Flopping on the u-shaped dinette - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Flopping on the u-shaped dinette

Okay, for those eagerly awaiting my review of flopping around on the u-shaped dinette, here it is! You don't have to wait with bated breath any longer.

Thanks to Sylvia and Ken for letting us view your trailer. Have fun at the rally!

Anywho, I now have a $350 item to add to my "must have" list of options! Yeah, I liked it quite a bit!! I could not see having a trailer (for me) without it.

I like to stretch out while reading (which I could not do on the regular dinette and I don't use my bed that way). Without the filler board, there was not enough room to do that. My upper thighs were kind of hanging off the side a bit (I'm 5'10", appx 220# and have a 36" inseam). When Sylvia added in the filler board, I just naturally turned a bit to the side and stretched my legs across that wider area (see photo; yes, those are socks with cats on 'em that I'm wearing). I didn't even think about it - I just did it. I had to concentrate more without the filler board - in terms of "don't fall off, don't fall off" - it was not very relaxing to say the least. And there would not have been room for Lucy to snuggle next to me without that filler board. She likes to start off on my lap and then move next to my legs/thighs after I fidget too much for her liking (I fidget a lot).

They added two of the flip-up tables/counters on either side of the dinette. With or without the filler board, it wasn't that difficult to sit there and imagine eating off a plate that's set on it. Heck, many times at home we eat with a plate on our laps. The flip-up is also large enough (according to Dirk, as we didn't test it out) to put my laptop on there if I wanted to watch DVDs while stretched out.

For my crafting, I would be coloring in stamped images and I would just bring along a lap tray. I've done that at home and I know it works just fine.

Their cushions weren't any thicker than usual; I've seen mention of thicker cushions. They were just fine the way they were and if you had thicker ones, you'd lose some of the space for your posterior to rest on. Sylvia had a bunch of throw pillows scattered around and it was nice to flop against them.

So, yeah, I really liked it. Dirk said if it works for me, it works for him. (smart man) I'm really glad I got the chance to test it out, especially after seeing the regular dinette in the other trailers.

We talked about it at lunch afterwards and figure we'll get recessed holders for the table posts (heck if I know the technical term for 'em), which is what Rich has in his 19 footer. That way Lucy's cat box would fit under there, for when I travel with her. As well as her steps to get up since she's crippled and can't jump. That way the post holders aren't in the way and Dirk doesn't have to try to install the screw-in holders later on and hopefully not goof it up. The table would rarely be used, as you could use 1 or 2 filler boards for when it's made into a bed.

Also including a photo of Lucy, snoozing away on her shelf, which is next to my computer/crafting space.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02549.jpg   DSC02550.jpg   DSC02553.jpg   DSC00464.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oh, I forgot to add that I could easily see eating with the plate on my lap and my drink on the flip-up counter. If you're sitting with your back to the sides, you do have to twist a bit to eat at the counter. And if you sit with your back to the back wall, the counter is a bit far away. So, just eat with a plate on your lap and you'll be fine.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
love the green! Is that a sunbrella fabric? Working on a 21 build sheet and want a cheerful color fabric, Also U shaped dinette looks very comfy!
Thank you, Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
love the green! Is that a sunbrella fabric? Working on a 21 build sheet and want a cheerful color fabric, Also U shaped dinette looks very comfy!
Thank you, Andrea
It's not mine, so I could not tell you what fabric they used.

and yes, it was VERY comfy! Far more than I expected. I can see myself stretched out, watching a DVD on my laptop and
Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Oh no, talk about (flip) flopping... We had firmly decided on the standard dinette after going back and forth at least 3 times. After seeing the pics and your post now I'm thinking we need to go with the U shape.
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Does anyone have the dimensions of the flip up tables?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Does anyone have the dimensions of the flip up tables?
We have been told 11 x 18, 18 being the width, 11 depth apparently. Maybe someone can confirm.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Oh no, talk about (flip) flopping... We had firmly decided on the standard dinette after going back and forth at least 3 times. After seeing the pics and your post now I'm thinking we need to go with the U shape.
Jill, I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted until I actually sat on it. I was leaning towards it, from posts on this forum, as well as from when I sat at the dinette in the 21 footer recently. After sitting at the u-shaped, especially with the filler boards, I definitely decided.

What you could do is put out a post with a subject header of "anyone with Escapes in the Sacramento area" sort of thing and then ask if you'd be able to view their trailer. And especially ask if anyone has the u-shaped. I did that in one of my other posts and Sylvia saw it and offered us a viewing.

You could also ask Escape themselves for names and numbers. Although I would suspect they're rather busy getting last minute stuff ready for their rally. Which is why we haven't gone to the factory yet.

I forgot to measure the flip-up counter, but there was enough room for a plate and glass for when you're eating. And Dirk thinks there's enough room for my laptop (which isn't super small).

