Hesitant thread, delay/cancel production date? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2017, 11:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 21' 2018
Hesitant thread, delay/cancel production date?

So, it's become obvious that I might need abdominal surgery sometime in the near future, like this year. I'm a young mom, and my husband is 1 of 2 people in a family start-up business. Long-story short: we get short on hands really quickly around here.

Our production date is July 12, completion date October 12. Today my husband expressed concerns about:
#1 getting the camper to South Louisiana by either spending $5500 to have it shipped or some combination of shipping and meeting if halfway if I'm either having some problems pre-surgery, or dealing with whatever comes after surgery.
#2 just the general unknown of making this big decision when we're a little crazy around here trying to figure out what will happen with me.
#3 he wanted to make a special area to keep the camper happy here at home (maybe gravel, maybe an extended concrete slab, some additional fencing, etc) and he's concerned about that additional stress of trying to manage all of that while we've got a big issue in the wind.

My take is that after staying in hotel at the Mayo Clinic this year, I would be happy to be able to sleep in our own home away from home camper if I needed surgery out of state. That being said, I see his valid reservations.

Any input? Any options besides completely dropping out? Our original completion date was December, which would give us more time to get our heads on straight, but this was happily moved up when production increased this year. I don't want to lose our October born camper, I would love to stay in it after surgery vs a hotel, but I'm trying to see the best option.

Has anyone ever switched production dates? We're really last minute here, July 12th is around the corner. Waiting on response from ETI on options...
SouthernCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCamper View Post
So, it's become obvious that I might need abdominal surgery sometime in the near future, like this year. I'm a young mom, and my husband is 1 of 2 people in a family start-up business. Long-story short: we get short on hands really quickly around here.

Our production date is July 12, completion date October 12. Today my husband expressed concerns about:
#1 getting the camper to South Louisiana by either spending $5500 to have it shipped or some combination of shipping and meeting if halfway if I'm either having some problems pre-surgery, or dealing with whatever comes after surgery.
#2 just the general unknown of making this big decision when we're a little crazy around here trying to figure out what will happen with me.
#3 he wanted to make a special area to keep the camper happy here at home (maybe gravel, maybe an extended concrete slab, some additional fencing, etc) and he's concerned about that additional stress of trying to manage all of that while we've got a big issue in the wind.

My take is that after staying in hotel at the Mayo Clinic this year, I would be happy to be able to sleep in our own home away from home camper if I needed surgery out of state. That being said, I see his valid reservations.

Any input? Any options besides completely dropping out? Our original completion date was December, which would give us more time to get our heads on straight, but this was happily moved up when production increased this year. I don't want to lose our October born camper, I would love to stay in it after surgery vs a hotel, but I'm trying to see the best option.

Has anyone ever switched production dates? We're really last minute here, July 12th is around the corner. Waiting on response from ETI on options...
Very sorry to hear about your health issues, and wishing you a speedy recovery!

You're on the right track contacting Escape about it. They have always seemed very accommodating and I'm pretty sure they will either let you swap production dates, or perhaps let you store the completed trailer at ETI until you're able to pick up.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
My trailer was ready in Fall 2013 but ETI stored it over the winter and I picked it up the following April. So unless something has changed, they will store it for you.

Good luck to you.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 AM   #4

I forgot about the storage fact. Thank you. That may seal the deal for us.

Another aspect is the chance that we may decide that it's just too much to commit to right now, as we have only a week before we're in production and are pretty unsure what our year looks like. I've read posts asking to trade production dates with others on the list. Is this actually done, are we too close to production to make this move?
Old 07-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

Another aspect is the chance that we may decide that it's just too much to commit to right now, as we have only a week before we're in production and are pretty unsure what our year looks like. I've read posts asking to trade production dates with others on the list. Is this actually done, are we too close to production to make this move?
You can't arrange with another member to trade dates. Only ETI can do that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I've read posts asking to trade production dates with others on the list. Is this actually done, are we too close to production to make this move?
It's all up to Escape, but I think that would be doable, provided they have a future owner who has already completed their build sheet and could move on short notice. As always, Escape would give you the best answer.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Adrienne, try give Tammy a call. Ask what options you have. They are very understanding and probably will help in every way they can.
Really hope you are going to be okay!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Don't stress over this if it doesn't work right now it's ok you can do it later what's important is your health and your happiness contact Escape they will work with you. I changed my mind several times you need to do what is right for you right now - it's all yours it's just a matter of timing.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Don't stress over this if it doesn't work right now it's ok you can do it later what's important is your health and your happiness contact Escape they will work with you. I changed my mine several times you need to do what right for you right now it's all yours it's just a matter of timing.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I suppose if it doesn't happen RIGHT NOW it will be OK. I hate staying in hotels, but suppose that's a small price to pay vs causing more family stress. Good message, thank you!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:29 AM   #10

