I Wish I Had ... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Love the look of the aluminium wheels on the 19 when the price was $450 but at $750 that’s really hard to justify for me. I think the steal wheels would have to do with a spray of hammer tone silver paint.
Wish we had more time for camping!

Also, have wished we would have ordered the aluminum wheels for $450. They don't add much as far as function, but better reflect the quality of the rest of the trailer, especially when it has been freshly waxed. Seemed like a luxury at the time.

Looks like you can buy the wheels for around $75 each, but there would be a mounting cost on top of that.

https://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/...ategory_page=1
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Glad we have the high lift axle, our driveway requires it, some of the roads in Mexico are full of deep potholes that we need it, and someday we'd like to go to Chaco Canyon.

Glad we got the winterizing T valve, used about a gallon of RV antifreeze to winterize, flushing out was easy also. Also glad we have no outside showers as there is something else to winterize.

Glad we have the detachable power cord. Rodents ate our power cord door on our Casita and gained access. One less hole for rodent intrusion.

Glad we got the 1 way hot water heater. We never hookup and almost never use the the water heater anyway.

Glad we have the solar panels, dual 6 V batteries, inverter, and transfer switch. We never hookup and always have enough power except for...

Glad we have the A.C. and a 3000 watt genset for boondocking in AZ.

Cannot think of anything we should have added.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Thanks for all those who had suggestions for the power cord. Unfortunately, the existing cutout is wider than the replacement fitting for the removable cord.

As a compromise, I scoured the local dollar store and spotted a stool that when inverted, would serve as a basket for the coiled-up power cord. I secured it to the floor top down, and then reattached the clamp for the cord inside. Works well and keeps the cord away form anything else stored under the seat! Pics attached - cord out and cord in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190324_105802.jpg   IMG_20190324_111237.jpg  
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the existing cutout is wider than the replacement fitting.

As a compromise, I scoured the local dollar store and spotted a stool that when inverted, would serve as a basket for the coiled-up power cord. I secured it to the floor top down, and then reattached the clamp for the cord inside. Works well and keeps the cord away form anything else stored under the seat! Pics attached - cord out and cord in.
That looks great for under the seat of a 17...but under the far corner of the mattress in a 19 is two different adventures.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I had the 19 I ripped a few pieces of
1x1 and bought some “pet screen”’ at the hardware store. I used the framework under the bed for anchoring and made two frames. I air nailed the frames in with finish nails. Then when I pushed the cord in, it had an area of its own and did not get tangled. Worked well the whole time we had it. The screen is tough and never tore out. Lightweight and let air circulate.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Both kinds of cords work, pull out or detached. Neither is really any better than the other. If something works 100% of the time, how can the other work better? Since I have a 5er, I prefer everything to be part of the trailer. Otherwise I've got to find a place to store it. For me, that can become a PITA, on the floor of the trailer, in a container of some sort in bed of the truck and on and on. If I could figure it out, I'd love to have a pull out water hose! YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some of the early Olivers had pull out electric and water hoses on those automatic retracting reels, sharp idea.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
That looks great for under the seat of a 17...but under the far corner of the mattress in a 19 is two different adventures.
Tell me about it ! I cut the original cord and installed a non removable cord set . Made a extra cord with the Escape cut off . Really like your door solution and what we were used to on other RV's . Trying to untangle the cord under the bed in the dark , in the rain too was the last straw . But your solution is a answer too . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
If I ever order a new Escape the detachable power cord option is one of those things I would go why? The 2014 we purchased came with detached and since I have a good space to keep it with the aluminum storage box ours also came with I sort of like the detachable now I have it. I figure one less space for something to get in the better but again this is a minor thing I think so would be a coin toss thing and would not stop me from buying one with either.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #30

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
On our previous trailer we had several occasions where mice got in while the trailer was in storage and had quite a party. On the Escape the power cord entry port seemed to me like the only possible point of vulnerability to the little critters so we ordered the removable power cord for that reason.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
I wish I had added the access door under our u-shaped dinette. Also wish I had the trailer pre-wired for solar. And wish I had NOT gotten the flip up table in the bed area, it was too much in the way, so I removed it. And I wish i had NOT let ETI install our dinette table. We never use it, and now I want to remove those two leg holders, but don't want all of those holes in our vinyl. Other than that, we are thrilled.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
We have had our 2018 Escape 21 coming up on a year now. We did not get too many options and have been mostly happy with our decisions. We did not get Solar, Dual 6V, Awning Windows, Microwave,Jack Antenna,or some of the other popular options. We did get the following options in order of our favorites: U-Shaped Dinette, Front Storage Box, Window over the Drawer Stack, Portable Solar Port, Two extra Exterior Storage Hatches, Group 29 Battery, Bathroom window, lots of extra USB/110 Outlets, Cable TV hook up, and the oven. We also had ETI cut all four corners of the U-Shaped Dinette Table top the same, which kinda works well with the Lagun Table Mount.

What we regret:

We got two counter extenders on either side of the dinette. We removed the one on the driver's side almost immediately. It was more in the way than it was helpful.

We had ETI mount the table in the dinette even though we knew when we got home to California I was going to install a Lagun Table Mount. Now I have noticeable little holes in the floor where the original posts were. They are filled with silicone but still noticeable.

I had ETI make extra Table top (15"x34") that could be dropped down to make the dinette a lounge by using the two 15" dinette cushions. The idea was good but with the Lagun Table Mount being so adjustable we find it so comfortable that we never make the dinette into the lounge position.

By far the best mod I have done is adding the Lagun table mount. I used the standard ETI Table Top. I found the ETI table sliding mechanism to be unnecessary so I removed it.

We love our trailer.We have used it many many times this past year and we have had zero problems.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
...What we regret:

We got two counter extenders on either side of the dinette. We removed the one on the driver's side almost immediately. It was more in the way than it was helpful...
I'm not quite ready to admit we regret getting the flip ups at the dinette, but we sure don't seem to use them and they seem to be in the way when deployed.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'm not quite ready to admit we regret getting the flip ups at the dinette, but we sure don't seem to use them and they seem to be in the way when deployed.
We ordered flip ups on both sides of the dinette in our new 5.0TA we'll pick up in two weeks. I doubt we will ever use them ourselves....we got them to provide perching space for our cats to sit on and look out the window when we are out. There are a number of things in our trailer just for the cats....
Old 03-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #35

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
There are a number of things in our trailer just for the cats...
Cats & dogs can really increase the quality of life.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
I wish we had either a few 12v drops or few more 12v USB outlets. We boondock the majority of the time and didn't get the inverter as we don't really need 120v when camping (no TV or microwave). Without knowing how we would use the trailer, we just had an extra 12v USB outlet installed in the bed area and an extra one on the exterior passenger side. Only having one 12v USB outlet under the dinette (which is hard to reach) and 1 at the foot of the bed leaves isnt very convenient. If I was to do it again, I would want one the head of the bed (fridge side for us) possibly under the upper cabinet facing down, one at the front door with the 120v, and maybe one in the kitchen area.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I used one of these to convert my 19. My only regret is that I never did it earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It would seem that the issue with the power cord is more a poor memory problem than any fault with the cord .
I don't understand the worry of some folks about accidentally leaving it behind, good memory or not. Doesn't everyone do a trailer and site check before they leave? When I disconnect I take the 30 seconds to coil it up and stow it, easy peasy.

Time to fess up. Has anyone here left their detachable power cord behind?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought I did, I even ordered a new one from Walmart. We had a hasty departure due to an emergency at home and I pictured the cable lying on the picnic table. Come springtime, I found the original inside a cardboard box packed in the garage?
Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #39

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
What we regret:

We got two counter extenders on either side of the dinette. We removed the one on the driver's side almost immediately. It was more in the way than it was helpful.

We had ETI mount the table in the dinette even though we knew when we got home to California I was going to install a Lagun Table Mount. Now I have noticeable little holes in the floor where the original posts were. They are filled with silicone but still noticeable.
I wore myself out re: trying to decide whether or not to have Escape mount the table in the dinette like you did. I purchased a Lagun Table Mount as well. I didn't think there would be time nor the inclination fiddling around trying to rig out the Lagun Table Mount 2,800 miles away from home base. I also felt like I needed to have the default mounting system installed since we were going to be gone 2 weeks.

Here is my plan for better or worse. I'm going to ask for a spare piece of linoleum. 1. Use a Forstner Bit to (carefully) cut out offending bolt holes. 2. Use a plug cutter to make a linoleum plug. (Same size of course). Glue with adhesive (liquid nail, yellow glue, etc.) Practice first with test pieces of linoleum glued to any scrap piece of plywood until I've got it down pat. Then I will install the Lagun Table Mount. I'm going to ditch the table top and make a custom one out of something splashy. Probably figured maple since the cabinets will be maple.

Quote:
I had ETI make extra Table top (15"x34") that could be dropped down to make the dinette a lounge by using the two 15" dinette cushions. The idea was good but with the Lagun Table Mount being so adjustable we find it so comfortable that we never make the dinette into the lounge position.
That is what I was hoping to hear and the reason why I got one.

Quote:
We love our trailer.We have used it many many times this past year and we have had zero problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Forstner Bit.jpg   Plug Cutter.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #40

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
I wish I would have got the under floor spray on foam. Would help if you find yourself in below freezing weather for a few days while on an extended trip. Also, the fact that the foam would cover up the CW/HW PEX lines from under the bed to the kitchen faucet (E21). There is a concern about UV degradation on these lines. I'm still mulling over what to do about it. I just ordered some split loom tubing to try: https://amzn.to/2GoB7uc

Tried some closed cell insulation last night but the PEX lines are too close to the grey water tank. Afraid I might break them if I pull too much.

If I were to do it over and get a new E21 model with a U-shaped dinette, I would ask ETI to run the CW/HW lines to the kitchen thru the dinette area so that all CW/HW piping is inside the trailer. ETI may turn me down, but doesn't hurt to ask. Downside is the extra run of HW pipe from the heater so you would have to run the sink faucet longer to get HW.