High Lift Axle vs Steep Driveway - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
High Lift Axle vs Steep Driveway

Okay, I've read about the high lift axle and kind of forgot/ignored many of the posts. I know it's available on the 21 (for an extra 300 bucks). I know it can be used if you're worried about clearance in certain road conditions.

But, what I don't remember is if it'll help you get your trailer up and down a steeper driveway. Instead of parking the trailer in the flat gravel area, yesterday we were talking about backing it down the driveway. That way another vehicle will be in front of it most of the time and it'll be that much harder to "borrow".

I could not tell you the angle of the driveway. It's compacted gravel and it's steep enough that if you have to stop for passing traffic, you spin gravel all over the place unless you back farther down and start over again.

yeah, not technical, but it's the best I can do. We're still looking at our options, so I thought I'd toss that out into the mix. Dirk doesn't think the few inches higher axle will make a difference. I'm wondering what others that have it have to say about it. Or know far more about it than we do.

Thanks much gang!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Yes, the "lift" raises the whole trailer (other than the axle/suspension itself), so it raises both the bumper and the tongue & hitch (which might drag when the trailer wheels are in the dip a the bottom of the driveway).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
If I read this correct, you are transitioning from flat/level to downhill . If that's the case not too sure a lift kit will help . If the transition is from level/flat to uphill……High lift axel will help. Or place blocks/boards at the low point of the transition ( gutter)

If you are spinning your wheels on your car as you exit due to the steepness…. You might need four wheel drive to pull the trailer out ?
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
If I read this correct, you are transitioning from flat/level to downhill . If that's the case not too sure a lift kit will help . If the transition is from level/flat to uphill……High lift axel will help. Or place blocks/boards at the low point of the transition ( gutter)

If you are spinning your wheels on your car as you exit due to the steepness…. You might need four wheel drive to pull the trailer out ?
Yep, we'd back the trailer down the driveway and pull it straight out. Yeah, we have to use 4x4 some times to get out of the driveway but it's way better than it used to be (crappy surface of dirt, some gravel and ratty blacktop stuff that was laid down years ago). And yeah, we'd probably use it to pull it out.

We're gonna get a new Tundra to pull it with. At this rate and if the trailer isn't coming earlier than hoped for, it'll probably be a 2017 model!
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #5

Quote:
If I read this correct, you are transitioning from flat/level to downhill . If that's the case not too sure a lift kit will help .
Oops, I missed that. It does look like the driveway slopes down from the road (rather than the more common up from the road), and I agree that in that case a lift kit won't help much. If the trailer frame between coupler and axle drags on the edge of the road, a trailer lift will help a little, but this isn't usually a big problem.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

I was pretty much thinking along the same line on both accounts. That reversing into a drop does not require a raised axle, and getting out could be tough, given a car spins out.

I had the high lift on my 19, and really did not need it, even when travelling rough roads.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Oops, I missed that. It does look like the driveway slopes down from the road (rather than the more common up from the road), and I agree that in that case a lift kit won't help much. If the trailer frame between coupler and axle drags on the edge of the road, a trailer lift will help a little, but this isn't usually a big problem.
Yep, it drops down below the road level. We might still park it on the upper, level gravel area, but we're exploring options right now.

There's only so much I can purchase for it. So, gotta do something while I'm impatiently waiting for it to get into the production queue.

Thanks for your replies, guys.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 21C
The high lift axle was one of my questionable options also, Reece said it could be added later.
Something to check into.
nrthwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Does anyone know the hitch ball height difference between the standard and the high lift?
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Does anyone know the hitch ball height difference between the standard and the high lift?
2 5/8" (67 mm), according to the Dexter Axle web page for the #10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-02)... which I believe is the kit being used currently by Escape.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
2 5/8" (67 mm), according to the Dexter Axle web page for the #10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-02)... which I believe is the kit being used currently by Escape.
Yes, I had the high lift option installed at the factory on my 21 and it does measure 2 5/8" ETI say's the standard height is 19"
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote