to the store to buy batteries for. I can see why these would be useful on RVs with high roofs, but I can easily reach the controls on my fan without a remote in 1-2 seconds flat, and then I rarely change them.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
If you like to sit up more when you read in bed, that shelf could get in your way. We didn't get it on ours and are perfectly happy not having it there. With that being said, though, I do have a place to stash stuff at the head of the bed as we left out their mattress and put in a Select Comfort/Sleep by Number bed. Their full size is a bit shorter than the Escape's bed platform, so I put some foam at the head of the bed in the middle where the pillow rests. And I have room on either side for stuff, like the bed pump, sound machine, travel alarm, etc.

I would not want to crank up the jack all the time. It's enough cranking for the scissor jacks and the KoJack levelers we have. Granted, don't need 'em all the time, but I'm not a fan of bending over and cranking and neither is Dirk. We're very pleased with ours.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the remote for the Maxx fan. I find the control information on the fan's base (in the ceiling) to be very hard to read. I need to print out some labels and stick them up there with a super large font so I can figure out what's what. The remote would probably be far easier to read and I wouldn't have to stand at a weird angle with my head tilted way back to read the stuff on the ceiling.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:19 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The nice thing about the MaxxFan upgrade is the remote and the smoke lens. The stock lens is white and at night it seems to attract any outside light (street, moon,ambient) and glows in the ceiling. The smoke lens is clear and allows natural light to enter in a subdue manner. You can even see the stars at night. The remote can be mounted or taken anywhere to turn the fan off/on, otherwise you need to get up from bed to turn it off when it cools the trailer down at 3 am.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I use the electric jack quite a bit - when hitching up, I raise the trailer far enough to pick up the rear end of my Taco an inch or so, insuring that the ball is actually captured and secure. Then set up the WDH stuff as being really high makes for less work with the Andersen hitch. Definitely think it's worth the extra 10 pounds over a manual cranker when camping in the rain......

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
I might add that hand-cranking the tongue on a single axle 17' (like our EggCamper) is a whole lot easier than on a double axle 21'. I, for one, am very happy we spent the extra money for the electric jack on our 21', and my wife makes two. Just saying....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Just remember, some tow vehicles have clearance issues with the tongue jack, the manual jack is easier to modify or replace with a different model that has the needed clearance versus the power jack.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy has the electric jack. I could do without the noise it makes. Still, I might have to replace my manual jack or lift weights.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #18

Trailer: None now
If you have clearance issues you could always install a removable jack.
The power jack would need a disconnect added.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170726_181628.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #19

On the Maxxfan is there a cover on the top to cover the fan door when it is up so rain can not enter. Put one on our Casita and really enjoyed it.

Decided on the electric jack for sure. I'll find it easier when I'm on my own.

Still contemplating lights on awning and fan remote.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Still contemplating lights on awning
Supposed to be looking at the stars.