Gaucho Bunk thoughts & feelings...? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Gaucho Bunk thoughts & feelings...?

Does anyone have a gaucho bunk in their 19' care to give a review? I've found the thread below, but looking for more input.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ption-252.html

Thanks
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is something you need to consider during the build process as ETI needs to add some supports during the build out. I had one in my 19 for possible grandchildren visits. It is nice to have the option.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRINGOandTICA View Post
Does anyone have a gaucho bunk in their 19' care to give a review? I've found the thread below, but looking for more input.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...ption-252.html

Thanks
We have the bunk in our 19'. I think that it was about a $300 option when we bought our Escape, and in the two seasons since we took delivery it has paid for itself many times and we have probably used the bunk more than 60 times. There are usually 3 of us when we use our trailer, and sometimes 4 (my wife, 13yr old daughter, 19yr old son, and I). Almost always we will set up the bunk for the 3rd person to use for sleeping rather than the front dinette. Both my son and daughter have indicated that they feel more comfortable on the bunk than on the dinette bed.

It is pretty easy to set up the bunk, each of the cross poles breaks into two pieces for folding/rolling it up, and the whole thing slips easily into the storage area under the rear bed. Takes about 1-2min to setup or take down. If there are 3 of us, we leave the dinette table setup always, and just make up the bunk above it.

When the bunk is down and stored away, the small brackets on the wall are the only indicator that anything goes in that spot. The brackets are very unobtrusive and do not pose any hazards to banging your head.

I had heard that Escape set the capacity of the bunk at about 200 lbs, but I also heard from one of the Escape employees that unofficially, they have had several of their people sitting on the bunk at one time, well over 200 lbs. I think that the 200 lb limit is very reasonable given the construction.

Overall, we like the bunk and are very happy we got it.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 19'
The cot in the 19' is the bed that I use. I use a memory foam on top of it, and find the cot very comfortable. To me, the cot is much more comfortable than either of the dinette beds ( I have a rear dinette, no permanent bed/mattress).
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #5

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Thanks.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
We concur with Dave ... haven't had a moment of regret after ordering it. When completing our build sheet, we went back and forth on the cot; however, finally decided "in for a penny, in for a pound". Unlike most of the other options, it's not something you can add later. The main users of our cot are our grandsons ... and they love it. Plus, it's nice to have the option of sleeping one more person. (I'll even admit to setting it up for storage once so that our dogs could sleep on the dinette "bed".) The really nice thing about this cot is the fact that it doesn't sag, unlike the hammock-types you usually see. The nylon is quite taut and storage is a breeze.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Trailer: 17b
There seems to be two different options, one called a cot and the other called the gaucho. I believe the 19 has the cot option, and the 17 has the gaucho, the diff being the gaucho has a back that flips up while the cot is a separate deal. The old Burros and such had a gaucho like the 17.

Not trying to be picky, but the gaucho is also different when put down, and it seems like it's more solid when up, as you have an actual foam piece and not canvas.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #8

Since Gringo was referring to the 19', and included a link to a post, I think we're all on the same page. After looking at the original post from Edgar, it might be that ETI originally called it a "gaucho" but later on, changed it to "cot" to differentiate it from the 17' option. (Can't seem to find a photo of the 17' gaucho.)
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
On the ETI website, with the 17' Escape, the option is called a gaucho bunk and costs $350; with the 19' Escape, the option is called a cot and costs $300.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 17b
My point being that the gaucho is NOT the same thing as the cot.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #11

Now I'm really curious ... Anyone know where there's a photo of the 17'er gaucho set up?
Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #12

Found some! http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f4...bunk-2850.html

Tags
bunk, escape 19', gaucho