I just put my deposit in for an Escape 19 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2019, 01:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
The electric looks better but the manual DOES A BETTER JOB! Had mine through two straight nights of thunderstorms. No problem. Yes I know bad things can happen. I did not see "Shiny wheels" on the list. Surely that is just an oversight that will be correced

Disagree, says one guy who has owned and used both. Have you owned and used both? If so, then we have different priorities, and that’s fine.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:17 PM   #42
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHolderfield View Post
I guess I'm dumb... Where are the "2 end walls on the street side"?

Thanks.

Steve
In the 19 reinforce with 3/4 inch plywood the walls between the fridge and the bed, and between the bathroom and the front dinette. They will allow you to attach to the wall at any location and not just the corner framing. So far I have attached low profile TV swing arm brackets on both walls so I can transfer the arm mount and TV to view from the bed or while sitting in the dinette. I see many ideas in this forum for attachments that have been built and attached to these walls.

Options will surprise you long after you purchase your new trailer. The things you thought would be less important can turn out to be the handiest feature after using the trailer for sometime. My number one option is the front storage bin. It is so handy and it protects the lower front from inevitable rock dings and it is isolated from the interior.

Our opinions of what we like should not make you select options. Think about how you and your family will use the trailer and then decide what options would get used and will be import for you. Yes those shiny wheels were important to me.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
In the 19 reinforce with 3/4 inch plywood the walls between the fridge and the bed, and between the bathroom and the front dinette. They will allow you to attach to the wall at any location and not just the corner framing. So far I have attached low profile TV swing arm brackets on both walls so I can transfer the arm mount and TV to view from the bed or while sitting in the dinette. I see many ideas in this forum for attachments that have been built and attached to these walls.

Options will surprise you long after you purchase your new trailer. The things you thought would be less important can turn out to be the handiest feature after using the trailer for sometime. My number one option is the front storage bin. It is so handy and it protects the lower front from inevitable rock dings and it is isolated from the interior.

Our opinions of what we like should not make you select options. Think about how you and your family will use the trailer and then decide what options would get used and will be import for you. Yes those shiny wheels were important to me.
Great advice. Thanks.
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:04 PM   #44

Just signed my build sheet. Now the wait. Wohooo!

Steve
Old 09-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Nice work Steve - what is your pickup date?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Nice work Steve - what is your pickup date?
Well, it will be done before the end of the year, but we can't get up there until March 23rd. Escape has agreed to store it for us free of charge until then. I can hardly wait to make the trip.

Steve
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 PM   #47

Trailer: Casta 2003
If one wants a screen room added to awning would electric with wind sensor cause problem when automatically retracting?
Wardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardb View Post
If one wants a screen room added to awning would electric with wind sensor cause problem when automatically retracting?

The sort of screen rooms that Escape used to sell as an accessory are incompatible with electric awnings.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #49

Trailer: Casta 2003
Thanks sclifrickson, I am sorry too hear that they don't sell the screen room anymore.
Wardb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are alternatives such as the "Clam"
Attached Thumbnails
clam-pop-up-tents-12875-64_1000.jpg  
Old 10-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks sclifrickson, I am sorry too hear that they don't sell the screen room anymore.

A lot of people use a Clam shelter, or similar. Not exactly the same, but possibly more versatile in other ways.

We had a screen room on our 17B but rarely used it, mainly because we managed to avoid super buggy areas during the buggy season.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 PM   #52

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I have heard the screen rooms are heavy and a hassle unless you are stationary for quite a while. With the return of the manual Carefree Fiesta awning there is a possibility that Escape may have screen rooms again. The last I heard which was from Tammy before her departure was that they were talking to Carefree and wanted to offer them again. I would check with Escape to see what your options are. Even if they say no you may be able to get one directly from Carefree but you would have to be willing to install the snaps on your trailer. As was already said there is no compatible screen room with the electric awnings.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #53

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Disagree, says one guy who has owned and used both. Have you owned and used both? If so, then we have different priorities, and that’s fine.
We've been here before but I'll explain from a different perspective:
  • When I told ETI my intention to use the awning in rain, many times heavy, they said not to get electric. Period! Funny, but I'll trust ETI in this respect.

• At the 2018 Mississippi River Rendezvous I mentioned the same requirements and at least two owners of electric awnings said forget the electric and go with the manual.

• When we looked at a couple of Escapes that ETI gave as recommendations, one said forget the electric awning for rain. They also demonstrated their automatic wind sensor and it didn't work. They were embarrassed.

• I also investigated the electric awnings and found too many problems with adjustments, electric failures, and retraction failures. Dometic E9500 Awning and Rain thread answered many of my worries, and with the previous problems decided we wanted a product that meets my knowledge of physics (which is stronger, a supported awning, or a levered awning?). Too many problems on this forum alone for my tastes. A simple search will give credence to my position.

Are manual awning perfect? No they aren't. They rarely unroll going down the road, but it's been known to happen. After 11 campers with awning, going easily 100-200,000 miles down the road and not knowing anyone that has happened to, I don't worry about it. I do know of someone who's spring came loose and helped him get his awning rolled up. That was no problem. I sure you can quote other problems. If I do have a problem I don't want it electrical.

Our Cougar and Lance campers had electric awnings and they sure were nice pressing a button. If I didn't sit underneath my fully-extended awnings, cooking with charcoal/wood, while under heavy rain, I would probably have one, but that physics problem still exists.

In the end we purchase what we want. I do understand why some want an electric awning, but being as good or better in the rain is not one of the reasons. I'll take a manual that passes the physics test.

OTOH, you have your priorities and I'm OK with that.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #54

We use a Eureka Hex XL

Our 17B came with a awning screen room. I thought it was sort of useless. I can’t get a picnic table under the awning and still open the door to the trailer. We set the Eureka screen room up over the picnic table if rain is forecast or if the bugs are bad. We eat outside 99% of the time.

I prefer the manual awning. It is structurally stronger and simple. I expect it to last 50 years with a new fabric every 10 years. I believe in KISS, keep it simple stupid. I ordered my new 19 with very few options, just upgrades that cause problems. My favorite trailer I owned was the 1977 Trillium 4500 15’, very basic, dry and warm in the rain.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:47 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All awnings, manual or 12v, are designed for shade. There are warnings in the manual that state this fact as well as not to leave it unattended.
Quote from Carefree manual instruction booklet
NOTICE Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from the
sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.
NOTICE It is recommended that if leaving the RV unattended for a length of time, retract the awning to avoid unexpected weather conditions.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #56

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Or, "Not for internal consumption".
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #57

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
All awnings, manual or 12v, are designed for shade. There are warnings in the manual that state this fact as well as not to leave it unattended.
Quote from Carefree manual instruction booklet
NOTICE Awnings are designed to provide shade and protection from the
sun. The effects of wind and rain on an awning are unpredictable and can cause severe damage to the awning and/or the vehicle. If wind or extended periods of rain are expected, roll up the awning.
NOTICE It is recommended that if leaving the RV unattended for a length of time, retract the awning to avoid unexpected weather conditions.
Those are the just the generic warnings written by the company lawyer.
Just to be fair the manual for the Carefree Fiesta (page 4) also says:
RAIN RELEASE SETTING
“If the awning is extended during rain, position one arm at minimum pitch and the other arm at maximum pitch. This will provide slope to allow the water to run off and prevent pooling.”
Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 PM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnfrombigt View Post
The electric looks better but the manual DOES A BETTER JOB! Had mine through two straight nights of thunderstorms. No problem. Yes I know bad things can happen. I did not see "Shiny wheels" on the list. Surely that is just an oversight that will be correced
Having owned and camped with two FG trailers with manual awnings and one FG trailer with a power awning , I find neither style to be superior or inferior .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #59

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Having owned and camped with two FG trailers with manual awnings and one FG trailer with a power awning , I find neither style to be superior or inferior .
I agree! Each has their own set of advantages/disadvantages. Where one is superior in one category, the other may be superior in another. You need to decide how you plan on using your awning and buy the one that fits those needs.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Our 17B came with a awning screen room. I thought it was sort of useless. I can’t get a picnic table under the awning and still open the door to the trailer. We set the Eureka screen room up over the picnic table if rain is forecast or if the bugs are bad. We eat outside 99% of the time.

I prefer the manual awning. It is structurally stronger and simple. I expect it to last 50 years with a new fabric every 10 years. I believe in KISS, keep it simple stupid. I ordered my new 19 with very few options, just upgrades that cause problems. My favorite trailer I owned was the 1977 Trillium 4500 15’, very basic, dry and warm in the rain.
I meant to post a pic with the dining shelter.
Attached Thumbnails
9C58C737-D0E8-4DCC-B24E-CDEB3F7EF2B4.jpg