How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Sorry, no useful input on the box question that hasn't already been covered, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
we're picking ours up on the 18th/ JAN, storage box that is, to add to our 19'. we spent 7 month living in our rig this summer and really could use the space for all of the above mentioned items. Especially the propane grill/ BBQ. storing it under the bed was a royal PITA.

We got the large size propane tank cover and rigged it on the small tanks. This gave us enough space to put the chocks and a extension cord. looking forwards to the full on box!!!

steve

flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't speak for the 21, but for our 19 it was not even available, and we did not miss it at all. In fact, we had very little in the tow vehicle, and still had space left in the trailer. All our outside stuff went in the storage hatch.

I for one MUCH prefer the look without, though do understand the need for some people to bring lots of stuff. Just like at home, the more space you have, the more you bring. Sometimes I wonder what the heck I am going to have to dream up to bring to fill my 5.0TA. I may need to get a bigger truck.

Not a wrong opinion, just another one. I say this hoping not to get flamed (again) for my thoughts on this.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
The front storage box looks cool, but how practical is it? What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
The box also protects the front of trailer . The front of box has like line-ex or similar finish on it . After 2 years no damage or chips . Otherwise you will get just vinyl snapped on which will need to be replaced once in awhile . The storage box ,our favorite option which we weren't originally going to get at first because of cost . Now so glad we did . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 15A
We have the font storage box and love it.
Use it for all the reasons stated by others.
The one big factor that made the decision easy for us was the fact that the box has the protective coating on it which effectively protects the front of the trailer. I believe at the time of purchase for our trailer ETI offered a paint coating for the front of the trailer for $500, the box cost $700 easy decision at the time. Also having a small trailer the storage was very important to us.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
The extra insulation and thermal windows were #1, the foam insulation was #2, and the storage box was #3. And I can't add a single thing to the pros of the storage box except that I wouldn't be without it. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I agree with everything Leon said, and I use the storage box the same way. The box is made of fiberglass and the lid keeps rain out, but I can't say it's watertight; I think there might be drain holes.
Finally glad to hear of others who have had water come into the box. A couple of years ago I posted about water coming into our box and no others acknowledged that they had that problem as well.
We recently completed a trip down to Arizona and back and hit one incredible rain storm while passing through Seattle area in late Nov. We had a lot of water come into the box, but it was one mother of a rain storm.
We also had mega rain storm while returning back north through Washington State mid Dec. Hardly any water came into the box this time. Not sure why?
Our tow vehicle has a short wheel base and I thought maybe that could be one factor that causes excess water to come up off the rear tires and spray onto the front of the box??
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancenadine View Post
I am considering however, a front enclosure that will encompass the batteries and the propane tanks mainly to keep prying eyes off.
Jim, who'd ever have the nerve to flame you Although, maybe it'd be fair to say after you're retired and making longer trips than you do now your perspective on what to take with you may change.

I made a front enclosure on the Scamp for the same reason plus a battery and propane tank sitting out on the tongue looked ugly to me. Managed to get in an extra battery, some chocks and the tongue wheel.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06-04-2012 3-24-09 PM 006_resize.JPG (329.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 08-04-2012 12-54-50 PM 003_resize.JPG (273.2 KB, 19 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
If you drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the box to improve drainage, and fill the box with ice, it makes an excellent cooler (albeit uninsulated). It sure can hold a lot of beer on a hot day.b

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:27 AM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
In addition to chocks, blocks, and etc., we also carry an old dog food bag which we use to collect our recyclables until we're at a campground with a recycling bin. All of these things were carried in the back of our pickup when we had the Casita. It's much tidier to have them in the storage box. YMMV