Frameless windows - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #21
BJC

Trailer: Escape 17B 2010
Thanks!

I appreciate all who responded! Any new technology has weaknesses that we the consumers have to bear. Hope we make a decision we can live with
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
We had one window blow out in the back on a hot day! That is a $385 fix not covered under warranty.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:00 PM   #23

Trailer: Scamp 2006 sold, 21 Escape on Order
We love the frameless Windows, no Problem.
Butlerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 2018
Send a message via AIM to Farmerdoug
Screen frames

We are happy with the windows, but the screens were not fitted properly, and the No See-ums found the gaps, It can be tricky to reinsert the screens.
Lesson learned, don't turn on the Awning LEDs when bugs are swarming.

The screws in the rear windows were badly corroded, as received but ETI sent replacements.
Farmerdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Frameless Windows

LOVE THEM
They can be open when it rains.
People cannot see in.
Ventilation does not blow everything all over the trailer.
Warmer then other types of windows.
Get security, people cannot climb in.

I have hand our 5.0TA for a year and have had no issues with the windows.
I have had the other types of windows in other RVs. These are the best!
Awining windows cranks brake and are in the way. People can see in
Slide-by they have all of the issues the Frameless do not.
WRGooding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGooding View Post
LOVE THEM

Ventilation does not blow everything all over the trailer.
Isn't one of the main functions of a window to provide ventilation? I'm happy with better ventilation sliders provide.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:51 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRGooding View Post
..Slide-by they have all of the issues the Frameless do not.
The only problems I am aware of with framed windows is the occasional fogging up, which has been not been reported here very often. On the other hand with frameless, let me see...leaks, delamination, rusting exterior hinge, broken crank, crank that opens while moving, windows won't close completely. But hey, they sure look cool!
Old 07-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #28

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
The only problems I am aware of with framed windows is the occasional fogging up, which has been not been reported here very often. On the other hand with frameless, let me see...leaks, delamination, rusting exterior hinge, broken crank, crank that opens while moving, windows won't close completely. But hey, they sure look cool!

Other problems with framed windows: greater thermal transmission = lots more condensation on the frames, unusable in rainy conditions, non-opening rear window. We’ve had both, and much prefer the frameless windows. Both of our small frameless windows suffered those well-reported manufacturing defects, but were fixed under warranty by ETI. Otherwise they’ve been trouble free and work great. Sliders are fine. But I prefer the frameless.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hmmm, perhaps another poll. frame vs frameless?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have windows that open. What's not to like?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 08:36 AM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sounds like lots of people are passionate about both types of windows - how wonderful that Escape offers us a choice!
Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Our kitchen window ( Frameless ) has two issues
1) It has a tendancy to work its way open when traveling
( Took CPA Harley’s advice about using a pool noodle .
I realize it’s not the ideal fix but it works ! )
2) If you open the window more than half way you cannot close it using the knob
I have to stand outside and apply pressure to the window arms while my wife turns the window knob in order to close the window .

Does anyone have a solution to #2 ? .I’ve tried lubricating the window’s operating mechanism but it has not helped . Is there away to adjust the mechanism ? .

Thanks
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have to stand outside and apply pressure to the window arms while my wife turns the window knob in order to close the window .
THIS could be a huge issue for a solo traveler! I hope someone has a solution. I do know if the window isn't opened more than half-way, that would work. BUT, opening more than half-way can, and probably will, happen.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
1) It has a tendancy to work its way open when traveling
( Took CPA Harley’s advice about using a pool noodle .
I realize it’s not the ideal fix but it works ! )

Does anyone have a solution to #2 ? .I’ve tried lubricating the window’s operating mechanism but it has not helped . Is there away to adjust the mechanism ? .

Thanks
Steve D
That is strange. We have the frameless windows and routinely open them all the way. We've never had this issue. Maybe a call or email to ETI?
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have an old style 19 so of course it came with the framed slider windows. Never had any problems with them, so I like them fine. Simple, solid, uncomplicated.

