High Lift Axle (or not)? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have high-lift on my classic 17B.
Steps are at about 10 and 20". Hasn't been an issue for me.
Attached Thumbnails
step.jpg  
Old 06-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #22

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Thank you for the further description!
I think I know the adjustable step stool/platform you mean.
Thanks Again! - Susan
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:53 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
We have the high lift on our 21 and I like it and would get it again. It gives a lot of peace of mind if you straddle road debris, you are turning [or backing] and the wheels on one side go into a dip or ditch, or you are on a dirt road that has wear and the center of the road is higher than the tracks your tires are in [my driveway].
My wife are both rather short and have not had any issues with the height of the step.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
We have the high lift on our 21 and I like it and would get it again. It gives a lot of peace of mind if you straddle road debris, you are turning [or backing] and the wheels on one side go into a dip or ditch, or you are on a dirt road that has wear and the center of the road is higher than the tracks your tires are in [my driveway].
My wife are both rather short and have not had any issues with the height of the step.
Your axle is the same height, high center will hit that first, no matter how many spacers you put between it and trailer.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Your axle is the same height, high center will hit that first, no matter how many spacers you put between it and trailer.
Few people realize this. I've seen trailers from the back where the body is up HIGH and think... but the axle tube is in the same place What does help with the hi-lift is the plumbing is also raised.

IF someone truly is looking to go the back roads and the worry of the axle tube is a concern, they should look into Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension - Timbren Industries Inc. Suspension Products
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #26

Trailer: none
So what is the advantage of the high lift, then?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Driving a forest service road in my RAV4 with the weight distribution hitch installed, but no trailer, we came across trenches across the road. They were for rain water ( I'm guessing ) and were maybe a foot deep and a couple feet wide. Each time the rear wheels hit the bottom of the trench, the WDH hit the edge of the trench.

Since the trenches were inconsistent, I turned around. No way of knowing how deep the next one might be.
My trailer wasn't tested at all, but it has more clearance than the RAV anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Chataway roads.jpg  
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
So what is the advantage of the high lift, then?
Better frame and shell clearance, and it raises the plumbing a bit higher as well. Glenn points out a possible benefit as well with front or rear clearance in a dip.

There are disadvantages however with a higher step, higher profile meaning a bit more wind resistance, and perhaps aesthetics. I like the lower profile, and have no need to raise it.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about the axle - it's fairly tough and can handle hitting a little dirt. The grey / fresh water tanks and plumbing - not so much!

I also don't like that grinding sound that you get going down an inclined driveway. The high lift helps a little.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #30

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Better frame and shell clearance, and it raises the plumbing a bit higher as well. Glenn points out a possible benefit as well with front or rear clearance in a dip.

There are disadvantages however with a higher step, higher profile meaning a bit more wind resistance, and perhaps aesthetics. I like the lower profile, and have no need to raise it.

Thank you for the explanation! Sounds like most people do fine without the high-lift but I'm wondering how hard it would be to accomplish if one decided it was needed later on?
Hilola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:16 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
I have the high lift on a 2017 5.0TA and am happy I got it. The additional 2 2/3" height on the step doesn't bother me or my wife, we both hike. I like the less bending aspect for hooking up the plumbing, getting the slinky into and out of the tube and lowering the stabilizer bars. I use the Anderson Jack Blocks under the front jacks. I don't think the mpg penalty is noticeable with the fifth wheel.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
I'm wondering how hard it would be to accomplish if one decided it was needed later on?
The high lift option is one of those items that is super easy to add later. ETI will do it for a couple hundred bucks, or I’m sure any good mechanic could do it too.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:45 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
ETI did our Escape 21 high lift installation POST production for about $500 Canadian. At the time of manufacturing it is a lot cheaper (? $300). In our case they had to cut away some of the foam insulation on the bottom of the trailer to do the upgrade and then reapply foam.

We just used our Escape a week ago on some pretty rough road and I was glad to have the extra clearance to make up for the clearance lost with foam insulation. There were some very deep holes and I went extremely slow to avoid damage to the trailer and contents.

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:06 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
High Lift is not about clearing obstacles. It is about approach and departure angles. Consider your trailer a teeter totter with the wheels as the pivot. If you raise the teeter totter, it will pivot to a steeper angle before one end hits the ground. This will improve your ability to cross arroyos. The longer your trailer, the more important it is to have high lift.