Graphics color durability ratings - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Meh. I don't mind at all that my trailer advertises the Escape brand. I don't think of it in the same way as the silly nameplates they put on cars at the dealer. First, there are tons of car dealers selling the exact same product, but there's only one ETI. And second, while I don't necessarily want to advertise for a car dealer, I don't mind advertising for Reace and Tammy. Good folks.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
A forum members 2nd gen 21.
Attached Thumbnails
6705B50A-9EB4-47D9-9605-C6DAE1B95BAF.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
I'm choosing colors for graphics, but durability will narrow my selection. No point choosing something nice if it's not the most durable (for my situation).

The graphics color sheet has a few options with icons indicating 2 or 3 yr durability etc, but most colors have no specific durability listed.

ETI told me today "If the graphics do not have a specific year indication they are rated for up to 6 years." I thought it was odd that the colors with specific years listed would be LESS durable that the unlabeled ones.

Can anyone confirm this for me?

EDIT: can I delete this thread? ETI just clarified with a new graphics sheet that has the tiny numbers that denote each durability rating.
I ran the sign shop at a major east coast ski area and used Avery calendared vinyl for the letters on signs there. That was in the late 80s and early 90s and there are still some signs I made looking good today. Fiberglass is a very good medium for applying vinyl. The only thing I do not have experience with is the strong sun in the Southwest US. Vinyl is most susceptible to peeling when exposed to extreme temps. So avoid leaving your camper for years at a time in the desert sun and be very careful when buffing as this can generate enough heat to "burn" the vinyl.
In regard to removing vinyl graphics a hair dryer, loads of patience and a sharp exacto knife to pick at it are key, DO NOT TRY TO SCRAPE IT OFF. You can sometimes buff out the shadows but earlier in the life of the trailer is definitely better.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:31 PM   #24

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
I ran the sign shop at a major east coast ski area and used Avery calendared vinyl for the letters on signs there. That was in the late 80s and early 90s and there are still some signs I made looking good today. Fiberglass is a very good medium for applying vinyl. The only thing I do not have experience with is the strong sun in the Southwest US. Vinyl is most susceptible to peeling when exposed to extreme temps. So avoid leaving your camper for years at a time in the desert sun and be very careful when buffing as this can generate enough heat to "burn" the vinyl.
In regard to removing vinyl graphics a hair dryer, loads of patience and a sharp exacto knife to pick at it are key, DO NOT TRY TO SCRAPE IT OFF. You can sometimes buff out the shadows but earlier in the life of the trailer is definitely better.
Where SouthernCamper lives probably has strong sunlight. I know Florida can be very hard on vinyl graphics. They will fade and crack in a few years if not protected. As far as the shadow. I removed the advertising decals for one of the big RV dealers off of one of our previous RV's that had been on a few years. You could see where it was the first few months then it gradually faded to where you had to know exactly where it was to see it. And after 2 years it was no longer visible. Hopefully the same would happen on our Escape if I ever find the need to remove them.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't mind the no graphics look, but do prefer a little more pizzazz. While I like the graphics they have been using, I was hoping for a bit more of a change with the new models.

But as others have said, to each their own. There is no wrong way to do it, the trailer works the same either way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Others opted for no install during production.
I think the most durable choice is no graphics. I did not install on 2004 Casita when I purchased it and never regretted it. As Rossue stated I fall in the "Others" category and will not have graphics applied on my soon to be built 5.0TA with standard black trim around the center.

Everyone has there own preference and not saying anyone is right or wrong, but for me I like the clean naked look.

I posted a thread some time back asking if anyone on this forum wanted my graphics to replace their old ones. No one took me up on the offer.

I have not signed my build sheet yet, but will be any day now so might still be time to let ETI know as I have until 2/2/2018 to make changes. If anyone is interested in getting free graphics (you pay shipping) let me know so ETI can order them. Would just need to know the color for 5.0TA model. Would be good opportunity to change colors. My completion date is 5/2/2018. This is if ETI can or will order them at this point, but don't see why not.

I've attached picture of 5.0TA I found on this forum. Do not remember who it belonged to, but other than it being classic model will be what mine will look like.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
No Graphics 5.0TA.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
FYI - My graphics have been spoken for.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:17 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Thanks for the sheet. Glad I don’t have a thing for
Silver iguana. Probably be 6 months.
Iowa Dave
And my favorite, Iguana Green, only good for a year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:21 AM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
I peeled the side graphics off 5 years after production and left the Escape badging in place. The gel coat was protected from fading under the graphics so it left a very cool and subtle ghost image.
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
I think I just attached the graphics sheets with durability in years. Who has gotten the extra durable Avery 900 film versus the standard 700? How long are your graphics lasting? Peeling graphics would really age a trailer.
We ordered the 900 series and paid an upcharge. Quite possibly it was overkill and we will never see the ROI, but at the time it seemed like the thing to do.
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:56 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I took the graphics off of our 19' about a year after new using warm water. Wasn't a huge deal to do but took a while. I replaced them with another color.

On the 21', we received a credit for no graphics. Did not want the big "Escape 21" on the front. We put some little graphics of our own. Used a small "Escape" graphic left over from 19' graphics on the driver's side. Requested their spare cover with their company name and maple leaf. Saw the credit for no graphics went down after ours and now maybe none.
Attached Thumbnails
P1130611.jpg  
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:08 PM   #32

Trailer: 21' 2018
I've had enough experience and read enough about ETI to want to support them too.

If you removed your graphics, did you remove them out of preference or damage? (some of you already said why)

The 21' with nothing looks like a really fancy snow fort The 5.0 with just the belly band looks amazing! Is black the standard color?

I wonder what it would be like to remove the front graphics (we'll have a front window anyway, which makes the graphics a bit on and a bit off), leave the belly band, and leave the Escape name graphics elsewhere?

Anyone have a photo of a non 5.0 with just the belly band and nothing else?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
I'm choosing colors for graphics, but durability will narrow my selection. ............
IMO, exposure to ultraviolet radiation is the biggest determinant of fading color. So, when we apply our choice of protectant to the gelcoat finish (our choice is Aero 303), we make sure to liberally apply it to all decal areas. 2½ years in with Teal: bright and shiny; no apparent fading.

P.S. I notice that red automobiles (and colors with red in the mix) seem to show the most fading. And of course, Forest Green is the best absorber of solar radiation, so why does it not show fading as fast?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Perhaps it has to do with the non-linear sensitivity our eyes have to different wavelengths of light. The human eye is about 30 times more sensitive to green wavelengths than red. That’s why green lasers seem so much brighter than red ones of the same output.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Perhaps it has to do with the non-linear sensitivity our eyes have to different wavelengths of light. The human eye is about 30 times more sensitive to green wavelengths than red. That’s why green lasers seem so much brighter than red ones of the same output.
Yup. It was so nice on the eyes when school went from blackboards to green 'blackboards'! oh, sorry: back in the day we used something called chalk (CaCO3) to make marks on blackboards, to communicate our wrong answers in math and english classes.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #36

We won't get the front graphic, as we're getting the front window and it's off center anyway.

My husband wants just the black belly band and the little Escape graphics. I want the same but with the swirly, just to kind of break it up.

We'll go with black or one of the darker grays. I like battleship gray but I'm concerned about it looking too close to black, at least in photos?

ETI plans on having a custom cover available sometime soon, somewhere in the $300-500 range. We'll get this when it comes out.

Anything to sway us to get or not get the swirls?
Old 01-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Like my contractor used to say when asking him for help in making a subjective decsion: "doesn't make any difference to me"(just make up your mind).
Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Like my contractor used to say when asking him for help in making a subjective decsion: "doesn't make any difference to me"(just make up your mind).
Yeah, yeah. I need a vacation from all of this! Doesn't help that were remodeling the kitchen at the same time! I'm considering posting my build sheet for critique before signing, but I don't know if I can handle opening it up to consideration!
Old 01-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

We'll go with black or one of the darker grays. I like battleship gray but I'm concerned about it looking too close to black, at least in photos?

Anything to sway us to get or not get the swirls?
When I was at Escape I took the “Battleship” sample outside in the light and it was very close to my dark grey Ford F-150. It is not black.
It is always easier to take the swirls off (or a part of them) than put them on...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I took the graphics off of our 19' about a year after new using warm water. Wasn't a huge deal to do but took a while. I replaced them with another color.

On the 21', we received a credit for no graphics. Did not want the big "Escape 21" on the front. We put some little graphics of our own. Used a small "Escape" graphic left over from 19' graphics on the driver's side. Requested their spare cover with their company name and maple leaf. Saw the credit for no graphics went down after ours and now maybe none.
I'm so visual it's hard for me to imagine. this camper has words with no black belly band. does anyone have a photo of the black belly band and the words, but no swirly?