Sylvia also had a fold-down separate table for when they want to sit there and consume a larger meal than the counters could hold. It came apart and stashed into a cloth bag. Or you could sit there with TV trays, if you really wanted a bigger and closer table for eating.

I guess you need to decide how you plan to use it the most. I plan to use it the most for reading and watching DVDs, not entertaining others for dinner. Or playing cards. Or putting together a puzzle. If anyone sleeps there, it'd be far easier to set up as a bed with the filler board(s) as opposed to taking down the table.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 - Audi Q7
The flip up tables are 18 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

Yes, the green fabric is Sunbrella. This green is Canvas - Parrot #5405. I know many don't want to use a solid but this works great for us even with the dogs.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
The flip up tables are 18 inches wide and 11 inches deep.

Yes, the green fabric is Sunbrella. This green is Canvas - Parrot #5405. I know many don't want to use a solid but this works great for us even with the dogs.
I would have never guessed that that was Sunbrella. We are going solids, too, and your pillows make it very nice. They can be changed easier than the cushions or rotated with some others once in a great while.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I would have never guessed that that was Sunbrella. We are going solids, too, and your pillows make it very nice. They can be changed easier than the cushions or rotated with some others once in a great while.
After seeing what Sylvia used, I'm strongly leaning towards a solid fabric as well. Or one with a slight pattern to it, such as two close colors woven together. I'm thinking a medium or darker grey or some royal blue tones. And then getting a bunch of cushy pillows made with some of the cat themed fabrics that I have. And yeah, rotate them around.

Or replace them if the hubby uses 'em. He absolutely kills pillows when he lays against them. I can not figure it out. I can use a pillow for years and then he uses it for a short time and it's completely wadded up, out of shape and unusable. It's very weird. So, I'll just plan on replacing them after a while.

Good to know the size of the counter. gotta add that to my spreadsheet!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
I would have never guessed that that was Sunbrella. ......
Keep in mind that Sunbrella is well-known for awning fabrics, but they do have a variety, among them 'upholstery'.
Fabric Showroom: Sunbrella fabrics
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Keep in mind that Sunbrella is well-known for awning fabrics, but they do have a variety, among them 'upholstery'.
Fabric Showroom: Sunbrella fabrics

Or even better in an RV or outdoor application: 'Marine Fabric'. Stands up against fading and UV breakdown.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
The Canvas Parrot looks so cheerful, and it does well with dogs so must be durable! Are the valances Sunbrella? Your Escape looks so nice!
Andrea
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A suggestion for those getting the "U" dinette in the 21', ask ETI to install the converter on the side where the furnace is no longer located, it will give you more open storage space under the rear seat that is longer but narrower, or keep it in it's present location if you need wider but shorter storage where the furnace is no longer located, just a suggestion.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
The Canvas Parrot looks so cheerful, and it does well with dogs so must be durable! Are the valances Sunbrella? Your Escape looks so nice!
Andrea
Andrea, sorry I didn't see your question earlier. The valances aren't Sunbrella, they are a 100% cotton fabric I found in a swatch book. I can't find the fabric name Right now but can try to figure it out if you really want to know.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
A suggestion for those getting the "U" dinette in the 21', ask ETI to install the converter on the side where the furnace is no longer located, it will give you more open storage space under the rear seat that is longer but narrower, or keep it in it's present location if you need wider but shorter storage where the furnace is no longer located, just a suggestion.
Is the electrical cord in the corner in its own compartment? Can it be easily accessed on the inside? (I think maybe you have the detachable cord?)

Isn't the electrical box at the far side of the U in the back?
Old 06-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #18

The electric cord is on the driver's in the back corner. Ours doesn't have its own compartment and is relatively easy to access. Our battery box (2 sixes) is on the passenger side toward the front of the dinette. The inverter is under the long back section so there is very little storage under the back bench. I'll see if I can get pictures.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #19

Pictures of the area under the dinette may be attached!

I find that the area under the back section is difficult to get at (the back cushion is long and a little difficult to maneuver) so we don't have any thing stored is this space right now. I made a frame on the driver's side to keep the little oven secure while traveling and that is working well. The trailer is plugged in right now so not much of the cord is inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Passenger side.jpg   Back left.jpg   Back right.jpg   Driver's side.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 11:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kands View Post
The electric cord is on the driver's in the back corner. Ours doesn't have its own compartment and is relatively easy to access. Our battery box (2 sixes) is on the passenger side toward the front of the dinette. The inverter is under the long back section so there is very little storage under the back bench. I'll see if I can get pictures.
Thank you so much for the photos, Sylvia! So that is your personal item next to the furnace. I take it that part of the electrical cord is seen next to it. And the surge protector is in the corner. That is very helpful!