How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19
How do you use your front storage box? Or do you use that space for something else?

The front storage box looks cool, but how practical is it? What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?

Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
If I could only get one option on my escape trailer, it would be the storage box. We usif to keep our electrical cord, our city water hose (in a hose bag), our x-chocks, the long handled socket that is used to lower the stabilizers, a couple of folding chairs, the Andersen levelers, and probably a couple more things I can't remember right now. i am sure all this stuff could go somewhere else, but we prefer the storage box for these things, especially if they are wet.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I agree with everything Leon said, and I use the storage box the same way. The box is made of fiberglass and the lid keeps rain out, but I can't say it's watertight; I think there might be drain holes. A sticker on mine says there is a weight limit of 100 pounds of what you can store in it, so I use it for bulky items that are likely to get wet and nasty, but aren't too heavy.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Chocks, blocks, hitch ball grease, WDH arms, sewer items and a few other things.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
I store much the same as others have mentioned. While it is dry when stopped, some water gets in when driving in heavy rain. I drilled a couple of 3/16" holes in the bottom corners to drain what leaks in.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17b/RAV4 (sold) 2012 Chevy Colorado
We add our BBQ to the front storage box in addition to items others have mentioned. Has two drainage holes in the bottom. VERY glad to have it.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Believe our new box came with holes in the bottom. Old one did not have them and it collected water.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
What do you put in it? Is it waterproof? Did anyone out there weld, bolt or crazy glue a platform in it's place to tote a generator, in law or something else smelly?
Can't imagine not having one for our type of traveling for the same reasons others have given.

I made my own. To answer your question about a platform: I made my own box. Prior to my trailer ETI welded on two pieces of angle iron for the battery to sit on if the person didn't order a box. Or maybe they did that anyway, don't know. Since I knew that I'd want to remove them I asked if they could only bolt the angle iron on to save me having to hack it off later. (Trailer has to leave ETI with functioning electrical system)

They bolted the battery support angle iron on and Dennis commented that from now on that's what they would doing on all trailers.

So, if you want to put a plywood platform etc. in this area, no problem.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28-04-2014 5-19-12 PM1_resize.jpg (127.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg P4280081_resize.jpg (151.5 KB, 26 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
My response is similar to other posters. The front box is for "outside" stuff. I'd hate to be without the front storage box - besides I think it looks cool!

I suppose how you use the box will depend on how many people are camping with you and the available storage in your tow vehicle and trailer. We are happy to use our truck bed for all kinds of things like camp chairs, bbcue and so forth. It's just my beloved wife and I in our sweet little 17b. So far we have lots of available storage space inside the trailer that we haven't used.

Ron, your workmanship looks wonderful. I'm in awe!!

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 19' - "Tramper"
We opted not to go with the storage box. I had a hard time with the cost and the limited space that was provided. They do look good on the trailers though.
Having a truck negates needing storage on the trailer tongue. I have a dry box in the truck box for miscellaneous items.
I am considering however, a front enclosure that will encompass the batteries and the propane tanks mainly to keep prying eyes off.

lancenadine is offline   Reply With Quote