How to deliver materials to Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 in process - former AS 77 Globetrotter
How to deliver materials to Escape?

We've placed our order for a 21 (YAY!) and wish to use custom fabrics. Any tips for getting materials to Chilliwack from US? (Allegedly, hypothetically, someone may have found a gorgeous basil plant in Chilliwack that was not allowed to cross the border with us … here's hoping a Border Patrol Officer is enjoying some pesto). Want to make sure we can get materials to Chilliwack without too much fuss. Do we have it delivered? Order from a BC company? Thanks in advance for any wisdom!
lohlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
My flooring was purchased from a company near ETI. My fabric was purchased from a company in Florida and shipped to ETI. My sink was purchased from Amazon and shipped to ETI after it was approved first by ETI.

You can order samples and fabric from Sailrite dot com.

I am taking Umbra hooks with me for ETI to install during orientation.

If you want something that isn’t stock be sure to get it approved by ETI first. I hope this helps.
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We visited JT’s Outdoor Fabrics in Barrie, Ontario, when we attended the Niagara Wine Rally. They had all brands, and we ended up ordering the fabric from them with free shipping to Chilliwack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4301.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	31517

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Leroy, you have more options than we did because of your location in Washington State. We used Sailrite, and they shipped to Escape for a reasonable shipping charge. If you do decide to ship internationally, make sure to get the receipts for the duties imposed. You can later file for a reimbursement since the trailer is for export.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i made an extra trip up to Chilliwack to drop off my stuff (sink fabric etc..) and brought the table pedestal, hooks, TV, etc... to orientation. The counter top and floor were ordered in Chilliwack. The extra trip was nice to look over the display trailer, (be sure all was correct) sign off on my build sheet, and hand them my last payment. Also i brought my truck to Trademasters to schedule / discuss the hitch installment details. Lucky to live in WA so not a long trip.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 2006 17' Casita SD sold 2018
I selected upholstery fabric from Old Trail Fabric.com. Excellent service. The international shipping was $128. I thought that was pricey but I couldn't find what I was looking for from Canada. If you chose custom make sure you find out when ETI needs it to be there. Hope that helps.
Kathy
Kare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 21 foot
lohsen-
i ordered from my local fabric shop in my town and ups shipped it.. just put in material and it was received to ETI no problem, I also have sent a faucet as well... no problem.. UPS can do it all... just make sure you fill out the international form! good luck
Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the help and suggestions. My wife, Jenn, was wondering about this so I told her about this forum and posed the question. I think she was up pretty late one night after posing her question reading all the information on this subject and others. Do the married couples share one user name on this forum?

With regard to bringing materials up, we asked the Canadian border person about bringing items to Canada for this build on our recent trip to Chiliwack, and there is a process. However, we would like to avoid the extra time spent crossing the border and possible extra taxes that would be paid and then refunded...yikes.

We ended up spending an extra hour with our pup locked in a kennel coming back to the US because of a $5 basil plant !!!! Welcome to the USA!!!

For those of you shipping direct, were there extra taxes or was it pretty seamless?

My wife is going for the "leather" look. With kiddos, we want something that looks nice but is easy to clean. I forget the brand but I'll have her login as me and share. She has several samples coming our way. Our build is for the summer for a fall pickup so we have some time.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:25 PM   #9

yes we learned never bring live plants across the boarder!! no issue with bringing my sink/fabric/hooks/ table pedestal over the boarder.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:37 PM   #10

Hey Foxhunt - did you have to go through the commercial line and pay duties?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #11

no i was not selling the items so they had no issue.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #12

OK - thanks for the input. I think we will just have the materials snail mailed via the USPS.

From reading other posts, sounds like avoiding UPS and FedEx is recommended to avoid some extra surprise fees.

Jenn wants to go with ultraleather pro from Ultrafabrics. She has some samples coming.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Leroy, you have more options than we did because of your location in Washington State. We used Sailrite, and they shipped to Escape for a reasonable shipping charge. If you do decide to ship internationally, make sure to get the receipts for the duties imposed. You can later file for a reimbursement since the trailer is for export.
"file for reimbursemnet" I asked Linda at ETI, she wasn't familiar, I also searched the forum but to no avail. We shipped an item to ETI and we have a charge on our build sheet for (CBSA Postal Import Fee - GST on Duties). Does anyone know how to file for reimbursement? Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 07:47 PM   #14

Trailer: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
We visited JT’s Outdoor Fabrics in Barrie, Ontario, when we attended the Niagara Wine Rally. They had all brands, and we ended up ordering the fabric from them with free shipping to Chilliwack.

Attachment 31517

Fred M.
We also ordered fro JTs Outdoor Fabrics, they were very easy and nice to work with and no taxes or high shipping costs. You can order samples online and since they are located in Canada also Escape received my 2 fabrics for the cushions and shade in about 3 days!
Purplecatstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
"file for reimbursemnet" I asked Linda at ETI, she wasn't familiar, I also searched the forum but to no avail. We shipped an item to ETI and we have a charge on our build sheet for (CBSA Postal Import Fee - GST on Duties). Does anyone know how to file for reimbursement? Thanks
Found it, thanks to Charlie aka tractors
Link to the Canadian rebate forms:

GST189 - General Application for Rebate of GST/HST

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/gst189.html