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Sorry to hear of your potential surgery and dilemma.
This is from the Escape website regarding storage -

"If you are unable to pick the trailer up once it is finished we will be more than happy to store your trailer free of charge for 3 months ($100.00cdn/month after that) until you are able to pick it up or have it delivered. Please note with this option your trailer warranty does not take affect until you take possession of the trailer."
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: 17
You'd need trailer insurance to store at escape. Or they highly recommend it. I forget the wording.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm sure Escape can push you back in the queue, something that is rare since most want to move their position sooner, but delaying will help your plans plus your warranty start is delayed.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
My trailer was ready in Fall 2013 but ETI stored it over the winter and I picked it up the following April. So unless something has changed, they will store it for you.

Good luck to you.
ETI has changed the storage option. This info is under the Production Schedule page:

If you are unable to pick the trailer up once it is finished we will be more than happy to store your trailer free of charge for 3 months ($100.00cdn/month after that) until you are able to pick it up or have it delivered. Please note with this option your trailer warranty does not take affect until you take possession of the trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Good luck with your decisions, one way or the other.

One thing I'm wondering that you didn't mention. Have you completed your build sheet? If so, that will take one level of stress off everyone. If not, then asking for a later completion date might be better.

When you get the trailer, does it need this spiffy parking spot/place right away? Can that be done later on? We're still working on one of the two places where we can park our truck and trailer. If it can be done later, but the trailer can still be parked at your place, that would take another level of stress away.

And I definitely agree with staying in your trailer over a hotel during the surgery time. You and your family member (or whomever is with you) will have a nice place to stay both before and during the surgery. And you'll probably get lots better food than at a hotel or restaurant or hospital. And lots easier to fix brown bag lunches. The hospital might have recommendations on nice, nearby camping places.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19'
I'm sure there are people who will be happy to swap production date with you (I know I would, except my production date is in August now) as long as Escape allows it. Best to as them and see what can be done.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Good luck with your decisions, one way or the other.

One thing I'm wondering that you didn't mention. Have you completed your build sheet? If so, that will take one level of stress off everyone. If not, then asking for a later completion date might be better.

When you get the trailer, does it need this spiffy parking spot/place right away? Can that be done later on? We're still working on one of the two places where we can park our truck and trailer. If it can be done later, but the trailer can still be parked at your place, that would take another level of stress away.

And I definitely agree with staying in your trailer over a hotel during the surgery time. You and your family member (or whomever is with you) will have a nice place to stay both before and during the surgery. And you'll probably get lots better food than at a hotel or restaurant or hospital. And lots easier to fix brown bag lunches. The hospital might have recommendations on nice, nearby camping places.
These are my thoughts. Plus, after a month in a hotel (already did this once in April) that's a good chunk of cash that could've gone to the camper. If we do it again, we'll that much more away again :/

That being said, I told my husband that we don't need a perfect spot for the camper at home immediately, but he really wants it done first. And who am I to add more stress?!
Old 07-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
That being said, I told my husband that we don't need a perfect spot for the camper at home immediately, but he really wants it done first. And who am I to add more stress?!
Careful that you don't stress YOURSELF. Especially when you're facing the possibility of hospitalization. I'm sure you and the great folks at ETI can work something out. The key is to focus on your health right now, not stressing over the trailer.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Careful that you don't stress YOURSELF. Especially when you're facing the possibility of hospitalization. I'm sure you and the great folks at ETI can work something out. The key is to focus on your health right now, not stressing over the trailer.
This is very true.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #19

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:

check with ETI..before your build is due
1. they may charge $200 to move a production date out if a slot is available....
2. cancel your production date before the build is due ..get a refund for $2000 CDN and ETI will keep the $500 CDN for up to year in case you reorder..so if you plan on moving the date beyond the end of the year then this might be a good option as it preserves your deposit, but of course the new year may or may not bring price increases and such....

and then there is the exchange rate roulette....and just to keep it interesting , there is several major analyst now predicting the next oil bust back to about $25 a barrel 1st qtr of 2018!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #20

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Another thought on this parking area. In Seattle an organization called The Millionaire Club will hire out people for odd-jobs. We got several guys in to help build our first retaining wall, as well as the second one. You pay the organization and get the guys lunch. We gave them a tip as well.

I've found people via the internet that will do odd-jobs for you. One guy and his daughter assembled an Ikea bed that I wanted put up while Dirk was out of the country.

Meaning - look around and see if there's an organization or people looking for odd-job work that can help hubby build the special trailer parking spot. That could help with the needing spare hands situation.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote