I'd love to hear your ideas for cheaper delivery - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Question I'd love to hear your ideas for cheaper delivery

Forgive me a zillion times if this has been asked and answered, but I'm gonna ask anyway ... Isn't there a cheaper was to get delivery than $2 per mile?

I'd love to make the road trip over the river and thru the woods, but with my bladder and ADD it'd will take me 2 weeks to get there and I'm NOT retired yet.

Has anybody ever cooped with other East Coasters and ordered a full truckload ? I think I could get a full truckload for $2 per mile (or less) Has anyone contacted Escape or a professional shipping company to ask this?

Your thoughst?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Both of my deliveries were with multiple trailers being delivered with a savings to all. The best bet maybe a trip to Goshen, In where Escape gets most of their parts on the return trips. I believe you can get something less expensive delivered there.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We have had the same dilemma. I did check with a professional shipping company, and what we found was that it was even more expensive to go that way. And as far as going through Escape, I think they only offer two options. For $2 (Canadian) per mile, you can have it delivered directly to your door. Or for a flat $4000 (again Canadian, so currently around $3000 US I think), they can deliver it to Goshen Indiana and you can meet the delivery company there and take possession. In both of these instances, it does not matter how many campers are on the truck, you pay the same regardless. While that seems very odd to me, that is just the way it is. We have lucked out and someone (a retired, soon to be Escape owner) has offered to pick up our camper and deliver it to our door, at a slightly lower per mile rate than Escape. But when you're talking 2500 miles, slightly lower can translate to significant savings.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Or find a friend, relative, or retired person who wiuld be willing to make the trip for you.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
Forgive me a zillion times if this has been asked and answered, but I'm gonna ask anyway ... Isn't there a cheaper was to get delivery than $2 per mile?

I'd love to make the road trip over the river and thru the woods, but with my bladder and ADD it'd will take me 2 weeks to get there and I'm NOT retired yet.

Has anybody ever cooped with other East Coasters and ordered a full truckload ? I think I could get a full truckload for $2 per mile (or less) Has anyone contacted Escape or a professional shipping company to ask this?

Your thoughst?
Hi: Richard in Georgia... Sorry I can't make a cheaper suggestion but the Destination/delivery charge on my wife's Focus for the 150 mile trip was $1500!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040201.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I've used U-Ship (a consolidator/broker) to ship trailers and tractors a few times; worked well for me. Had a Casita brought by flatbed from Denver 1281 miles to Portland, Oregon in the dead of winter over the Rockies for $975 (tip included.) https://www.uship.com/

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

tractors 1 - I got an estimate from uship "Your range is between $962-$2,360 with an average price of $1,573." .... for a Escape 19 .... I need some due diligence on this outfit.
Old 12-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
One thing to consider is that Escape is shipping the trailers on a flat bed or on a trailer behind it. The wheels are not on the ground so when you receive the trailer it has no mileage on it, no damage, no chips. Just wash the bugs off and go camping. Many of these shipping companies will tow your trailer and not carry it on a truck.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0060.jpg  
Old 12-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
As far as I know, Escape has sent trailers towed on the ground, not flatbed every time. Don't know if they still ever do that.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Georgia View Post
tractors 1 - I got an estimate from uship "Your range is between $962-$2,360 with an average price of $1,573." .... for a Escape 19 .... I need some due diligence on this outfit.
Sent you a PM

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA #58
I just picked up my new 5.0TA from ETI at the beginning of November and had my truck transported up there from North Florida by open transport semi so I only had to drive it back. The staff at ETI offered that not too many customers do this and I should mention it on the Forum. I used "Ship a Car Direct" (SCD) and had a good experience. It cost $1475 from North FL to Seattle. Prices may vary depending on the time of year. I was told, after they called back to reduce the price, that since it was getting cold the Canadian snow birds were headed south so the truckers were looking for cars to haul north to avoid a deadhead (empty) trip.
Getting your hands back on the vehicle can be a bit of a challenge as the business is pretty fluid so hard and set delivery times are hard to come by. But again, I did get the truck back in one piece with no damage so I only had to drive it back 4k miles, sure beats 8k.
BTW, SCD just arranges the transport with the actual shipper. They claim to have a very tight screening method that knocks out most of the transporters. Also you don't have to pay the transporter until the transporter hand you the vehicle back at the end of the journey. You do have to pay SCD before they arrange the transport but the fee is a small part of the overall cost. Mine was $250. Look them up on the YouTube where they have profession produced informational short features that will answer a lot of your questions. I hate to sound like a commercial and I don't have any financial arrangement with them. It just worked out as a great solution to a major problem I had.
GusGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:58 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Gus, brilliant idea!

Allows a long distance buyer to meet the factory and camp nearby for a shakedown session, then tour the US on the way home.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Gus, sort of what we did. Since we are still working for a living, we barged our truck down to Tacoma. Flew into Seattle, picked up our trailer and spent a nice leisurely month long fall trip driving it back home. Scott

Scott & Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Fantastic idea for anyone in the southeast and up the whole east coast, especially those short on time.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Gus -DING! DING! DING! .... now, THAT"S some good advice
Old 12-09-2015, 02:40 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Gus, brilliant idea!

Allows a long distance buyer to meet the factory and camp nearby for a shakedown session, then tour the US on the way home.
I second that !......Thanks Gus.

Great plan C.

My quote from Raleigh -> Seattle for a Highlander is $1445 via eric@shipacardirect.com
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA #58
Glad I could help you and repay some of the help I've gotten from the Forum. I also recommend the motel just down the street from ETI near the traffic light at the Interstate exit ramp, I think it was a Best Western. They have a great comp. breakfast and helpful staff. There's a huge indoor garden atrium at the motel with pool and hot tub that reminded me of my backyard here in Florida. Also, for cheap gas make sure you download the Flying J and Love's Apps. for your phone. I got regular for 1.659/gal in Texas using them.
Jason was my SCD Rep.
GusGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:30 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA to be finished in March and picked up in May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGill View Post
I just picked up my new 5.0TA from ETI at the beginning of November and had my truck transported up there from North Florida by open transport semi so I only had to drive it back. The staff at ETI offered that not too many customers do this and I should mention it on the Forum. I used "Ship a Car Direct" (SCD) and had a good experience. It cost $1475 from North FL to Seattle. . . . Getting your hands back on the vehicle can be a bit of a challenge as the business is pretty fluid so hard and set delivery times are hard to come by.
Yes, GREAT IDEA!. Bids range $1200-$1500 to transport my F150 from NC to Seattle, but my MAJOR problem is the delivery windows are wide (3 to 5 days) and I (or someone I trust) must sign for my vehicle when the carrier delivers it. So, I'd have to arrive 3 to 5 days early just to make sure I'm there when the vehicle arrives.

When you were making arrangements, did you find shorter delivery windows?
Did you personally sign for your vehicle?
Did you consider transport to ETI (instead of Seattle)?
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot TF20 DLX Fifth Wheel
This is an excellent idea!

Does anyone know if this option is still available? We're thinking of ordering a new 5.0TA but delivery to Kentucky would be almost $5k and driving 2,500 miles, while this seems doable, would still cost a nearly $2,000 in fuel and hotel/food. Now, that's a big savings from $5k and make no mistake that I'd jump at any chance to save $5k but I'd need 2 weeks vacation to make that drive on top of the expenses. I could be in Goshen, IN in less than a day and back home the same day, baring complications.

I have emailed ETI about this idea but I was pretty excited to find this post so I resurrecting an old thread, looking for an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
We have had the same dilemma. I did check with a professional shipping company, and what we found was that it was even more expensive to go that way. And as far as going through Escape, I think they only offer two options. For $2 (Canadian) per mile, you can have it delivered directly to your door. Or for a flat $4000 (again Canadian, so currently around $3000 US I think), they can deliver it to Goshen Indiana and you can meet the delivery company there and take possession. In both of these instances, it does not matter how many campers are on the truck, you pay the same regardless. While that seems very odd to me, that is just the way it is. We have lucked out and someone (a retired, soon to be Escape owner) has offered to pick up our camper and deliver it to our door, at a slightly lower per mile rate than Escape. But when you're talking 2500 miles, slightly lower can translate to significant savings.
TheWanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
... but I'd need 2 weeks vacation to make that drive on top of the expenses.
You could make a nice holiday out of the trip. I have heard of lots of great experiences picking up a trailer. Holidays and an Escape trailer is what it is all about. This is what I would do if needed, probably boost it to Escape in short order, and take my time coming home.

Fortunately for me, it is just a very full days drive, at least 10 hours with a stop or two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote