For those who sleep with your heads on D/S... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim,
The emergency window in later 19' models are awning type non slider windows with a metal bar that holds the window open. This bar intrudes a little into the sleeping area, about as much as the pull down shades.
I did not know this, thanks. Is there a reason they went away from the slider/emergency combo, as it seems to be a better idea?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sure it has to do with the window manufacturer, just like the discontinued awning type kitchen/bath has been replaced with the up/down slider.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I did not know this, thanks. Is there a reason they went away from the slider/emergency combo, as it seems to be a better idea?
I don't know the business reason, but I like the awning window. Since it's on the drivers side, I can leave it open a tad during the rain (as I mentioned above). That doesn't work so well with sliders where there's no awning.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #24

I know in homes awning windows are not allowed as egress windows due to the hardware being in the way should it be needed for escaping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
I know in homes awning windows are not allowed as egress windows due to the hardware being in the way should it be needed for escaping.
Alf may be able to give a definitive answer, but seems to me our city buses all have awning egress windows. Glass crashing to the ground if there's no hinge system?
Old 02-02-2015, 11:49 AM   #26

It's not the hinges Donna, but the operating hardware that is the issue. Do these windows have the operating hardware on the sides maybe? I know the one in the old Trillium I am rebuilding has an emergency window hinged at the top, but only catches at the bottom, and is not designed for regular use.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
It's not the hinges Donna, but the operating hardware that is the issue. Do these windows have the operating hardware on the sides maybe? I know the one in the old Trillium I am rebuilding has an emergency window hinged at the top, but only catches at the bottom, and is not designed for regular use.
Hinged at the top, prop and catch at the bottom. That's the way the ETI window is too. The screen pushes out easily and I don't think it would take much to shove the prop out of the way. When I went through orientation, nothing was said about not using it regularly. I plan to, since there's only two opening windows in the dinette and this is one of them.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We use ours regularly for venting as well as we did in the 17B with no issues. I did notice recently that the emergency window doesn't have a weep to drain off rain water as the other windows so it pools up on the outside gasket. Plan to regularly wipe that with a rag to keep it dry there.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
We use ours regularly for venting as well as we did in the 17B with no issues. I did notice recently that the emergency window doesn't have a weep to drain off rain water as the other windows so it pools up on the outside gasket. Plan to regularly wipe that with a rag to keep it dry there.
I drilled 4 tiny holes from the inside at a downward angle thru the trim, seems to allow that trapped water to escape from my Escape!!!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:04 PM   #30

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Speaking of windows. I found a puddle on the counter last week when I warmed up the trailer to do some work on it. The inside track for the opening kitchen window was somewhat full. I see there are 2 holes towards the corners that work as weep holes but none towards the center. has anyone else noticed this? I'm thinking it was frozen condensation that melted.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Hi Bob

I would take a paper clip and check/clean out the drain holes. We used to do warranty work for a large US window and door manufacturer and you wouldn't believe the stuff I cleaned out of drain holes.

Cheers
Doug
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclimber View Post
We are toying with driver side/frig. wall side sleeping in our 19'. Some discussion with ETI about the emergency window/awning handle being a problem for folks with their heads in this position. We would rather sleep this way, Thanks for any advice--
Peace,
Gae
Hi Gae,
I am kind of late responding to your post but I thought I would pass this unto you. Now this is just my experience with trying to sleep with my head toward the driver side of our Escape 19 trailer. The number one thing that I have against sleeping this way is amount of noise that comes from the air-conditioner. It seem to me the noise and vibration travels right down the refrigerator wall making it almost impossible to sleep.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 19' Escape "On the Lam"
Thanks for the input, Mark. We decided to sleep with our heads on the driver's side, but arranged some things so that we could switch back to the passenger side, if needed. We'll see in the first night out!
oldclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
Hi Bob

I would take a paper clip and check/clean out the drain holes. We used to do warranty work for a large US window and door manufacturer and you wouldn't believe the stuff I cleaned out of drain holes.

Cheers
Doug
If it ever warms up I'll give it a shot, thanks. I was tempted to try drilling a couple more holes toward the middle of the window, but chickened out.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If it ever warms up I'll give it a shot, thanks. I was tempted to try drilling a couple more holes toward the middle of the window, but chickened out.

Hi Bob I would drill away, you can never have to many drain holes. Sometimes as the outside rubber seal/trim shrinks back with time it is possible that more water will get in then can get out with the existing drain holes. Just make sure you drill in the same channel that the factory drain holes are in.

Cheers
Doug