I Wish I Had ... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I Wish I Had ...

I wish I had ….

One year plus with my Escape 17B, I can reflect on my choices for options:

Very glad I chose the upgraded fridge, solar package, storm windows and extra insulation, storage box, bathroom window, high lift and aluminum wheels.

Neutral on the kitchen window.

I wish I had ordered the detachable power cord.

I also wish I stepped up to the 19 footer. Well, maybe!

Your reflections?
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape
https://www.amazon.com/Cynder-00637-...s%2C191&sr=8-5

Here is an example of the easiest way to have a detachable power cord. The original stays coiled up and the extension plugs into it.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Here is a conversion kit...https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Outdoor-M...gateway&sr=8-9
Old 03-23-2019, 11:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1998 Casita Spirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I wish I had ….

One year plus with my Escape 17B, I can reflect on my choices for options:

Very glad I chose the upgraded fridge, solar package, storm windows and extra insulation, storage box, bathroom window, high lift and aluminum wheels.

Neutral on the kitchen window.

I wish I had ordered the detachable power cord.

I also wish I stepped up to the 19 footer. Well, maybe!

Your reflections?
Great post! Why are you glad you upgraded the fridge and got the high lift axel and why do you wish you had gotten the detachable power cord? I hope others chime in on this and give their “whys”.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'm glad I don't have the detachable cord. Haven't forgotten it anywhere. I only have as much cord as I need to reach the post ( the rest is still inside the trailer, clean and dry ).

I don't struggle with connecting it at the trailer ( there are solutions apparently ).

You'll hear contrary opinions, about now.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
I agree with Lisa. Great Post. I'm working on my build sheet this morning and am wondering where you needed the high lift axle? I would prefer to skip this option.
-Bill
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Cynder-00637-...s%2C191&sr=8-5

Here is an example of the easiest way to have a detachable power cord. The original stays coiled up and the extension plugs into it.
I think I will do this. It gives an added option when the power pole is more than 25' away. I just deleted this option.
Thanks
-Bill
GeorgiaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
I agree with Lisa. Great Post. I'm working on my build sheet this morning and am wondering where you needed the high lift axle? I would prefer to skip this option.
-Bill

We’ve towed our trailer (unintentionally) through a couple areas well off the beaten path where we probably should not have, and would not have if we’d known what we were getting into. In those couple of instances we were very glad to have the lift kit. So for that purpose, we’ve used it about as much as we’ve used the air conditioner, which is our most expensive option that we rarely use.

On the other hand, we ‘use’ the high lift axle every time we empty our holding tanks. The few extra inches provides a little more help to gravity to get things out, and there have been a few times in unusual circumstances when we needed the extra height to create any downhill grade at all for the stinky slinky. Worth it to me just for this ‘feature’, and I’m reminded every time I do the slooooow gray dump in particular.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I wish we had room darkening shades, an option not available from Escape. Also wish we had 2 more inches in the bed, 2 more inches of cooking space around the stove, and 2 more inches in the bathroom. (19??).
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I wish we had room darkening shades, an option not available from Escape. Also wish we had 2 more inches in the bed, 2 more inches of cooking space around the stove, and 2 more inches in the bathroom. (19??).

The bigger bed was the primary reason that we sold our 17B for a 19, but I greatly appreciate the couple extra inches in the bathroom every time I use it.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did an upgrade like this on a previous unit, it worked very well.

The reason for the changes: after multiple RV's of multiple manufacturers.

We camp in all seasons, during the cold weather the cord was hard to stuff back inside the cavity, and withdraw. It often hung up inside the cavity.

The largest reason was the flip door, the hinge tabs leak water inside the units. If you put an "eyebrow" above the door you can stop the leak, otherwise there is water on the inside of the unit to mold or rot anything it can.

The flip door is the least expensive option so most manufacturers use them.

My opinion. All of our RV's will have the removable cord from now on.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:05 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
"I wish I had"...put in a second 120v and 12v outlets on the other side of the U dinette. We had a second one in our build plan but I took it out to save a few bucks. That was dumb and I sure wish we had one on each side of the U dinette.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
Great post! Why are you glad you upgraded the fridge and got the high lift axel and why do you wish you had gotten the detachable power cord? I hope others chime in on this and give their “whys”.
Thanks for your comments! re: options

1) Lift kit - a number of campsites I frequent are off forestry service roads which can have deep ruts and protruding rocks. Also we have vehicle ferries here on the coast of BC along with 20 ft tides. I have seen trailers bottom-out on the access ramps at extremely low tides!

2) Larger fridge - for more freezer capacity.

3) External power cord - one less unsealed opening on the exterior, more usable interior storage and not having to wipe clean a wet and dirty power cord as you feed it back into the trailer.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm glad I don't have the detachable cord. Haven't forgotten it anywhere. I only have as much cord as I need to reach the post ( the rest is still inside the trailer, clean and dry ).

I don't struggle with connecting it at the trailer ( there are solutions apparently ).

You'll hear contrary opinions, about now.
Yep, had detachable on my Campster and had to remember it. Love the attached cord!
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After 3 Escapes with detached, I opted for attached. One, for the reason Glenn stated and two, easier to use a 15 amp extension and only use the 30 when a/c is needed.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
It would seem that the issue with the power cord is more a poor memory problem than any fault with the cord .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have had both cords. I can’t find much one over the other benefit or fault. I boxed in the area under the bed on the 19 so the cord had its own space and couldn’t tangle with other under the bed items. On both rigs I wipe the cord down each time i put it away and make sure it’s put away via the door frame checklist. I have enough adapters along to make sure my extension cord will hook up if needed. I did have to replace the cover on the 19 as it wouldn’t stay closed. Not expensive and not a big job.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If I had to buy a new trailer I would not spend the extra to get the power awning or the awning windows. The manual awning was not an option when we purchased.

Even though the power awning is a neat idea and I like that the material is in a case and out of the sun...I don’t like having to use up battery power to open and close it. I also don’t like not being able to put it half way down to clean the top properly without a ladder. Money saved would go to a replacement top for the manual in 10 to 15 years, so not much saving over time.

Since the closed awning arms would be in the the way of one or two windows opening fully...I would just get the sliders even though I really like the look and operation of the awning windows.

One outside hatch just doesn’t cut it for our camping style but I knew I was going to add more after purchase.

I have dealt with shoving the power cord into a hole...then trying to get it back out. That is unacceptable when it requires you to fix the tangle problem under the bed of a 19. However I am not a fan of a detachable cord either.

Love the look of the aluminium wheels on the 19 when the price was $450 but at $750 that’s really hard to justify for me. I think the steal wheels would have to do with a spray of hammer tone silver paint.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #19

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Seems like a small thing, but I wish I had had ETI add easy access to 12V DC power and ground (even just a drop cord) somewhere in the lower galley cabinets on our build sheet. I'd like to install/mount some 12V mods (small fan, illuminated switches, etc) by the entry door, and the closest 12V access on our 2017 21' is the range hood (inconvenient to run wires up a wall to it) and the 12V battery itself (long run to its location under the passenger side rear dinette seat). But if that's my biggest problem, then I guess I'm doing okay.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
I wish I had...

Hi: suncoastdancers...
1- More time for camping, and
2- Less time for modding!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote