Gravel Roads? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
Gravel Roads?

Hi, We are hoping to take our future 19' or 21' Escape up the Alaska Highway. Is that realistic?
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Hi, We are hoping to take our future 19' or 21' Escape up the Alaska Highway. Is that realistic?
It sure is. Most of the road is paved, except where they are fixing it. I made a trip towing a 17 with a RAV4 & friends towing a Scamp 16 with a Tacoma Sienna van. No problems, and a wonderful trip: 2015 Alaska Tripl
Old 11-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Dee

I just looked at your photos from your epic 3 month trip - I'm getting excited to go. I gather the Alaska Highway is now paved most of the way so now problems there. Excellent!
There are other places that we'd like to go where the roads are gravel. Plenty of the secondary roads in BC are gravel for 100km or more. Or places like the Dempster Highway. Is that realistic?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just go.
Stow heavy items down low, light items in upper cabinets.
Bungee cords can secure cupboard doors and fridge door.
Attached Thumbnails
Skagit washboard.jpg   Rock pile.jpg   Cattle road.jpg   Coquihalla summit.jpg  
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #5

Use bungee cords or straps.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge bungee.jpg   zap strap.JPG  
Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Dee

Awesome! Those photos show pretty much exactly what we want to do. We will go! My husband Robin wants to know if those are fishing boats on your roof?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I gather the Alaska Highway is now paved most of the way so now problems there.

Or places like the Dempster Highway. Is that realistic?
Lot's of Escapes have done the Alaska Hwy. But a note of caution is required. It's about the same as driving cross country. You're going to have lots of good road, some not so good road and then there's construction areas that can be tedious and road damaged by frost heaves.

The Dempster Hwy. is a different kettle of fish. Crushed rock and it's been known to cut tires. Also the Top of the World Hwy. is well worth doing but we did cut a truck tire on one crushed rock section.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6060116_resize.jpg   P6180504_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 PM   #8

Those are Buck's Bags Southfork pontoon boats for fishing. Can use flippers and/or oars.
Attached Thumbnails
bass2.jpg  
Old 11-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
As mentioned earlier, the alaska highway route is fully paved short of construction area. The road from Burwash landing to the border is pretty bad due to frost heaves and ruts, be prepared to go much slower in that stretch and when you see a rough road indicator, believe it!

Roads in AK are pretty well maintained but there will be lots of construction. You will likely experience some pretty aggressive driving on the seward/sterling highways and best bet is to pull off frequently and let people pass. I could be 10 over the speed limit and it doesn't matter, they just have to pass you because if you are in an RV. Far less of an issue when away from the south central area. A trip to Homer is still worth the traffic and crazy drivers though.

Top of the world highway is beautiful and from Chicken towards the AK highway junction it is a good chip sealed surface. Chicken to the border can get snotty if its been raining and the shoulders are soft. Canadian side to the yukon river runs fair to good.

Do pack some extra tools such as gorilla tape, extra zip ties, tire repair kit etc.. It can be spendy to get assistance between towns along the road. Never had a problem but I like to be stocked for basic road breakdowns as there is not much cell service in the yukon territory away from Whitehorse and some other communities.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive up here. If you come give yourself a lot of time to take in the sights.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Do pack some extra tools such as gorilla tape, extra zip ties, tire repair kit etc.. It can be spendy to get assistance between towns along the road. Never had a problem but I like to be stocked for basic road breakdowns as there is not much cell service in the yukon territory away from Whitehorse and some other communities.

I second that. I had a tire repair kit at home but didn't take it with me. It cost a few dollars. I paid $27.00 for one. We found the cellphone booster was a great help on the long stretches between cell service. Get a signal earlier and keep it longer.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I agree with bungee cording things that might open. We had more cabinet door problems with twists in the paved sections than bumps in the gravel parts. A couple of other suggestions:

No matter how warm, don't leave a trailer window open. The dust will get sucked in and cover everything. Watch for cones of flags identifying frost heaves in the paved sections. Miss one, and you can get all the trailer wheels off the ground at once!

Stop at Liard River Hot Springs Provincial Park, and Chena Hot Springs Resort (which, at least for camping, is anything but a resort, but nice hot springs). Both were great breaks to sit & soak. A couple of the nicest hot springs I've visited.