Do remember some condensation issues in real cold weather once. Didn't bother me but I did buy a couple long skinny pillows at WallyWorld for that. If it's hot and raining -rarely rains around here- I open the big emergency escape window and just crack the others a couple inches, for plenty of ventilation. Rain no biggie. When boondocking creating a draft with the maxi-fan works great. If I need more than that I have a $5dollar desk fan that works good.

I rarely deploy my manual awning. (See paragraph 1, sentence 3 above.) Would also never want a back window that opens. Think zero need there. The frameless windows do look great, and the visible caulking on my framed windows does irritate me. I like the light that enters the trailer because my windows are not shady, but are clear. If I don't want a bobcat to jump up on the spare tire and be looking inside at me I just pull down the shades.

My screens never come loose but the big one on the emergency escape awning style window at the bed does, sometimes. That is a pain. Sometimes I forget to close the framed ones before hitting the road. But even if I didn't lock them they do remain closed.

So, if I had to do it all over again, which window style would I choose? Good question.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #36

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
Duct tape to the rescue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
THIS could be a huge issue for a solo traveler! I hope someone has a solution. I do know if the window isn't opened more than half-way, that would work. BUT, opening more than half-way can, and probably will, happen.
No Escape Trailer for me yet, but when I do get one, if I order new. it will, for sure, have frameless windows. If I purchase used, I might get the sliders. If as a solo traveler I was faced with a situation where the frameless window would not shut because it was opened more than half way, I would attach a small strip of duct tape to the outside of the bottom of the window and feed it thru the bottom of the window so I could pull the window in while turning the closing knob. If this is a reoccurring situation that can not be fixed by making the linkage work as it really should, a small stick on knob or ring could be permanently attached to the inside of the glass to pull the window in while working the mechanism. It would be really disappointing to have windows that could not be opened all the way. I always carry duct tape.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #37

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Question

Quote:
1) It has a tendancy to work its way open when traveling. ( Took CPA Harley’s advice about using a pool noodle. I realize it’s not the ideal fix but it works ! )
2) If you open the window more than half way you cannot close it using the knob. I have to stand outside and apply pressure to the window arms while my wife turns the window knob in order to close the window . Does anyone have a solution to #2 ? .I’ve tried lubricating the window’s operating mechanism but it has not helped . Is there away to adjust the mechanism ? Thanks, Steve D
Steve, I hope you're finding answers to your concerns. What is the year and model of your Escape? Your profile doesn't indicate this. As someone who'll be traveling solo in a new 17B come October, it's a serious concern. Thanks … and good luck with getting this problem solved!
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:26 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
I have admired the acrylic windows on the northern lite campers and thought they would be a great cold weather window but I've only seen them from youtube videos. It would be an interesting option especially for the escape hatch.

The obvious downside would be scratches.

Years ago when we still had cabooses at the end of our trains, some of the glass windows on the entry doors were replaced with acrylic. Needless to say heavy industry and acrylic windows don't mix and you could not see out due to all the scratching. We still had other windows but those were the most convenient one to use for if you were walking about.

I'd be more hopeful that they could be kept in good shape on a RV.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post

I'd be more hopeful that they could be kept in good shape on a RV.
I don't think that's possible.

I've used acrylic in boats and for the rear doors of my Ranger canopy. I'm no stranger to caring for acrylic, the canopy on a glider that I fly is a $10,000 item and there's a strong motivation to clean it properly so that it stays scratch free. In that case it works because there's no road grime that will help scratch it up. It's cleaned before flight and covered afterwards.

Within a couple of years, despite being washed gently, the rear acrylic on the Ranger was starting to get scratched up.

I like working with acrylic but using it around road grime doesn't work all that well.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0009_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
Steve, I hope you're finding answers to your concerns. What is the year and model of your Escape? Your profile doesn't indicate this. As someone who'll be traveling solo in a new 17B come October, it's a serious concern. Thanks … and good luck with getting this problem solved!
A 2018 Escape 21 .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote